NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

5 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Is there a prohibition in Charlotte on "Jake Brake"? Some NC cities have this  municipal limit.

If there is some people didn't get the memo, I live near the IKEA exit and have woken up to my room literally shaking from some trucker riding it.

• 6 months later...

I had to go way back to find this thread however the Business Journal is reporting a that a rezoning request is forthcoming for some new residential that mid include midrise and some older warehouses being preserved at Johnson St and Music Factory Blvd basically on a site before you get Music Factory from N Graham St.

""Todd Harrison, managing partner at Carolina Capital, said the firm plans to submit a rezoning petition for the site, potentially to change the zoning to uptown mixed use, or UMUD. Though a site plan and exact uses for the property are to be determined, Harrison said the goal is to save the two buildings at the front end of the property, facing NC Music Factory Boulevard, and redevelop the remainder of the site.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/07/31/music-factory-site-eyed-for-adaptive-reuse.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-07-31&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1533065160&j=83012771

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Dale said:

I’m sure, but better hunker down. Bezos is in no hurry to fill those jobs. 

That’s not a problem because hundreds of millions of dollars are about to be pumped into projects that have been planning for this as instant as real estate can get. Projects people are betting on, renovations. A new metro stop, a new bridge to DCA airport & VRE commuter stop.  Pentagon City has a nice Simon mall, the new metro station has lots of nice shopping. 

But above all. Lots of private developers are now throwing money at this area. Lots of projects are going to start moving dirt whether amazon takes 2 years or 10 years to fill these jobs. 

... As an urban nerd, how amazing of an urban area is this? Commuter rail, metro rail, airports, greenways, malls, a large river etc. it’s cool. 

https://wtop.com/arlington/2018/12/with-amazon-on-board-jbg-smith-prepares-to-bet-big-on-national-landing/slide/5/

I know that’s off topic. But my point is. Amazon is a great benefit for the cities it chose. Would’ve been great for Charlotte or Raleigh. Alliance Bernstein would’ve been nice. Boeing would’ve been nice. But Charlotte has its own scores so there’s really no reason to hate on Amazon. Because NY, DC and Nashville are excited to have them. If they’re content, then everyone else should be too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That’s not a problem because hundreds of millions of dollars are about to be pumped into projects that have been planning for this as instant as real estate can get. Projects people are betting on, renovations. A new metro stop, a new bridge to DCA airport & VRE commuter stop.  Pentagon City has a nice Simon mall, the new metro station has lots of nice shopping. 

But above all. Lots of private developers are now throwing money at this area. Lots of projects are going to start moving dirt whether amazon takes 2 years or 10 years to fill these jobs. 

... As an urban nerd, how amazing of an urban area is this? Commuter rail, metro rail, airports, greenways, malls, a large river etc. it’s cool. 

https://wtop.com/arlington/2018/12/with-amazon-on-board-jbg-smith-prepares-to-bet-big-on-national-landing/slide/5/

I know that’s off topic. But my point is. Amazon is a great benefit for the cities it chose. Would’ve been great for Charlotte or Raleigh. Alliance Bernstein would’ve been nice. Boeing would’ve been nice. But Charlotte has its own scores so there’s really no reason to hate on Amazon. Because NY, DC and Nashville are excited to have them. If they’re content, then everyone else should be too. 

I’m not disputing any of these points other than the fact that Amazon was going to choose DC all along, thus the bull**** characterization and the notion of Charlotte having a dearth of tech talent.

1 minute ago, King of the Queen City said:

HQ2 was a publicity stunt and while it will have economic benefits it is costing those communities an arm and a leg in incentives.

As one wag put it, it was like inviting hundreds of microbreweries to a contest to determine America’s best beer, and after considerable time and expense - and having secured each brewerie’s secret recipe - announcing that the winners were Busch and Budweiser.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Getting back to the discussion at hand one thing about NC incentives is that it is  less payroll taxes  the company has to  pay for x number of  years.  You don't create the jobs you don't get the money back.  Plus for every big job announcement in the top tier counties like Mecklenburg or Wake some money goes into a fund that helps more rural areas.  

As someone stated a homegrown company like AvidXchange is great win for their expansion and I read that Kansas City and The Woodlands (a great suburb of Houston) were contenders for this expansion or so they say.   Charlotte will get its fair share of expansions and corporate moves.    Who knew Honeywell was thinking of relocating their HQ before they announced? 

New York paid 61K for every Amazon job. How does that compare to Charlotte and Honeywell ?

• 1 month later...

Not sure the time line, but sure did think they would need the space sooner rather than later. From what I've heard, Avid still basically leases out the entire warehouse next door which used to house a lot of employees when their current HQ was being built. 1 department still works in there however.  I also think they are converting space into ballroom and conference space.  They also lease a lot of space across the street in the offices near the Filmore. Surprisingly there are a lot of offices hidden in those building over there by the amphitheater.  Not sure how long their leases are for but basically probably have enough temp space to cover them for the short term. Now their HQ, vacancy is definatley limited. Ultimately the goal is to get all their charlotte employees under 1 roof (2 HQ buildings), but really depends on how long their leases are I guess. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

18 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Not sure the time line, but sure did think they would need the space sooner rather than later. From what I've heard, Avid still basically leases out the entire warehouse next door which used to house a lot of employees when their current HQ was being built. 1 department still works in there however.  I also think they are converting space into ballroom and conference space.  They also lease a lot of space across the street in the offices near the Filmore. Surprisingly there are a lot of offices hidden in those building over there by the amphitheater.  Not sure how long their leases are for but basically probably have enough temp space to cover them for the short term. Now their HQ, vacancy is definatley limited. Ultimately the goal is to get all their charlotte employees under 1 roof (2 HQ buildings), but really depends on how long their leases are I guess. 

Yes they are still in that warehouse across from the 6 story building and like you said in some of the offices amongst the bars and clubs.  someone maybe knows in this UP community I bet maybe a larger building for the 2nd one.  However I do not see any signs of imminent construction.  

• Like 1

From the original rendering, it is supposed to be an identical building linked with a skybridge from the 4th floor over the basketball courts. I have seen crews doing some drilling into the ground a few times in the last 3 months. But to what you said, does not look like construction is near, I'll try and get some timelines soon. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I didn't want to bump this thread but I feel there is a sufficient amount of stuff going on to warrant an update.  The first two arrows on the left, there is a lot of tree clearing and work being done on both sides on the railroad tracks.  Not sure what is being done there.  3rd arrow on the right...the old warehouses have been completely torn down...looks like work could be in process with the ones closest to the music factory road (old Steel Co).  I always thought these would be tremendous to renovate and turn into a brewery or bar or something.  Help extend foot traffic down that way.  Lastly, there has been a lot of drilling going on lately in the parking lot next to Avidxchange (where the second building will be going up). 

1.png.80c0d8621998081a3587770d635c2d2e.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...