NC Music Factory / Uptown Village / Deco One

Raintree21

I don't think you can even get into Elmwood Cemetery from Seaboard.

There's a car-sized gate off W. 9th, which connects to Seaboard. Since there's a sign at the intersection of Graham and 10th advertising the NCMF, I'm sure a lot of people will end up taking that direction (especially if they're not sure of where they're going). It is, in every way possible, a horrible place to try and bottleneck a concert crowd. It's narrow, dark, contains a very skinny dogleg, and is located right next to a creepy cemetery.

That would encourage more pedestrians (given pedestrian path improvements over there) to walk around that area. This, in turn could encourage more street level retail to be pushed on this side of town, especially along Seaboard, 11th, and 9th St.

To walk around which area? Surely you don't mean walking from Uptown around the cemetery to the Factory.

• 3 weeks later...

the thing i noticed in the O article was that there is to be a "House of Blues-related" club there.... i guess not specifically a House of Blues?

last year the N Club in downtown Greensboro became the first venue in the state to be affiliate with the House of Blues. Its actually like going to a House of Blues because the same bands play the N Club. I remember them saying in the media that by July of 2007 Charlotte and Raleigh would have House of Blues network clubs as well so it wouldnt be an actual House of Blues. I remember seeing a rumor online about a possible Hard Rock Cafe in Charlotte so maybe they could put that in the NC Music Factory. As for the House of Blues, there are rumors of major entertainment venues fitting the description of a House of Blues to be built in a potential major southeast regional $200 million tourist attraction in downtown Greensboro so it would be likely that only one city in NC would get an actual House of Blues because this development is expecting to draw people from Charlotte.

Edited by cityboi

forgive me for my charlotte snobbery but why would the 4th (5th?) largest city in the state get a place like this? It should be in charlotte and the epicenter complex would be a logical location

Answer:

College students = disposable "income." (which really means college loans!)

If thats the case then why wouldn't they place it in Raleigh-Durham? They have many more college students, many of whom come from wealthier families then those that attend schools in the Greensboro area, and it is in a much larger metropolis? Something sounds off about this.

last year the N Club in downtown Greensboro became the first venue in the state to be affiliate with the House of Blues. Its actually like going to a House of Blues because the same bands play the N Club. I remember them saying in the media that by July of 2007 Charlotte and Raleigh would have House of Blues network clubs as well so it wouldnt be an actual House of Blues. I remember seeing a rumor online about a possible Hard Rock Cafe in Charlotte so maybe they could put that in the NC Music Factory. As for the House of Blues, there are rumors of major entertainment venues fitting the description of a House of Blues to be built in a potential major southeast regional $200 million tourist attraction in downtown Greensboro so it would be likely that only one city in NC would get an actual House of Blues because this development is expecting to draw people from Charlotte.

Is there any detail to the Hard Rock in Charlotte. That would be a nice addition to uptown along with some retail.

forgive me for my charlotte snobbery but why would the 4th (5th?) largest city in the state get a place like this? It should be in charlotte and the epicenter complex would be a logical location

A desination place like this might also seek a venue that is centrally located to many markets. Being located in Greensboro would give the that immediate market plust G-boro is just over an hour from Charlotte and just under or at an hour from parts of RDU. For the right bands they can get folks to travel for the show since an hour +/- is a palatable trip for most.

Is there any detail to the Hard Rock in Charlotte. That would be a nice addition to uptown along with some retail.

I fail to see why a Hard Rock in Charlotte would benefit the city much. The era when Hard Rocks were fashionable is over IMO and having never been to one that didn't have overpriced sub-par food I honestly don't see the draw it has. It may sound great to have one in theory but in practice it may very well fail and in lieu of that happening I would rather see something unique that other cities do not claim. Hard Rock's no longer put cities on maps, the one in Myrtle Beach certainly didn't do it for them.

Weird comment, one, the rankings are wrong (and the implied context of metros/regional centers), but besides that, places like a House of Blues and music venues in general have virtually nothing to do with the size of a place, otherwise New Orleans or Memphis would be cultural dust towns. And given the subject matter here, the sterility/grittiness of a place puts CLT pretty far down that list, and would fit better in numerous other places in the state (since you brought it up). Not to mention would be very out of place in the brand new shiny green glass Epicenter complex. I get the Charlotte snobbery angle, but still, off the mark (IMHO).

I fail to see why a Hard Rock in Charlotte would benefit the city much. The era when Hard Rocks were fashionable is over IMO and having never been to one that didn't have overpriced sub-par food I honestly don't see the draw it has. It may sound great to have one in theory but in practice it may very well fail and in lieu of that happening I would rather see something unique that other cities do not claim. Hard Rock's no longer put cities on maps, the one in Myrtle Beach certainly didn't do it for them.

Here-here! We spend so much time harping on the idea of building our retail organically. This is counterproductive! GO TO THE ALLEY CAT on COLLEGE! It's locally owned, run by Charlotte people/musicians, and features the same menu from the Penguin, a landmark that has made it onto the Food Network and into magazines. And I count it as a positive that they will never book a crappy Journey reunion tour (without Steve Perry!) for $40 a ticket. I'd much rather go see locals rockin' "Wheel in the Sky" just as well for $7.

Here-here! We spend so much time harping on the idea of building our retail organically. This is counterproductive! GO TO THE ALLEY CAT on COLLEGE! It's locally owned, run by Charlotte people/musicians, and features the same menu from the Penguin, a landmark that has made it onto the Food Network and into magazines. And I count it as a positive that they will never book a crappy Journey reunion tour (without Steve Perry!) for $40 a ticket. I'd much rather go see locals rockin' "Wheel in the Sky" just as well for $7.

I can't agree more. I love Alley Cat and hope places like that survive over national chain venues.

Agreed also. Hard Rock Cafes to me personally are overly cheezy and always have been. I don't generally like places like this. I've only been to one, in Orlando. Some of the memorabilia would probably be neat for some, the food was overpriced for burgers and bar food. Basically it was an Applebees with guitars on the wall.

I completely agree, Hard Rock Cafe is really nothing more than a larger overpriced TGI Fridays with some music memorabilia.

The gate city is 3rd largest but they are looking at the fact that Gboro is between Charlotte and Raleigh and would draw from both those areas. But I think Hard Rock Cafe in the NC Music Factory is a good idea.

I havent heard any details...just rumors....If its not in the NC Music Factory, maybe there is a chance it could be in the Trump development.

I agree to a certain extent, however when you a see a city with a Hard Rock, its typically in a major city, unless its an a resort area like Myrtle Beach. Its really more of an image thing rather than putting a city on the map. It basically say "we're a major city" They dont put cities on the map though, mostly because to some extent they are already on the map.

Edited by cityboi

The N Club in Greensboro is an old theatre converted to a bar/nightclub. It has been a staple nightclub for some time now. The dance floor actually has the phased slope which works well for concerts. Charlotte could actually take a few notes from what the owner has done with that club and a couple others in Greensboro.

I think it is more logistics than what city is deserving of a House of Blues. There is one in Atlanta and Myrtle Beach and both of those have big enough bands play that people (including me) will drive to go see them. Just as CN said, about an hours drive - give or take - from both Charlotte and RDU, being centrally located in Greensboro. I think it's a smart move.

As far as Hard Rock goes, we'll see how they do with the theme park in Myrtle Beach. I have a feeling it will be as mediocre as their food.

• 2 weeks later...

I just drove by the NC Music Factory site this weekend. It looks exactly the same as it did 8 months ago. Is *anything* happening here anymore? It was mentioned in another thread that this was a failure...if it doesn't start taking shape, then I couldn't agree more.

Wonder if CATS would consider expanding the free Gold Rush line to the NC Music Factory to get more people over into that area.

The Gold Rush runs mainly on weekdays during business hours...but I am sure that if Lazes subsidized the route they would be more than happy to run the Gold Rush up there and then back down Tryon/College.

For what it's worth, I talked to the editor of Creative Loafing tonight. He said they have no intentions of moving and believe very strongly in that location. Just as charlotte native said, right now they are focused on the Seaboard St. connection and we will see what (if anything) comes next.

• 1 month later...