NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I've been pretty impressed with the schedule at the Fillmore thus far as well. I already have tickets to see the Black Crowes and will go see Lenny Kravitz as well. Like most, I'm not a huge fan of Live Nation, so I try to grab tickets on the "no fee Wednesday" as often as they advertise it. As far as beer prices, I agree they are high. However, I'm there to enjoy the show and not get smashed so that prices are fine to me. I will put back a few but that's about it... I think keeping the beer prices higher is good b/c it keeps most people in check. If beers are $2 or $3, then more people go there to get hammered than actually see the band that's playing... That leads to other problems as we know. I maybe go to 1 or 2 shows at the Verizon Ampitheater a year, so while the driving situation can be a pain, it's not going to be prevent me from going to a marquee show like Coldplay or giving into my guilty pleasure of 80s hair bands (yea I diverse taste in music).

To actually go back on topic, NC Music Factory remade their web site.. It has a whole bunch of info on the venues, upcoming shows and even some info on residential portion of the project (which I don't think existed before).

To actually go back on topic, NC Music Factory remade their web site.. It has a whole bunch of info on the venues, upcoming shows and even some info on residential portion of the project (which I don't think existed before).

Yes, and a lot of people are supprised to know there are (I think) somewhere between two and three dozen offices in the complex, the majority of which are already leased.

I think a big draw for NCMF will be when some other venues are open. Then people will pre-game and post-party at Wet Willies or another on site bar.

If the NCMF gets built out with all the venues planned, it may overshadow Epicenter

Yes, and a lot of people are supprised to know there are (I think) somewhere between two and three dozen offices in the complex, the majority of which are already leased.

I think a big draw for NCMF will be when some other venues are open. Then people will pre-game and post-party at Wet Willies or another on site bar.

If the NCMF gets built out with all the venues planned, it may overshadow Epicenter

I agree about the fact it may one day over shadow Epicentre. To me, this place has so much more character than the Epicentre. If the residential portion does get built out, and by the way the web site reads we may seen something sooner rather than later, it will become it's own unique district within uptown. And lets not forget NCMF doesn't have the legal overhead of Epicentre either :)

I've been pretty impressed with the schedule at the Fillmore thus far as well. I already have tickets to see the Black Crowes and will go see Lenny Kravitz as well. Like most, I'm not a huge fan of Live Nation, so I try to grab tickets on the "no fee Wednesday" as often as they advertise it. As far as beer prices, I agree they are high. However, I'm there to enjoy the show and not get smashed so that prices are fine to me. I will put back a few but that's about it... I think keeping the beer prices higher is good b/c it keeps most people in check. If beers are $2 or $3, then more people go there to get hammered than actually see the band that's playing... That leads to other problems as we know. I maybe go to 1 or 2 shows at the Verizon Ampitheater a year, so while the driving situation can be a pain, it's not going to be prevent me from going to a marquee show like Coldplay or giving into my guilty pleasure of 80s hair bands (yea I diverse taste in music).

Wow, this gives me quite a bit more confidence that the places mentioned will actually opened. There are renderings of Butter, and the actual Crobar logo. If you go on the Crobar website, Charlotte is listed - http://www.crobar.com/main.php?city=charlotte. Charlotte is not listed on the Wet Willie's website yet, though. I have some more faith in this place, though...

• 2 weeks later...

After already seeing shows at the 5k seat amphitheater, I finally had the chance to see a show at the Fillmore last night. The Black Crowes were in town... Great show put on by them. The sound was awesome. The interior decor was pretty sweet looking with the chandeliers hanging above and the general ambiance was good. The place was packed but yet, I didn't find it hard to get a beer or hit the rest room. I think there were some complaints about this before, so I'm guessing they've fixed that. Yea, the beers were on the expensive side... $9 for a 24 oz ML. Quite honestly, if I'm paying $50 to see a band I'm there for the band not to get hammered. So no biggie to me. My only complaint may be the parking after the show. While it was convenient b/c it was right out there, it was a pain b/c there was no body directing people except a couple cops on Seaboard street. There was a line of taxis waiting for people so if you chose that route, it's pretty convenient to get in and out. Hopefully they'll have a shuttle or something set up down the road... Looking forward to many more shows there though!

EDIT: I did notice a sign next to the Mattie's diner displaying the planned residential and office component as "coming soon"... So not sure, if that is going to get built out sooner rather than later.

Edited by dbull75

Yeah, it appears that they are trying to capitalize on their success at the NCMF to get momentum on selling and building Deco One, which is a design that is far better than the original project as I recall.

I wish them the best of luck with mixing the uses on in the area. I think that the fact that they have pulled in so many great acts to NCMF has made this project a surprising success.

Last month I was at the Japanese Steakhouse at Birkdale with friends and heard some random guy, there for his birthday with his parents, telling his family how much fun he had at Halo and Fillmore. It was funny hearing him describe its location, but still, I'm sure those conversations are going on all over the place if people have a good time, and it will help spur people going out there and to shows there.

I do find it funny how they need to put up signs at Graham/9th and Graham/10th telling people that is not the way in. People are trying to go that way because their navigation systems and Google Maps don't have Seaboard extension in it yet. Even the embedded Google Map on NCMF's website doesn't show Seaboard Extension, which is odd that they didn't opt for an image of a map that did include it.

Yeah, it appears that they are trying to capitalize on their success at the NCMF to get momentum on selling and building Deco One, which is a design that is far better than the original project as I recall.

I wish them the best of luck with mixing the uses on in the area. I think that the fact that they have pulled in so many great acts to NCMF has made this project a surprising success.

Yea, pretty much anyone I've talked to that's been to NCMF, absolutely loves it there... I'm a huge fan of this place. So many great acts are coming through town that otherwise couldn't play at TWCA or Verizon. I'm also looking forward to the comedy club opening here as well. I think if they price the residential units moderately here, I see no reason why people won't flock to it.

The best thing too, is that this is an old cotton mill complex, with the buildings built in 1900, 1915, 1919, 1926, 1946, etc. I haven't been to a show at the Fillmore, but I've been to Halo, and I walked through the space that is now the Fillmore before they made it that, and it really has so much charm because it is an old mill. The fact that Lazes has gotten great acts there has just sealed it as a success.

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/reloo...t.aspx?07842501

The best thing too, is that this is an old cotton mill complex, with the buildings built in 1900, 1915, 1919, 1926, 1946, etc. I haven't been to a show at the Fillmore, but I've been to Halo, and I walked through the space that is now the Fillmore before they made it that, and it really has so much charm because it is an old mill. The fact that Lazes has gotten great acts there has just sealed it as a success.

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/reloo...t.aspx?07842501

Yup... a rarity in Charlotte. Which makes this place all the more appealing IMO... It has far more character than the Epicentre. I hope the momentum just keeps building for NCMF.

• 3 months later...

I haven't been there, yet, but from what I've read, you won't be able to barhop over there as it is outside the uptown area. From the sound of the bands hitting Charlotte now, it's just the right size venue to attract bands who can't fill Cricket Arena but are too big for, say, Tremont Music Hall.

Yes, Fillmore is awesome - I saw Silversun Pickups there and they even commented during the show on how beautiful the club was. Also, one hell of a cool, bright sign at the entrance of the club. Halo is a ton of fun too -- even if you're not into dancing (like me). I was there in early Fall and had a blast - both the inside and the patio area are great. I am looking forward to this becoming more of a district instead of just the 2 spots that are there right now...but they are definitely a good start.

Anyone seen the new Light Pole at the entrance to the music factory off of Graham? It is awesome, I'm not sure what it is or supposed to be, but since installing it a few weeks ago, I saw it on one color for a few days, now it morphs into a new color every 15 seconds or so. Its awesome and it looks like maybe these are going up all the way into the factory area. That would be killer. A great little addition to the entrance and all, plus mighty helpful for the safety factor as I know lots of people who have walked to shows there from uptown.

I saw Gary Alan / Eli Young Band / Jack Ingram at the Fillmore and was really impressed. Layout is very good, plenty of places to grab beer (if I remember correctly tall boy domestics were $8 which for a music venue isn't obscene). I would highly recommend everyone give it a try. Only negative thing I have to say is that part of the ticket (Eli Young Band) played before the billed time on the ticket so I missed them because I showed up at like ten after.

Haven't been to any of the other joints there yet. I've heard good things about Halo. Looking forward to Wet Willies opening. Maybe after a few more places open up they'll consider a low cost shuttle to take you uptown and back ($1 or 2 each way?). That or another strategy could be to try to make it a destination that people will stay at. Maybe offer a wrist band good for cover at all NCMF bars and clubs.

Anyone seen the new Light Pole at the entrance to the music factory off of Graham? It is awesome, I'm not sure what it is or supposed to be, but since installing it a few weeks ago, I saw it on one color for a few days, now it morphs into a new color every 15 seconds or so. Its awesome and it looks like maybe these are going up all the way into the factory area. That would be killer. A great little addition to the entrance and all, plus mighty helpful for the safety factor as I know lots of people who have walked to shows there from uptown.

So this is their way of "lighting the path" to the NCMF? I like the idea. Haven't been by in the last couple of months since the last show I saw there. But this will help people find it easier. Until some of the other components of this project are built, it's still off the beaten path to me.

I read somewhere, unfortunately I can't find the link now, that Butter, Crobar, Wet Willie's and Black Bear Saloon will all open in the next couple of months. All by end of March I believe. Probably before the outdoor concert season will kick in. It will be interesting what affect these places will have on Epicentre...

Edited by dbull75

Saw this last night and it's pretty cool. I agree that it would be great if they had a few of these (even half a dozen) spaced down Seaboard towards the complex.

On a related note, I noticed that the one derelict factory/warehouse next to the cemetery at the corner of 9th/N/ Johnson St is for sale. I haven't a clue of costs, but it would be an incredible move if the NCMF developers got a hold of that property as that corner (at night) is a real hindrance for a lot of people I know to walk from shows into Uptown.

Saw this last night and it's pretty cool. I agree that it would be great if they had a few of these (even half a dozen) spaced down Seaboard towards the complex.

On a related note, I noticed that the one derelict factory/warehouse next to the cemetery at the corner of 9th/N/ Johnson St is for sale. I haven't a clue of costs, but it would be an incredible move if the NCMF developers got a hold of that property as that corner (at night) is a real hindrance for a lot of people I know to walk from shows into Uptown.

9th and Johnson St. is getting close to where my grandad is sleeping (permanently). Hope future vibrations and noise don't bother him. yahoo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ask and you shall receive, I just noticed the other day that they have since installed about a half dozen or more of these light poles just like the big one at the main entrance except about 6ft high. So cool, I hope they are LED or Solar or somethng energy efficient, but they run all the way down in the median till you get to the 277 overpass. It looks really great. Now if they could just get the contractor who installed them to get em all straight, that would be a nice touch. At night the ones that aren't level really show up.

Ask and you shall receive, I just noticed the other day that they have since installed about a half dozen or more of these light poles just like the big one at the main entrance except about 6ft high. So cool, I hope they are LED or Solar or somethng energy efficient, but they run all the way down in the median till you get to the 277 overpass. It looks really great. Now if they could just get the contractor who installed them to get em all straight, that would be a nice touch. At night the ones that aren't level really show up.

Excellent! I will try to check them out this weekend!