NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

1 hour ago, dubone said:

As a resident of 4th Ward, the homeless/addict issue is absurdly bad with respect to the fact that the cemetery there does not have average society running and walking through any longer, so it is mostly just the vagrants that will cross the track and then have their own zone in that industrial cluster, even with a few of the buildings back there demolished.   (Fun fact, less than an hour ago, I tried to get a photo of a homeless guy who woke me up destroying flower pots at each home he passed, and he suggested he would  kill me someday when I'm not expecting it, which was charming enough, then pulled out his dick and pissed on the sidewalk).    My point being any full-society pedestrian crossing to that area will hopefully diversify and add eyes on the street that help reduce the concentration as a safety zone for addicts and homeless.   

Not sure it necessarily would help 4th Ward, but do you think the new CMPD precinct going in at Elmwood's entrance would help the situation there? 

Maybe, hopefully.  No one knows how to solve the problem, other than moving to the suburbs, which I don't really plan to do.  The police already do have a presence, but they can't harass citizens walking down the street, even if they are homeless.  And I believe they have some limitations on what they can do with the camps.      I even happened to be awake there inside and had no idea this guy was out sleeping under someone's car.  I only went outside when he was screaming racist hate speech against the black guests in that neighbor home (the homeless addict was also black, but I still would consider his words racist and hateful).  I went out and saw him vandalizing the flower pots, and intervened to get an image of him for the police.   

Who knows.  It's exhausting and has gotten severely worse in last 5 years.    In the last few months I have had 2 instances where I have been told they they plan to hurt or kill me, "I know where you live".   In this case due to me intervening vandalism and taking a photo of him.  In another case purely asking the man to please move on after we had already told him no to begging for money from the sidewalk to my porch.   

The homeless already cross the tracks and control the area between the rail and the cemetery.  A real crossing / bridge would let the rest of society cross, bringing those areas back from being 100% homeless, more runners, bicyclists, dog walkers, strollers, police on bicycles, etc.    

• Like 2

21 hours ago, dubone said:

Maybe, hopefully.  No one knows how to solve the problem, other than moving to the suburbs, which I don't really plan to do.  The police already do have a presence, but they can't harass citizens walking down the street, even if they are homeless.  And I believe they have some limitations on what they can do with the camps.      Even I happened to be awake there inside and had no idea this guy was out sleeping under someone's car.  I only went out when he was screaming racist hate speech against the black guests in that neighbor home (the homeless addict was also black, but I still would consider his words racist and hateful).  I went out and saw as him vandalizing the flower pots, and intervened to get an image of him for the police.   

Who knows.  It's exhausting and has gotten severely worse in last 5 years.    In the last few months I have had 2 instances where I have been told they they plan to hurt or kill me, "I know where you live".   In this case due to me intervening vandalism and taking a photo of him.  In another case purely asking the man to please move on after we had already told him no to begging for money from the sidewalk to my porch.   

The homeless already cross the tracks and control the area between the rail and the cemetery.  A real crossing / bridge would let the rest of society cross, bringing those areas back from being 100% homeless, more runners, bicyclists, dog walkers, strollers, police on bicycles, etc.    

I agree that the homeless/addict problem has gotten much worse in the last few years, especially in Forth Ward where I also live.  Vandalism and threats of physical violence are increasingly common, and I now avoid parks altogether, even in daylight.  I go out of my way to walk down more-traveled streets, and I’m always hyper-vigilant at night.  I get aggressively panhandled walking to and from work at least once each way every day, and I’ve lost track of the death threats.

Edited by cltcane
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, cltcane said:

I agree that the homeless/addict problem has gotten much worse in the last few years, especially in Forth Ward where I also live.  Vandalism and threats of physical violence are increasingly common, and I now avoid parks altogether, even in daylight.  I go out of my way to walk down more-traveled streets, and I’m always hyper-vigilant at night.  I get aggressively panhandled walking to and from work at least once each way every day, and I’ve lost track of the death threats.

I lived in fourth ward for 4 years and I dealt with my fair share of panhandling - but I never got any death threats - that's wild.

I agree the homeless problem in Fourth Ward has gotten worse in the past few years. The security people in the park seem to help with the vagrancy situation  in the park somewhat, but what do you do about people just walking down the street? CMPD is understaffed and can't really handle the current load of work.

The ped bridge idea will never gain traction unless FOFW / CCCP start demanding it. I think a nice, wide and intuitive connection between Tryon Street and the NCMF would probably get a decent amount of pedestrian and bicycle traffic, and make it more than a drive-to tourist destination since you could pre-game in center city and then walk/bike/scooter over.

The City has tried to get grant funding for it in the past through federal grants, but it never gains any traction due to it not being in an identified need in any plan, and not being a priority for politicians. The Center City Vision Plan update is coming soon, so that's probably the best chance to start advocating for the connection to NCMF.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 10:45 AM, NYCLT said:

I lived in fourth ward for 4 years and I dealt with my fair share of panhandling - but I never got any death threats - that's wild.

It is not as much a part of daily life as much as that any interaction with the vagrants that turns sour leads them to immediately make a threat because they know that is how to get under your skin.   

Fourth Ward is a highly pedestrian corridor and 99%+ of the thousands that walk through the streets on a given day are not doing harm, but the people who live their life on substances are pretty much living that life uptown, and when they get crossed, they get extremely unpleasant. 

Music Factory and AvidXchange is a huge asset to the northern part of uptown, so all infrastructure to connect to it easier, the better, regardless of its potential for helping the impossible problem of addict vagrants.       

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

^^ Garage townhomes are probably the only way they could sell them in that area.  It is not very walkable unless you work at AvidXchange at the Music Factory.  Not too much to walk through at this point.  Garage townhomes do eliminate surface parking.     We should want as much housing close in on vacant land than new in far flung areas of the metro area.  I think this project is a home run depending on price. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Why are we building garage townhomes that close to uptown?

Its only close as the bird flies, it couldn't be further on foot.

40 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I was more questioning the townhomes than the garage part, but I see now that the location wouldn't really support more density that I'd wish for.

yea sadly its basically just at the end of a fairly suburban neighborhood. 

On a Camp North End note, boy is there a lot of space there to do something great.

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Agree, it is a pretty "car dependent" area. 25 minute walk to the tiny Harris Teeter supermarket in Uptown. 33 minute walk to an office like Bank of America Corporate Center. 32 minute walk to the 9th Street light rail station. Then throw in the quickest route during winter when the sun sets by 5PM is through the cemetery and walking under the Brookshire Freeway on Johnson Street which is a homeless camp. I'd be shocked if you could sell anything without parking in that area. We are lucky to be getting investment in that area, and investment that will bring permanent residents that are buying and will have a vested interest in the area rather than rental apartments where people move out after 2 - 3 years. 

At least with the alleys the garages hopefully will be accessed from the rear and not eating up street frontage.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
anyone know why the 2nd AvidXchange building is not started yet?  It has been breaking ground so they said for the last year.  Still no sign today. 
IMG_9618.thumb.JPG.8fccd09cd0663e1969fa808392c986b0.JPG
IMG_9619.thumb.JPG.e7eb5ff77b08c817aeff0e7bccbdf31b.JPG

A couple of the Brasfield & Gorrie supers at Ally did the first Avid Xchange building a few years ago (I did some work there too). They told me back in the spring that the second building had been delayed until early 2021.
I do not remember the reason(s) why though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually they told me this late February early March. Before Covid became a big thing and shutdowns happened. So at that time at least covid had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Yo Diaz! said:

A couple of the Brasfield & Gorrie supers at Ally did the first Avid Xchange building a few years ago (I did some work there too). They told me back in the spring that the second building had been delayed until early 2021.
I do not remember the reason(s) why though.
Actually they told me this late February early March. Before Covid became a big thing and shutdowns happened. So at that time at least covid had nothing to do with it.

Okay that makes sense as I am sure most are working at home but like most companies they will need people to come back at some point.  

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

from todays Biz Journal

"""It was an opportunity Noi Vong couldn’t pass up. The entertainment industry veteran has snapped up a 7,000-square-foot spot at the AvidXChange Music Factory for a new venture called Bazal Gallery Venue.  Vong says that space — which previously housed Butter nightclub and most recently Club One — has long been a favorite of his. He's also behind QC Social in uptown.  His aim is to create an upscale experience and venue, unlike anything offered in the Queen City currently.""

Upscale entertainment venue to open this year at AvidXchange Music Factory - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2