Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Thanks so much for taking and posting these!

Wow - these really are VERY exciting times for RVA with SO many major projects underway and others about to get started. I never EVER thought I'd see this happening in Richmond. It is SO amazing to watch all of this unfolding.

Yep concrete being poured for the fourth floor. Those rod busters up there mean business. They are the guys who tie in the rebar. Thank the lord that fourth floor is where the apartments will begin. Floors one through 3 is parking. So glad that parking deck stuff wasn’t fun. You should of seen when r poured the first floor and we had to cover up the underground electrical pvc pipes that go to the emergency generator and the switch gear. That was a very late day. We were all covered in concrete when they poured it. I’ve had numerous late days on that job. Last month we had one day where we didn’t leave untill 8 pm 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bank Street Advisors - the developer behind the proposed 8-story apartment building planned for 219 W. Broad - has bought a couple more properties in the Art's District/Monroe Ward for rehabs.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/09/27/developer-bank-street-advisors-adds-to-downtown-holdings-with-two-more-deals/

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Very nice.  Hopefully they will convert it to senior housing in 15 years and I can live in it :) 

I'll live above you and jump up-and-down on the floor.

41 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

I wasn't aware it was student housing.  Same as the Ascend on Broad. I'll take them either way, but would be better if they were luxury condos.

Me too.  I though it was going to be geared towards students but anyone can live there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I'll live above you and jump up-and-down on the floor.

You'd better figure out how to levitate or live outdoors on the roof - if I move in, coz I'm occupying the 16th (TOP) floor. No noisy floor-jumpers gonna rain on MY parade! :tw_wink: :tw_tounge_xd:

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

Very nice.  Hopefully they will convert it to senior housing in 15 years and I can live in it :) 

Makes two of us, brother! :tw_smiley:

• Haha 2

Not sure if I mentioned to this to you guys or not regarding the pinecrest but vcu is buying it from the developer to use as dorms. Apparently vcu found a loophole where they can get a developer to build it for them and sell it to vcu instead of vcu building it themselves and somehow it makes it cheaper for vcu to get a developer to build it and buy it from the developer. I was told this by my project manager for the company I work for. So you may want to keep an eye out for more of this from vcu in order for them to save money however that is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Not sure if I mentioned to this to you guys or not regarding the pinecrest but vcu is buying it from the developer to use as dorms. Apparently vcu found a loophole where they can get a developer to build it for them and sell it to vcu instead of vcu building it themselves and somehow it makes it cheaper for vcu to get a developer to build it and buy it from the developer. I was told this by my project manager for the company I work for. So you may want to keep an eye out for more of this from vcu in order for them to save money however that is.

I wonder if this is how they plan to build the 12-story Honors dorm at Laurel and Grace in a couple of years when it gets funded in the next biennium?

Let's wait and see if we can get another source to corroborate that. It doesn't align with the One VCU plan or Pinecrest's strategy as developer\operator so I'm taking this with a grain of salt. Not to dis-credit your source but there could be some confusion - more reasonably  I could see VCU maybe bulk leasing a portion of the building to assist with dormitory needs in the short term while it builds out its on campus dorm projects. 

With enrollment down  4 years in a row how pressing is providing more on campus housing really? 

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, whw53 said:

With enrollment down  4 years in a row how pressing is providing more on campus housing really? 

VCU was largely a commuter school just 15 years ago, not sure if they are still trying to transition into a more on campus student base with more student housing. 

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

VCU was largely a commuter school just 15 years ago, not sure if they are still trying to transition into a more on campus student base with more student housing. 

Very true - that's been a hallmark of VCU from as far back as I can remember.  In fact, I myself was a VCU commuter student from fall semester '81 through '85. :tw_thumbsup:

16 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Not only that but considered somewhat of a safety school, especially for RVA residents... and a natural funnel from the local community college systems for kids who couldn't afford to leave home - great deal for those kids that I hope VCU can recognize as a major runway for those looking to break the cycle of poverty/low income upbringing. 

I had/have a lot of family and friends go to VCU and treat it as a commuter school from 20 years ago to even today. I say this as a compliment as someone who grew up in Richmond and always had a sour taste of VCU: I would be very proud to send my kids to VCU. It really is a world class university that will give you what you put into it.  But also, Go Spiders!

I did hear freshman have to live on-campus first year. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Not only that but considered somewhat of a safety school, especially for RVA residents... and a natural funnel from the local community college systems for kids who couldn't afford to leave home - great deal for those kids that I hope VCU can recognize as a major runway for those looking to break the cycle of poverty/low income upbringing. 

I had/have a lot of family and friends go to VCU and treat it as a commuter school from 20 years ago to even today. I say this as a compliment as someone who grew up in Richmond and always had a sour taste of VCU: I would be very proud to send my kids to VCU. It really is a world class university that will give you what you put into it.  But also, Go Spiders!

I did hear freshman have to live on-campus first year. 

I was a 4 1/2 year commuter student (I had a larger credit load because I completed two minors in addition to my major, hence, the extra semester) - and growing up in Richmond and attending VCU, I've had nothing but beaming pride as an alum of the institution. As for froshes having to live on campus - that was not the case when I attended. No idea if they've changed it, but I can't see why they would (to me that would be a very regressive policy to institute, and VCU has never in my lifetime been anything even remotely close to regressive in its approach to stuff like that...)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

If you go to SMBW’s instagram, it looks like they have something potentially tall in early stage designing at the corner of southeast corner of Grace and Madison. 1 block east of Pinecrest’s 16 story project. 

The middle massing appears to be a floor or two taller than Pinecrest so the taller option is likely pushing 22-25 floors, much like the prior massing demo on Broad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjTfBXFsOWy/?hl=en

image.png.d37c838db03a86432fdfe2ac56414e4b.png

image.png.8d8a005a2b95c29696e4b4793effb575.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

If you go to SMBW’s instagram, it looks like they have something potentially tall in early stage designing at the corner of southeast corner of Grace and Madison. 1 block east of Pinecrest’s 16 story project. 

Holy WOW, Batman! (or would that be Coupeman or Batcoupe?) ... 

Question: I just visited the site - where is there information or markings that this is the SE corner of Grace & Madison? I didn't see any street labellings.

Another question: I just Googled the intersection - there are currently buildings on the SE corner of Grace and Maddy. Would this mean these buildings would be coming down? (Hellooooooooo effing NIMBYs...) image.png.dfe006cbfbbeb6d2a56c1dc964ae704e.png

Screenshot (2322).png

Edited by I miss RVA

6 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Holy WOW, Batman! (or would that be Coupeman or Batcoupe?) ... 

Question: I just visited the site - where is there information or markings that this is the SE corner of Grace & Madison? I didn't see any street labellings.

Another question: I just Googled the intersection - there are currently buildings on the SE corner of Grace and Maddy. Would this mean these buildings would be coming down? (Hellooooooooo effing NIMBYs...) image.png.dfe006cbfbbeb6d2a56c1dc964ae704e.png

Screenshot (2322).png

There aren’t markers. Had to do a little detective work!  :tw_glasses:
you can tell by the background building massings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

There aren’t markers. Had to do a little detective work!  :tw_glasses:
you can tell by the background building massings.

I will say that convenience store next to the pinecrest needs to come down once the pinecrest is done. We love it for bags of ice and drinks and course for the smokers I work with cigs and vapes.  I however don’t smoke or vape or put anything in my mouth of that nature. So once pinecrest is complete please get rid of that convenience store on the corner.

2 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

here’s what’s on the lot now…and some progress photos.  Man this one is going up fast! 

4C36FA2B-DAA5-436C-B804-60B036551967.jpeg

AC65D509-4AE2-48CB-B8A3-4765DF00046D.jpeg

43A38B05-CB9D-43E8-BFA2-567D912C9841.jpeg

Regarding pinecrest we have really ramped up hiring. A lot of new employees have come aboard for all projects.

• Like 3

City parcel info shows that building from 1910. I think it was built in a style to seem older than it is.so it may not have much historic value. I could not find much else on it.

This tracks with the Richmond Photo story from a few weeks back. Bank St controls this site now. I'm sure they bought it for the lot not to manage whatever menial office space exists in that structure.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

Update on the Fountainhead - YMCA sites and surrounding parcels. Grace Foushee tower now down to 7 stories unfortunately but it will be moving forward first now.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/10/06/land-deals-for-downtown-ymca-apartments-give-parking-lot-to-jefferson-hotel-owner/

Note the renderings. Maybe we confused this rendering of the Grace Foushee site as being the Adams Foushee tower at one point. Well we get both now - just no 11 story.

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2