NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

Would be nice, except the ADM plant is no longer planning to relocate.

From what I've heard our yard Trainmaster saying (I work for CSX), they're looking at options to either increase car capacity directly at the ADM mill on their tracks or perhaps building out Tryon Yard a bit more. So no, sounds like they're not planning to go anywhere anytime soon. I'm actually on the job that works that plant and ADM's sugar / corn syrup place a little farther down the line next week, heh.

• 10 months later...

Owner is shopping the project to developers to sell of rather than develop themselves, so the rendering/architecture/site plan you see today may not be what materializes. I've also seen a rendering of the hotel planned for the music factory. Very art deco 70's mod. Not sure the timeline on that or how it would be branded using the existing design. I don't know how that would do in that location assuming a high end boutique concept that it appears to be.

Is there any update on this?  I saw this devopment on the updated google map we have and it's one I really wish could move forward.  I bike often to VBGB and just having something in this lot other then a billboard sign would do wonders for making the music factory feel closer to town.

Edit: And speaking of biking over to the Music Factory.  The sand Volleyball courts at VBGB were a great addition.  Renassaince is the next closest decent option and thats down off Tyvola.  Just one more fun thing to do at the NCMF, and I was one of the doubters when it was proposed. :)

Edited by Mobuchu
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would be nice if there were news coming about the apartments, but lacking that, at least they are helping to support improvements to the aesthetics of the area.  

Are they painting it?  Or using projection lighting like the I-77 bridge over Trade St.?

It would be nice if there were news coming about the apartments, but lacking that, at least they are helping to support improvements to the aesthetics of the area.  

You mean like putting apartments and/or hotel in that massive sea of asphalt and stone? Yea, that would be nice actually... Such a waste of space. They could easily build a 300-400 apartment development with a hotel midrise and incorporate a parking deck that could be shared.  

The land under the I-277 bridge is a perfect location for a skate park.  The addition of lights and human activity would make the drive into NCMF seem less ominous.

• Like 2

The land under the I-277 bridge is a perfect location for a skate park.  The addition of lights and human activity would make the drive into NCMF seem less ominous.

A skate park would also tie in quite nicely with the "theme" of the music factory.  All we'd need large skate company (or energy drink) to sponsor the venue.

There were some early talks about making it a mountain bike and bmx skills park similar to one under I-5 in Seattle. It's a perfect location for it but it was dismissed I think primarily because of the railroad work. A skatepark wouldn't need quite as much area though and we really need one. Charlotte has 1 extremely sub-par skatepark and that's it. 

Some believe the apartments proposal was largely a posturing tactic for higher real estate compensation for the grade-separation and/or HOT lanes projects.

This makes me realize that we need a 'throwing rotten tomato' icon (for Ark, not Southsider)

There were some early talks about making it a mountain bike and bmx skills park similar to one under I-5 in Seattle. It's a perfect location for it but it was dismissed I think primarily because of the railroad work. A skatepark wouldn't need quite as much area though and we really need one. Charlotte has 1 extremely sub-par skatepark and that's it. 

It was also dismissed because NCDOT said, "No way."

• 1 month later...

This is a hugely important project and I hope it goes through.  The gap between the Music Factory and Uptown is still glaring, but this will drastically help in shoring it up a bit.  It'll be easily as influential as Fountains in 2nd Ward bringing Midtown closer to Uptown

• Like 2

This is a hugely important project and I hope it goes through.  The gap between the Music Factory and Uptown is still glaring, but this will drastically help in shoring it up a bit.  It'll be easily as influential as Fountains in 2nd Ward bringing Midtown closer to Uptown

How will it help, just out of curiosity?? there will still be big ugly abondoned (I think??) factories (or whatever they are) in the way.

II believe that is the Archer Daniels Midland Flour mill? One of the largest in the country? And the main deterrent to the Red Line? Or I could just be confusing a great many things here.

No I think you're right based of a quick Google search. So that ugly thing is still functional??? Jeez, get that out of here.