NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I never saw the release that Live Nation joined up. That is awesome. I have actually been thinking why Charlotte doesn't have a second amphitheater like most cities. I was thinking the city really needs something to go up against Lakewood (Atlanta), Wolf Trap (NoVa/DC) or Ravinia (Chicago). Hopefully now Charlotte can get some mid-tier acts that won't play in a 15,000 seat amphitheater. Good news indeed!

I don't know why I am just posting this now... but I have a friend that is a drummer in a Victory Records band and we talked a while back and I was telling him about this property. He told me that they already have space reserved here for recording an upcoming album as well as studio space to film music videos, which I thought was pretty cool. Last week I also drove over the new extension and although nothing spectacular (just a freshly paved nice wide 2 way road), that road was crucial to any success for this property; the old route over the train tracks was not ever an option. Now that the vehicle access to this property is in place, I hope something takes place in the transit or pedestrian aspect for access.

Wow, that siteplan is unbelievably penile.

It will take a long time for this area to reach a point where I think it will be ready for such a development, but I think it is possible in the next cycle if they continue to fill the actual NC Music Factory with places people go.

I checked out the N.C. Music Factory area the other day for the first time. It is quite awkward to find unless you are intimately familiar with uptown. Is anyone aware of any plans to make the area walkable from central uptown? Are there plans to provide a mode of transport for tourists and residents in the central uptown area? I think the place is great and hope it is a huge success.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good morning. Been following for a long time, and finally decided to say hey...On post, just noticed a listing for the Offsring playing a show at the Boutique Amphitheatre at the Music Factory, Charlotte. 07/14/2009 I guess they are ready to get going.

I guess their visit to Charlotte last summer was an inspiring one then, and they are returning. I don't think they had really been in Charlotte before last summer. I know they liked the interactive lights on 7th St Station and raved about the uptown atmosphere at the time.

I guess their visit to Charlotte last summer was an inspiring one then, and they are returning. I don't think they had really been in Charlotte before last summer. I know they liked the interactive lights on 7th St Station and raved about the uptown atmosphere at the time.

that was a fun night. i'm not dying to pay to see their show considering i saw them last year for free, but if nothing else crops up i'll go just to check out and support the music factory.

that was a fun night. i'm not dying to pay to see their show considering i saw them last year for free, but if nothing else crops up i'll go just to check out and support the music factory.

I agree. I think the two venues, Filmore and the ampitheatre, will bring acts that may have otherwise skipped the QC. It always seems that mid level acts drift to Ashville, or Raleigh because they have venues in the 1,500 to 5,000 person capacity. The Music Factory is certainly going to need people to support it, because Ashville and Raleigh are well established. Also, just because they are new and have LiveNation behind them doesn't guarantee success, but let's hope and show up.

I'm a big fan of The Fray and noticed in their last newsletter they had changed the venue for Charlotte from Verizon Wireless Amphitheater to Charlotte Boutique Amphitheatre which is apparently the name of the venue at the NC Music Factory.

Seems odd that they would change the venue like that after tickets have already been on sale for a couple of weeks. I couldn't find anything on them actually playing at the NC Music Factory though, so perhaps they are still playing at the original location.

I'm a big fan of The Fray and noticed in their last newsletter they had changed the venue for Charlotte from Verizon Wireless Amphitheater to Charlotte Boutique Amphitheatre which is apparently the name of the venue at the NC Music Factory.

Seems odd that they would change the venue like that after tickets have already been on sale for a couple of weeks. I couldn't find anything on them actually playing at the NC Music Factory though, so perhaps they are still playing at the original location.

It might just be that they weren't or won't sell enough tickets to fill Verizon. Quite a few shows at Verizon don't actually sell very well and in the week or two preceeding the show the city will be awash in free tickets. We have friends that work in both local radio and TV and they'll be handing them out all over. They do this because the parking and concession sales bring in tons of revenue plus they do sell a lot of tickets.

I'd guess that with a new outdoor option that isn't so huge (ever been to a half full Verizon show? The place feels deserted) more smaller bands will opt for it for a more intimate setting. Personally I'm glad -- we don't go to Verizon much just because of the horrendous traffic to get in.

• 3 weeks later...

So NC Music Factory has a new updated Site Plan that includes some new names I had heard speculation about, but had not had firm confirmations about. Here is the siteplan.

post-17104-1239659234_thumb.jpg

So we have Fillmore, Wet Willies, Crobar, Butter, Boutique Ampitheatre, Garden & Gun Club. Sounds like we are getting a good mix. I am very excited about Butter, having eaten at the one in NoHo. It was some of the best food I have ever had. Crobar will surely steal the Trance/House/Breaks/Drum&Bass acts that go to the Forum and Velocity (if it still exists).

It appears that Gov't Mule is the first confirmed act at the Charlotte Filmore... The venue is set to open in June, so someone else will apparently be opening the Filmore. The Fray is schedule to open the ampitheater... It would be interesting to see what happens with acts that normally book at Amos' and Tremont Music Hall.