Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I never thought I'd say this but I'm so glad we have so many empty parking lots.

It could end up being a developer's paradise... let's also hope they bring in good architects (not you Walter Parks)

We could turn my kids and their boxes (and boxes... and boxes... and boxes...) of Legos loose on the area and see what they would come up with! :tw_smiley:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, whw53 said:

@Downtownerthis one's here

https://www.architecturefirm.co/work-1#/rva-tower/

and it was @georgeglass who first shared this with us!

Interesting and very attractive portfolio. They do really good work. What's impressive - the One Residential Tower is the firm's ONLY highrise project currently displayed on their drawing boards. How about that!

Now let's find a way to get it built!! 

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I just looked at Nahum Goodenow website and didn’t see this on there anymore. I went under on the boards and it’s no longer there from what I can tell? Does anyone know where this photo was found if it was not Nahum goodenow just been getting a little worried about this now.

Hate to say it, but it was probably just a concept.  Not sure it had anything behind it other than it just being a possibility.  We've heard nothing official - was just a drawing we found on a architect's website.  Someone probably considered it at one time, but I don't hold out much faith in this actually being built.  I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Hate to say it, but it was probably just a concept.  Not sure it had anything behind it other than it just being a possibility.  We've heard nothing official - was just a drawing we found on a architect's website.  Someone probably considered it at one time, but I don't hold out much faith in this actually being built.  I hope I'm wrong.

Has anyone here tried to reach out to this firm about it? I'm sure a simple email should do it...

I will say, there is a reason them and a bunch of other architecture firms have parked their offices in jackson ward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Has anyone here tried to reach out to this firm about it? I'm sure a simple email should do it...

I will say, there is a reason them and a bunch of other architecture firms have parked their offices in jackson ward. 

^^^^ -- this is true. JW AND in the Arts District.

@ancientcarpenterI think @georgeglassdid and they confirmed at the time it's still an active project. The client is Bank Street Advisors - the group currently frustrated by the city on their holding up of the Soda Flats project in Scott's Addition. I hope they are not dissuaded by that episode to aim high here. I wouldn't blame them though - time is money and the planning process in this city is volatile. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenterI think @georgeglassdid and they confirmed at the time it's still an active project. The client is Bank Street Advisors - the group currently frustrated by the city on their holding up of the Soda Flats project in Scott's Addition. I hope they are not dissuaded by that episode to aim high here. I wouldn't blame them though - time is money and the planning process in this city is volatile. 

Oh Jesus -- really? Wow - I hope and pray the city's epic and massive FUBAR with Soda Flats doesn't prevent us from getting that GORGEOUS 25-story residential Beauty on Broad (which I think might just become my official nickname for the tower, should it get built). I noticed in the renderings on the architect's website that there are multiple versions of this building - unfortunately, at least one of them depicts a much smaller building (go figure!!). Here's strongly hoping that BSA reaches for the stars, should they ever move forward with this project, and give RVA her tallest residential building.

RVA+Tower+ARCHITECTUREFIRM+Diagrams1.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

I think it's all the same rendering - to me it seems the sketching at the bottom is an exercise in whats allowed on the property by right and then a justification for the height past that by saying hey what this building is doing is transferring the difference in allowable height from across the hisotric stock on this block to this project. Yes - this project on this parcel exceeds the B-4 height restriction but looking at the block as a whole - as the last developed parcel - it actualy makes up density that older, yet protected buildings on that block don't hit. It's a good argument. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, whw53 said:

I think it's all the same rendering - to me it seems the sketching at the bottom is an exercise in whats allowed on the property by right and then a justification for the height past that by saying hey what this building is doing is transferring the difference in allowable height from across the hisotric stock on this block to this project. Yes - this project on this parcel exceeds the B-4 height restriction but looking at the block as a whole - as the last developed parcel - it actualy makes up density that older, yet protected buildings on that block don't hit. It's a good argument. 

Wait - aside from the 4 : 1 setback requirement, I didn't think there was ANY height limit in a B-4 zoned area. Am I missing something?

38 minutes ago, whw53 said:

@I miss RVAis it trying to show it doesn't violate the 4:1 on the Broad face? It certainly does on the Madison st side. 

This is like one of those Lions Head Beer  bottlecap  illustrations where you have to guess what it's trying to communicate.

True!

Well, that also answers why they drew the pink slash through the drawing that actually matches the design in the full-color rendering. Too bad they don't have a rendering that actually matches the acceptable 4:1 ratio design -- which, tbh, I actually like even better because it puts the bulk of the building directly on the corner, giving it a much stronger presence on Broad Street itself.

Wow - so if this is still an active project, here's hoping Bank Street will actually move forward at some point and build this. The city needs to wake the e-double-f up regarding the Soda Flats project so as not to lose both the Soda Flats AND this potential gem.

Is there ANY indication at all that a POD was ever filed for ORT?

• Like 1

Some movement on the Grace Baptist Church front. Bill Goodwin & Historic Hotels have entered into a non-binding gentleman's agreement with two members of City Council  to delay demolition. At least that's something. Maybe  something can be worked out. Stay tuned.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/02/28/jefferson-hotel-owner-to-hold-off-on-second-baptist-church-demolition/

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, whw53 said:

The material piles and equipment seem to be clearing out of the Pinecrest site - hopefully the site is winding down as a utility staging  area and being prepped for ground breaking. 

I feel a Snoopy dance warming up - all it'll take is the announcement (and maybe a picture or two) that ground has been broken - and the feet will start flying! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

Seriously, with @whw53announcing earlier that there's some movement within the city paperwork stream for permits, etc., for the Bakery Lofts, and we know there's been quite a bit of site prep, etc., for demo up in Block D, I was wondering which highrise project would actually be the first one out of the gate in 2022. It is beginning to look like Pinecrest just might take those honors.

Interesting thought re: development nomenclature: we have references to "Block 6" and "Block 8" in Rockett's, and "Block D" downtown. Those kinds of naming conventions are pretty common in larger cities that are constantly seeing construction and redevelopment, no? Particularly when dealing with larger redevelopment projects. Exciting to see this kind of naming convention when discussing RVA redevelopments.

Edited by I miss RVA

17 hours ago, whw53 said:

The material piles and equipment seem to be clearing out of the Pinecrest site - hopefully the site is winding down as a utility staging  area and being prepped for ground breaking. 

We are talking about this dev? https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/08/17/15-story-apartment-tower-planned-for-monroe-ward-parking-lot/

This is HUGE news! I can't believe there is not a better rendering? This is 15 stories, correct? That's a big deal!

edit: I see there are some (google'd it) but also on RVADev map we use. These are pretty boring and almost look intentionally limited renderings. Why the cold shoulder?

Even their website doesn't show an official rendering: https://pinecrestus.com/properties/

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenter check page 2 - some better renderings there. Also, this project has increased to 16 stories. Thanks for link though - first time I'm hearing the official name - Parc View @ Commonwealth - snazzy!

Page 2?  I’m just not seeing it. It could be because I’m on a phone. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Page 2?  I’m just not seeing it. It could be because I’m on a phone. 

He is referring to page 2 of this thread. I was confused a little bit myself.

Here 

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120302-monroe-ward-oregon-hill/page/2/#comments

Edited by Icetera
Fixed link error.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenter check page 2 - some better renderings there. Also, this project has increased to 16 stories. Thanks for link though - first time I'm hearing the official name - Parc View @ Commonwealth - snazzy!

It's now 16 stories? YESSSS!!! Now I wonder if that means that, including all the extras on the roof, etc., for mechanical, this building will actually poke its head up a tad higher than the Berkshire right next door?

Edited by I miss RVA

• 2 weeks later...