Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

Slightly off topic for a brief moment - but I saw this in today's RBS about the Second Baptist Church debate - an open letter to Bill Goodwin, published on the website.

Idk why I'm laughing except for the fact that - OF COURSE - the comments section seems to have very quickly devolved into a ridiculous show of verbal fist-swinging. :tw_joy:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/16/guest-commentary-an-open-letter-to-mr-william-goodwin/

Edited by I miss RVA

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Slightly off topic for a brief moment - but I saw this in today's RBS about the Second Baptist Church debate - an open letter to Bill Goodwin, published on the website.

Idk why I'm laughing except for the fact that - OF COURSE - the comments section seems to have very quickly devolved into a ridiculous show of verbal fist-swinging. :tw_joy:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/03/16/guest-commentary-an-open-letter-to-mr-william-goodwin/

Just read it all. Sounds absolutely sad how twisted these peoples minds are. I’m going to be honest they all need to go seek Therapist. My comment would be get help now. This overbearing power trip of preservation is getting so old. If you want it buy it, sadly the powers that currently own it has tried everything to make it into something that is profitable. Why pour money into something that you will lose loads of money on. I’ve always said anyone in the business to lose money will never make it in the world. Plus just wait until they see the price of building materials they may want to look into that. Also as far as I’m concerned that building is a safety hazard to the public . I heard it was crumbling and falling apart. When it falls on someone just blame the preservationist for holding stuff up. FYI I love this building wish it could be saved but I just can’t see it being saved at the moment with the cost of building materials.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Also as far as I’m concerned that building is a safety hazard to the public . I heard it was crumbling and falling apart. When it falls on someone just blame the preservationist for holding stuff up. FYI I love this building wish it could be saved but I just can’t see it being saved at the moment with the cost of building materials.

It is in the condition it is in because the property owner neglected it...

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, RVARevert said:

Hey everyone, I've been following the RVA sub-forum for a while.  I am glad Monroe Ward is getting some development, personally I think this is one of the best parts of Richmond - location wise, and the next "boom" in the city. So many empty surface parking lots that are dying to be rezoned and developed. I hope to see more projects in the area soon!

Welcome @RVARevert!  Glad you came out of lurker mode!  I agree, would love to see Monroe Ward flourish with tall buildings that fill all the empty parking lots - what a waste of space those are right now.  Downtown has so much more room to grow!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RVARevert said:

Hey everyone, I've been following the RVA sub-forum for a while.  I am glad Monroe Ward is getting some development, personally I think this is one of the best parts of Richmond - location wise, and the next "boom" in the city. So many empty surface parking lots that are dying to be rezoned and developed. I hope to see more projects in the area soon!

Welcome aboard, @RVARevert! I echo @eandsleein that I'm so glad you're no longer a "long-time listener" but now a "first-time caller". 

100% agree with you on the potential for Monroe Ward to really take off as a boom area for RVA. My biggest worry right now is that with such extremely high construction costs, particularly the severely inflated costs of building materials, shipping, plus supply shortages, etc.) that projects might either end up truncated (witness the horrific butchering of the Block D project in City Center and the EXTREME truncation (another butchering!!!) of 512 Hull Street in Manchester, etc.,) or tabled to the point that they never materialize (I worry that River's Edge II in Manchester may end up meeting this fate). The sea of surface parking lots is -- strangely enough -- a potentially huge blessing in that there is at this time PLENTY of fertile ground for developers to plant their flags with highrise, high-density buildings. My other fear, however, is that because RVA's market size apparently isn't yet up to where developers of a certain depth of pocket can afford to "go big or go home" we'll end up seeing many of these developable blocks cluttered up with a bunch of new 5 or 6 story buildings - and not the 15, 18, 20-story towers we all want to see -- and by the time the RVA market has grown to the point that developers would get a better ROI, there will be little to no room for the taller buildings because all the parking lots will have been filled by smaller/shorter projects.

I'm praying for the economy to settle into a good, stable, strong place and for all of the snafus causing the cost of construction to skyrocket to mitigate such that we can feel more confident that there will be plenty of projects like the Pinecrest tower on the way - and diminished prevalence of the single-digit-story projects that, while technically better than a vacant lot, will end up reducing the number of parcels available for the big buildings to rise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

BREAKING>>>

A triplet of ZCLS filed today shows that Parkway is planning to take their surface parking lot at 115 N Foushee, 3 E Grace, 6 E Grace to a 12 glorious story residential building.

This will be across Foushee from YMCA /Fountainheads promised 11 story building.

@I miss RVA 's vision of high rises for MW may yet take shape. This one's for you sir.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

OMG!!! 12 stories? Are there any renderings or details/information with the filings?

@whw53 - you made my whole week. I think I'm gonna cry!  Thank you for this awesome news!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, whw53 said:

BREAKING>>>

A triplet of ZCLS filed today shows that Parkway is planning to take their surface parking lot at 115 N Foushee, 3 E Grace, 6 E Grace to a 12 glorious story residential building.

This will be across Foushee from YMCA /Fountainheads promised 11 story building.

@I miss RVA 's vision of high rises for MW may yet take shape. This one's for you sir.

Gotta find out more details!  This is exciting!

• Like 1

3 identical ZCLS - see attachments for details.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/85d1e487-cea1-43ea-ac6f-c5de6886ab4c

So it could be more if all is above grade. Note proposed use is 12 floors residential, 2 parking, 1 commercial. So a whopping 15 if all above grade.

3 for 3 parcels that this site consists**

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

3 identical ZCLS - see attachments for details.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/85d1e487-cea1-43ea-ac6f-c5de6886ab4c

So it could be more if all is above grade. Note proposed use is 12 floors residential, 2 parking, 1 commercial. So a whopping 15 if all above grade.

3 for 3 parcels that this site consists**

Folks - check out the language from the filing. This is VERY exciting, if it all comes to pass.

"The 'Proposed Use' of the entire Property includes a mixed-use residential
building of ~163 feet in height, consisting of approximately 264,390 Sq.ft. on 12
levels of residential space (249 units), 2 levels of parking and 1 level of possible
commercial/lobby/service spaces. The Proposed Use of the Property as described
in this paragraph is permitted without the necessity of any rezoning, special
exception, use permit or variance."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

This is great. This intersection may look unrecognizable in 5 years. Salvation Army moves to the site they bought on Chamberlayne at some point, so the northwest corner of foushee and Grace will also likely become redeveloped. 

We need to make sure to photographically chronicle these changes. I'd love to look back five years from now and see the comparison of the 'new' Foushee & Grace (or for that matter, the new Grace Street Corridor) vs today. A modern-day version of what Edith Shelton did for a few decades 50, 60, 70 years ago.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:44 PM, RVARevert said:

Welcome! 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:03 PM, I miss RVA said:

Folks - check out the language from the filing. This is VERY exciting, if it all comes to pass.

"The 'Proposed Use' of the entire Property includes a mixed-use residential
building of ~163 feet in height, consisting of approximately 264,390 Sq.ft. on 12
levels of residential space (249 units), 2 levels of parking and 1 level of possible
commercial/lobby/service spaces. The Proposed Use of the Property as described
in this paragraph is permitted without the necessity of any rezoning, special
exception, use permit or variance."

For residential floor heights, 163' is typically around 12-13 floors so parking sounds likely to be below ground.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Icetera said:

For residential floor heights, 163' is typically around 12-13 floors so parking sounds likely to be below ground.

Great info, @Icetera  Wow - a 13-foot floor height (if it actually is such) is actually fairly robust for residential buildings, no? That's more a standard for RVA office buildings, isn't it?

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Great info, @Icetera  Wow - a 13-foot floor height (if it actually is such) is actually fairly robust for residential buildings, no? That's more a standard for RVA office buildings, isn't it?

The lobby heights tend to up the average some.  I use the estimate from Emporis to calculate.  Office is about 16'.

• Thanks 1