NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

art is imprecise.

(as are 22 year old web designers )

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point well taken. But those that design websites shouldn't be resposible for their content. That's the job of the editor. Whoever owns the site should have caught that.

Let's be real, I'm a product of the South Carolina Public School system and I noticed it immediately. Maybe I should have been in the gifted and talented program...

Point well taken.  But those that design websites shouldn't be resposible for their content.  That's the job of the editor.  Whoever owns the site should have caught that.

Let's be real, I'm a product of the South Carolina Public School system and I noticed it immediately.  Maybe I should have been in the gifted and talented program...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I work with a lot of wealthy, self-made folks. Good spelling is the exception to the rule with the majority of them. While we're picking gnats, they're leaping forward, focusing on the big stuff.

All that being said, I still got a chuckle out of Dee Dee Harris' letter to the Observer.

I work with a lot of wealthy, self-made folks.  Good spelling is the exception to the rule with the majority of them.  While we're picking gnats, they're leaping forward, focusing on the big stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, now I'm doomed to a lifetime of poverty and spelling abilities that go unappreciated.

it will only get worse, too... my wife is a high school english teacher, and the current generation of students never learned phonics, spelling, or grammar in elementary school. It is was part of the "whole language" theory of education, ie. let kids express themselves however they feel like it, and don't tell them that anything is "wrong" or "incorrect" as that hurts creativity and self-esteem. Needless to say, i buy her lots and lots of red pens :).

so, since you 'knew what they meant' by "ebor city" and "beal street", then they were correct according to most of their teachers :).

Edited by dubone

Great, now I'm doomed to a lifetime of poverty and spelling abilities that go unappreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there's a causal relationship, in either direction. I think good spelling and grammar are great in the service industry, but outside of it (e.g., locally based real estate development or at a small technology company) people don't seem to give a hoot.

As a real estate analyst, I write reports for a living. My boss has a red pen that goes wild when editing anything my co-worker or I have penned. He's worse than my mom who was an English teacher for 36 years. You read one of our reports, I guarantee you'll have a difficult time finding any grammar issues.

Anyway, I guess I've taken us down a road that no one really wanted to travel. Not to mention that I've veered WAY off topic. Sorry. It's Friday afternoon and I've had far too much idle time today.

Life is too short to worry about typos.

Besides, I think we should have a lot of confidence in them. They are doing something that is really out of the box for Uptown Charlotte, and they are doing without asking for money from the city or state. How is that for out of the box?

Well......considering the city is extending Seaboard St. for them, I'm not sure it's fair to say that this project would have happened without public dollars.......but it beats the city building a new road through Elmwood, which is what they originally asked for.

While I'm sure it will be an exciting place, the problem is going to be access. Even with the Seaboard St. connection, this place is isolated. As monsoon pointed out, it's bordered by I-77, I-277, railroads, the grain silos, and Elmwood Cemetary.

Then, the fact that it is literally across downtown from the rest of the downtown nightlife of College Street, I think, will cut down on people going as well.

While I'm sure it will be an exciting place, the problem is going to be access.  Even with the Seaboard St. connection, this place is isolated.  As monsoon pointed out, it's bordered by I-77, I-277, railroads, the grain silos, and Elmwood Cemetary. 

Then, the fact that it is literally across downtown from the rest of the downtown nightlife of College Street, I think, will cut down on people going as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully this will detour all the Bar Charlotte/Have A nice Day crowd that noramlly frequents DT. And bring out a more diverse crowd to this area. I really hope this project differs from the DT Charlotte scene.

Edited by fulcrumsf

While I'm sure it will be an exciting place, the problem is going to be access.  Even with the Seaboard St. connection, this place is isolated.  As monsoon pointed out, it's bordered by I-77, I-277, railroads, the grain silos, and Elmwood Cemetary. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It all depends on how well marketed it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Article in this weeks CBJ about the Lazes project. Up to 25 bars and clubs could be located in the development and the article talks about some of the individual clubs and restaurants planned. Lazes is also offering office space at a reduced rate before the Seaboard St. extension takes place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori.../04/story2.html

Article in this weeks CBJ about the Lazes project. Up to 25 bars and clubs could be located in the development and the article talks about some of the individual clubs and restaurants planned. Lazes is also offering office space at a reduced rate before the Seaboard St. extension takes place.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori.../04/story2.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is already a new club called Illusions 2000 (opposite Silver Hammer Studios) or a name like that that which was supposed to open up there this weekend. I drove by the area and sure enough there were signs pointing to the new club with a bunch of cars in the parking lot. However, I think they're still doing work on the place.

One day i hope charlotte is also known for great music and great artist. Hopefully ill be one of them. Charlotte is already know in the Rock world from the band Good Charlotte. Lets just hope in the future charlotte will be one of the countrys top music spots.

Good Charlotte is from DC...

The most known band from the charlotte area right now is between the buried and me... Charlotte is only known for the hardcore scene, someone correct me if I am wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Clay Aiken - from Raleigh, but went to UNCC.

Also, Ben Folds is from Winston-Salem (lyric in the song Brick is "Her mom and dad went down to Charlotte")