Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

So this building had been posted about before a year or so ago probably. It is from architecturefirm. They did the Quirk in Charlottesville among other things. For a while, it wasn't on their website anymore, but now it's back with new renders. A while back I had messaged them through Instagram to ask if it was dead, and they said it wasn't...just on hold. With the update, I wonder if something will come to pass? I sure hope so because it looks great! The other buildings in the render I can't quite place, so maybe it's just to show a likeness. Still, from looking at maps, I am wondering if this would go at the parking lot at the corner of Broad and Madison??

image.thumb.png.863fd4369e8e3e1715e5ad808f9cad38.png

https://www.architecturefirm.co/work-1#/rva-tower/

image.thumb.png.031a601e8c36e7979acf743cdd10f4d1.png

• Like 4

16 hours ago, georgeglass said:

So this building had been posted about before a year or so ago probably. It is from architecturefirm. They did the Quirk in Charlottesville among other things. For a while, it wasn't on their website anymore, but now it's back with new renders. A while back I had messaged them through Instagram to ask if it was dead, and they said it wasn't...just on hold. With the update, I wonder if something will come to pass? I sure hope so because it looks great! The other buildings in the render I can't quite place, so maybe it's just to show a likeness. Still, from looking at maps, I am wondering if this would go at the parking lot at the corner of Broad and Madison??

Broad and Madison seems like the spot:

• 2 weeks later...

The Brinser Building at 208\212 E Grace. St was the site of a permit issued this week. The description shows this project will be mixed use - 10 res. units and 2 renovated commercial bays.

Here's a blog post from last year discussing the design of the building - like most of Grace St, some cool history here.

https://rocketwerks.tumblr.com/post/617611779379462144/brinser-building-208-east-grace-street-built-1930

212EGrace_permit.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Icetera changed the title to Monroe Ward / City Center

I actually really like this.  Had it been located elsewhere perhaps not as much but it fits really well there.

Unfortunately, the massing does mean it will have little impact on the skyline as it blends into The Berkshire from most angles but the density will be great for the area and will hopefully be a catalyst for further towers at varying heights.

Of note, that extra floor secures its position into the 200' + Club, which makes for another entry on the Richmond Tallest wiki :)

• Like 3

These are the first renderings we are seeing of this project and I'm not disappointed, but I didn't have high expectations either.  Looks decent and like others have said here, the design fits well in that area.  I would hope that it would stand out in the skyline a bit more, but we'll see how it looks during and after construction.  Was there a groundbreaking date?  I thought it wasn't until either later this year or next (that's what I recall, but I could be wrong)?

• Like 2

I like the design, massing and density. And 16 stories is definitely a plus! Here's looking forward to approval of the SUP and hopefully a groundbreaking in the very near future.

Icetera and eandslee:  I agree - it is too bad that this building won't necessarily stand out all that much from the Berkshire - however, consider that there are many sections of Manhattan (I'm thinking particularly on the Upper East Side) where sizeable residential buildings sort of "blend in" together - no one building necessarily stands out from another - yet the massing and density is fantastic. No question, this will be a great add -- perfect location, great design, and hopefully this will be the catalyst for developers to begin planting ever taller residential buildings in Monroe Ward.  I still have hopes of seeing a forest of highrises in Monroe Ward before my days on the earth are complete!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Hopefully this will generate some momentum for higher rise buildings in Monroe Ward.  Like many on this board, I would like to see more height; however, if Monroe Ward gets a slew of projects on this scale, it will be a great, highly urban, dense neighborhood (even if it seldom breaks 200').   Many European cities do not break ten stories and they feel quite dense because the streetscape is vibrant and busy. 

I keep waiting for someone to fill in the sea of surface parking lots between Main and Canal.

Fully agreed. I think this project will be the catalyst for more development - and as the area becomes increasingly dense, I think we'll see a gradual increase in the size/height or projects.

If I recall, parcel upon which this new tower is slated to rise was one of three parcels in that area (I think one in the 100 W. Grace? and another in the 300 block? Or both in the 100 block?) - that requested zoning changes -with mention of replacing parking lots with new high-density residential development). I would not be at all surprised to see more announcements for that part of town at some point in the relatively near future. (I don't know anything - I'm just surmising).

whw53 - does that ring a bell? (I'm asking you because you've got a good channel to the nuts-and-bolts paperwork flowing through city council and the planning department)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

If I recall, parcel upon which this new tower is slated to rise was one of three parcels in that area (I think one in the 100 W. Grace? and another in the 300 block? Or both in the 100 block?) - that requested zoning changes -with mention of replacing parking lots with new high-density residential development)

whw53 - does that ring a bell? (I'm asking you because you've got a good channel to the nuts-and-bolts paperwork flowing through city council and the planning department)

You recall correctly.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the 104, 108 W Grace parcels on the north side don't comprise as much of the block as depicted there. According to the city Parcel Mapper the only pieces controlled by Thalhimer are these outlined in yellow - the rest of the parking lot to both sides is city property. 

104108WGraceSt.jpg

These lots and the 109 lot on south side of Grace were being used to meet parking requirements for the Towers on Franklin development. The action slashed that parking requirement from the Towers development, freeing up these lots for development.

From the applicants report: 

"The reduction in parking requirement would allow for property to operate independently with the 57 parking spaces available on-site. This would make the surface parking lots located at 104, 108 and 109 West Grace Street available for development in accordance with the recommendations in the Pulse Corridor Plan."

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4602066&GUID=821BBDC3-3713-4522-BAEE-8C3A7EABE1BF&Options=&Search=

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps a developer (or developers) might purchase the city-owned parcels and we could see something built there in addition to 104-108. If the owner of 104-108 could snag one or both of those parcels and consolidate the development space, it would be interesting to see what might get built there - although if three separate buildings of decent size and height were to rise there, I certainly would not complain.

There is just so much untapped potential in Monroe Ward literally across the board. I hope the city will continue to push for high-density and developers will respond with increased height.

I still have dreams of "the sea of parking lots" being converted into "a forest of high rises".

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, whw53 said:

Impressive new building at corner of Cary & Belvidere - it's nice to see VCU with this project and ICA begin to embrace Belvidere instead of turning away from it.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/02/09/vcu-unveils-new-93m-engineering-school-research-building/

Also, a nice gateway into Monroe Ward and downtown from the Fan. Still a lot of parking surrounding the Jefferson just past this for next 2 blocks - I wish Jefferson people would wake up and realize their beauty of a hotel would be in a better context if it wasn't surrounded by parking lots but in an actual urban environment. Does anyone know if the Jefferson has ever toyed with the idea of redeveloping their parking blocks? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Bruce left a solid comment on this story - and he is spot on in that this is something that must be addressed:

"This sounds like another great tower for the Richmond skyscape and tax base. Unfortunately, more than $1 Billion in real estate tax revenue is tied up in City Hall because the City refuses to meet its legal obligation to fully fund and hire more staff in its planning and permitting departments. I hope this one can get a building permit by 2022!"

I can't help but wonder what it will take to get this sorted out. We can't afford to leave a billion dollars of development on the table to wither away while Richmond is on a huge development roll.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I can't help but wonder what it will take to get this sorted out. We can't afford to leave a billion dollars of development on the table to wither away while Richmond is on a huge development roll.

Perhaps a better Mayor that cares and competent people in City Hall as well as a  competent City Council.  I can imagine that many developers don't want to build anything in the city because they know that getting the city to issue permits will be a complete $h!tshow!  This HAS to get fixed or it will hold Richmond back.  I think it already is a big factor as to why Richmond isn't growing faster.  Amazing to me that developers still want to build in Richmond despite the many issues that comes with it.  Just think what would happen if this road block was cleared?!  The city needs to implement whatever it is that Henrico County does...STAT!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

The city needs to implement whatever it is that Henrico County does...STAT!

I bet the city needs a lot more staff per permit compared to the counties' considering nearly any project effects other properties and older, denser infrastructure in the surrounding area,  plus historic considerations.  In comparison, the counties get to practically just copy/paste to empty land.  If only we could consolidate resources with Henrico...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I bet the city needs a lot more staff per permit compared to the counties' considering nearly any project effects other properties and older, denser infrastructure in the surrounding area,  plus historic considerations.  In comparison, the counties get to practically just copy/paste to empty land.  If only we could consolidate resources with Henrico...

I get what you are saying, but that’s not a good excuse. The city needs to be efficient at what is required for their jurisdiction.  No matter how many more steps need to be taken in the city than in the counties, there is no excuse for not being efficient at your own processes!

• Like 3