NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

14 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

Charlotte has no place uptown for its residents to play.

We have 2 new large parks uptown.  Romare Bearden park is 2 city blocks and very well used 10 hours a day.  First Ward Park will be the same once the planned development around it comes online.  I guess we are missing athletic fields uptown if that's what you mean?  But as for moving a cemetery it's a silly discussion to even have when there is still so much relatively cheap land to be used.  The discussion should be more about improving the pedestrian experience through Elmwood to connect uptown and Music Factory.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn is also right next to Prospect Park.  Charlotte has no place uptown for its residents to play.  Every great city has places where the urban residents venture to get sun and relaxation.  This space would be absolutely perfect.  Oh well, I guess I'm alone.  You all want to have even more space uptown isolated forever to protect the dead.

Anyway, here's an interesting little piece about how the dead in New York have been moved all around over the years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-young/manhattans-forgotten-graveyards_b_4171691.html

In addition to the two new parks, there is Frazier Park with tennis courts, basketball courts, a soccer field, picnic areas and playground equipment. I think it also has a few disc golf practice areas.

on 12th street, you have 12th street park which includes tennis courts, a soccer field, and playground equipment.

Both of these parks also have greenways that run through them. 

We don't have to move the dead. We're not New York. We aren't bound by geography. In 30 years, there will probably be a virtually seamless transition between uptown and the surrounding inner core neighborhoods all well connected with greenways / rail trails. 

I don't see a shortage of outdoor area for uptown residents at all and I have never heard anyone else complain about it either.

20 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn is also right next to Prospect Park.  Charlotte has no place uptown for its residents to play.  Every great city has places where the urban residents venture to get sun and relaxation.  This space would be absolutely perfect.  Oh well, I guess I'm alone.  You all want to have even more space uptown isolated forever to protect the dead.

Anyway, here's an interesting little piece about how the dead in New York have been moved all around over the years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/greg-young/manhattans-forgotten-graveyards_b_4171691.html

While I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to open more space for downtown development, I think using the cemetery would be pretty inconsiderate on two levels.  One is that a cemetery is not there only to "protect the dead" as you say; it is also a place where families can come to find peace and closure after the passing of a loved one.  Digging up those graves for the purpose of opening up land for development represents a frighteningly callous disregard not only for the individuals interred there, but also the loved ones they've left behind.  Second, the cemetery is one of the few remaining sites in Charlotte that has some bonafide historical significance from the Civil War to the Civil Rights movement.  We cannot continue to be so apathetic as to think it's ok to bulldoze our history.  Charlotte has all but rid itself of every historic symbol; moving the cemetery would be another line item on the long list of Charlotte's crimes against its own heritage.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/Surveys&relmwood.htm

Edited by cltbwimob
Spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

While I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to open more space for downtown development, I think using the cemetery would be pretty inconsiderate on two levels.  One is that a cemetery is not there only to "protect the dead" as you say; it is also a place where families can come to find peace and closure after the passing of a loved one.  Digging up those graves for the purpose of opening up land for development represents a frighteningly callous disregard not only for the individuals interred there, but also the loved ones they've left behind.  Second, the cemetery is one of the few remaining sites in Charlotte that has some bonafide historical significance from the Civil War to the Civil Rights movement.  We cannot continue to be so apathetic as to thinks it's ok to bulldoze our history.  Charlotte has all but rid itself of every historic symbol; moving the cemetery would be another line item on the long list of Charlotte's crimes against its own heritage.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/Surveys&relmwood.htm

on behalf of my grandparents, thanks. And, I am proud of my heritage,  Our Confederate soldier ancestors were disgraced by removing the Confederate flag for the sake  of  political correctness,  let's show respect for the others.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

You guys are killing me.

No more politics on the main board.  I agree with the sentiment (and I've been guilty in the past) but damn, take it to the coffeehouse.

Just ignore and talk about crappy stick built apartments.

Crappy stick built apartments makes me happier than politics. As much as some people view that grave yards are relics that must go away, I feel that we need to protect what grave yards are around because eventually I do think people will choose not to be buried any more at some point in the future.

• Like 1

Good news...I guess....

Live Nation is signing a lease to take over the old Bootleggers Saloon.  I assume they will be using this for concerts where The Fillmore is still a little too large?  The space is 11,500 sf, so similar to the recent close Tremont Music Hall which was 12,300 sf.....though I don't think The Fillmore itself is much bigger....maybe they are missing on tours where they would be double booked?  I dunno.

This is def a THIRD venue for Live Nation at the Music Factory, and not just a relocation of The Fillmore.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Good news...I guess....

Live Nation is signing a lease to take over the old Bootleggers Saloon.  I assume they will be using this for concerts where The Fillmore is still a little too large?  The space is 11,500 sf, so similar to the recent close Tremont Music Hall which was 12,300 sf.....though I don't think The Fillmore itself is much bigger....maybe they are missing on tours where they would be double booked?  I dunno.

This is def a THIRD venue for Live Nation at the Music Factory, and not just a relocation of The Fillmore.

As I understand it, that is EXACTLY the intent for this space.  After two failed attempts at country bars (let's just all agree that Coyote Joe's is the undisputed king in the Charlotte area), this space will now hopefully fill the void left by The Chop Shop and Tremont.  Charlotte has been getting some solid top-tier acts in recent years, but to truly be known as a music-centric city, it also needs to support mid-tier and up-and-coming local acts.  I'm personally very excited to see what they do with the place!

49 minutes ago, IrishCLT said:

As I understand it, that is EXACTLY the intent for this space.  After two failed attempts at country bars (let's just all agree that Coyote Joe's is the undisputed king in the Charlotte area), this space will now hopefully fill the void left by The Chop Shop and Tremont.  Charlotte has been getting some solid top-tier acts in recent years, but to truly be known as a music-centric city, it also needs to support mid-tier and up-and-coming local acts.  I'm personally very excited to see what they do with the place!

While its great news to get another mid-size venue option, I don't expect this to remotely fill the void left by Chop Shop and Tremont (or Double Door *sob*). Don't get me wrong, I will happily attend a show there, but just don't expect a Live Nation operated venue in a branded complex to ever develop the same type of organic divey authenticity that made those other venues special. I am still hoping the Chop Shop guys have something in mind for a new location.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nonillogical said:

While its great news to get another mid-size venue option, I don't expect this to remotely fill the void left by Chop Shop and Tremont (or Double Door *sob*). Don't get me wrong, I will happily attend a show there, but just don't expect a Live Nation operated venue in a branded complex to ever develop the same type of organic divey authenticity that made those other venues special. I am still hoping the Chop Shop guys have something in mind for a new location.

Couldn't agree more!  Even still, I'm all for giving local artists another place to build a following... hopefully they do it right.

On 4/26/2016 at 0:56 PM, go_vertical said:

Never gonna happen. But I think what makes sense is letting people rest where they intended. The idea of exhuming graves just so a developer can build some apartments is pretty repulsive. A dense uptown can expand in many other directions.

The idea of moving graves for apartment buildings might be reprehensible, but what about for a highway? It's already happened - I-77 split the main Cemetery from what is now the West Pinewood Cemetery. Further, when they widen I-77 they're going to need a lot of land, and it's going to go right between the two cemeteries.

On 4/29/2016 at 11:00 PM, alb1no panther said:

yeah that cemetery isn't going anywhere.  60 years from now?  maybe.  if a park is what you're after, there's this piece of land:

Cemetary.jpeg

that sits literally 5 feet away.

besides, if your argument holds, should we also tear up Settlers Cemetery and the adjoining old building?

That land is going to be a police station. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the randomness here.  I was riding through Elmwood on Wednesday and discovered that you can, in fact, cut through the cemetery over to Music Factory Blvd.  A few thoughts:  Has there ever been any talk of reconnecting 9th st. through the train tracks (yellow), so that folks can get over to the Music Factory without having to leave uptown?  It seems like it would also help redevelop the empty/vacant lots around there, including the old Standard Fuel building (red), which appears condemned.

Untitled.png

• Like 1