Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

On 1/3/2023 at 8:18 PM, Downtowner said:

The electrical side of this building has been the biggest mess and I’m going to laugh when the electrical side implodes whoever at my company thought it was a smart idea to but Smurf tubing or in more technical terms electrical non metallic tubing. It’s just plastic tubing but what’s so bad is they covered it up with concrete when they poured each floor. We fired our superintendent who was on this job. He was very unprofessional and I think he lied about what he had done job experience wise when we hired him. But the guy who planned the engineering of this building when they get inside and start shoving wires into the tubing they are going to find out how horrible of a decision that was. It’s going to be smashed and cracked to pieces from the weight of the concrete. 

We actually used these plastic conduits in slabs on our site with mostly success.  The electricians used plastic flex tubes which are actually thick.  True a couple of times these conduits broke during slab pours.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Shakman said:

We actually used these plastic conduits in slabs on our site with mostly success.  The electricians used plastic flex tubes which are actually thick.  True a couple of times these conduits broke during slab pours.

Well we already had so many of them broken already by the time I was last at the site they had us putt duct tape over the cracked part of it. So that should say something. I’m hoping it’s okay but I don’t feel great with it considering the amount of concrete poured over it especially after we all had to put duct tape on the broken part of it. we put tripods to under at certain points to hold it in place. I think it may backfire i really hope I’m wrong once we start running home runs and start getting raceway hooked in. Electrical terms in case anyone was wondering. Im a little skeptical but Im praying they prove me wrong. We will see over time. Im in Charlottesville working at uva and in downtown Charlottesville on a new office building on second street called 3twenty3. It’s a nice a building. Supposedly we are setting up the 5th and 6th floor for an explosives company called general atomic. We have lots of security there when we go in due to who leased the 5th and 6th floors. Supposed to be done with that job in June and then I’m pretty much leaving Richmond for good. Going to miss it but I’m going to really feel better with where I will be living with my wife and my daughter. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Well we already had so many of them broken already by the time I was last at the site they had us putt duct tape over the cracked part of it. So that should say something. I’m hoping it’s okay but I don’t feel great with it considering the amount of concrete poured over it especially after we all had to put duct tape on the broken part of it. we put tripods to under at certain points to hold it in place. I think it may backfire i really hope I’m wrong once we start running home runs and start getting raceway hooked in. Electrical terms in case anyone was wondering. Im a little skeptical but Im praying they prove me wrong. We will see over time. Im in Charlottesville working at uva and in downtown Charlottesville on a new office building on second street called 3twenty3. It’s a nice a building. Supposedly we are setting up the 5th and 6th floor for an explosives company called general atomic. We have lots of security there when we go in due to who leased the 5th and 6th floors. Supposed to be done with that job in June and then I’m pretty much leaving Richmond for good. Going to miss it but I’m going to really feel better with where I will be living with my wife and my daughter. 

Pretty sure they make highly sensitive military equipment (drones, etc.) I think they also have a hand in fusion energy which, if proven successful (by anyone who is doing it), will revolutionize how we use and consume energy...tricky little thing but we'll probably get there. Hopefully before climate change takes the path of no return, yikes! I can't imagine eyes not being on you 24/7 when you're in there - you Russian/Chinese/Saudi/Iranian spy!

https://www.citybiz.co/article/156250/general-atomics-leases-at-3twenty3-building-in-charlottesville/

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

This isn’t from too far away but here it is as viewed from farther up Grace Street…

23C54223-3FEF-41C5-BA26-40120A6E8BFE.png

Holy WOW! Thank you, @Brent114for taking and posting this! Methinks I'ma gonna hafta either shine up TWO of the official RVA UP YDM SILVER PORT A POTTY trophies  or we we simply engrave two names on the trophy for this week's award because you're definitely in the running for your second-consecutive YOU DA MAN award! WOW!

This building by itself changes the whole feel and streetscape of Grace Street. Gives it SUCH an amazing urban look and feel. Now if only some of the taller buildings that have been discussed for sites EAST of the Parc View can be built to full spec (I know one building got truncated - but - I believe there are at least two in the running for double-digit floors in the general vicinity of Foushee & Grace. We get THOSE added to the mix and we'll definitely begin to see a real, legit Grace Street Corridor starting to take shape in Monroe Ward.

Wow - I'm blown away by just how much of a difference this building is already making.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

You can see the Honors College building there in the picture, which iirc is across from the Bookbinders.com building, which has long been rumored to eventually give way to a VCU-built tower per their master plan. Can't wait for that. This whole block is already looking nice and dense, and with Parc View there in the distance, you get a sense the city feels really large and punches above its weight in density, which I always thought it has.

Have any more details on this supposed VCU tower?  I want to learn more!

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Have any more details on this supposed VCU tower?  I want to learn more!

12-story housing tower in the VCU masterplan that was set for 2026 (roughly behind the datacenter under construction).  This came out pre-pandemic, if I recall, and we have not heard much for updates in quite some time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shakman said:

Thanks for the wonderful pics Brent and Ward!

We need to stick to the rules.  One Porto-O-Potty trophy per week.  Once we start bending the rules, things can get convoluted.

True... we don't want to introduce - AHEM - "occasional irregularity" now, do we! (Things would get a lot more than just convoluted in that case!) :tw_flushed::tw_wink:

So methinks there will be multiple names engraved on this week's trophy. :tw_smiley:

Edited by I miss RVA

@eandslee& @Icetera-- funding for the Honors building (12 stories) was slated to be included in the appropriation for the 2024-26 biennium, and that appropriation will likely come up in this year's G.A. session. 

Ice - the Bookbinder building - isn't that on Broad Street? Or am I thinking of something else? OR - are you referring to what was originally Metropolitan Hospital? Like you said - the Honors dorm is to be built on the north side of Grace - more or less across the alley from the new Tech building/data center. There's another tower slated to be built across Grace from the Honors dorm?

Agreed - Grace Street is starting to really come together as a potentially epic urban corridor street. If we get the height, bulk and density of construction east of Parc View (in the Foushee and Grace area) -- the street will get even beefier. I can't wait for more height and density to come to this section of Monroe Ward in the coming years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

@eandslee& @Icetera-- funding for the Honors building (12 stories) was slated to be included in the appropriation for the 2024-26 biennium, and that appropriation will likely come up in this year's G.A. session. 

Ice - the Bookbinder building - isn't that on Broad Street? Or am I thinking of something else? OR - are you referring to what was originally Metropolitan Hospital? Like you said - the Honors dorm is to be built on the north side of Grace - more or less across the alley from the new Tech building/data center. There's another tower slated to be built across Grace from the Honors dorm?

Agreed - Grace Street is starting to really come together as a potentially epic urban corridor street. If we get the height, bulk and density of construction east of Parc View (in the Foushee and Grace area) -- the street will get even beefier. I can't wait for more height and density to come to this section of Monroe Ward in the coming years.

I believe he means the one-story BookHolders building at Grace and Laurel (not to be confused with Virginia Book Company in the Chesterfield at Franklin and Shafer St).  Broad Street is The Book Bindery, not to be confused with the Old Original Bookbinder's restaurant in Tobacco Row (which I only now have learned are unrelated), phew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

I believe he means the one-story BookHolders building at Grace and Laurel (not to be confused with Virginia Book Company in the Chesterfield at Franklin and Shafer St).  Broad Street is The Book Bindery, not to be confused with the Old Original Bookbinder's restaurant in Tobacco Row (which I only now have learned are unrelated), phew!

Holy reading rooms, Batman!!! Glad you're keeping a book on this topic, lest we be in a bind trying to figure all of this out! :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ward Wood said:

Friday morning photo dump.

parc view and then that other new building on broad next to ICA I am blanking on

55444C03-04E6-4A72-95CB-21A1A9A68A1F.jpeg

E514459A-77A9-475E-B2C3-4D52BB5E5315.jpeg

01C1239C-4B13-42FB-97AD-84B02E6F1CDC.jpeg

One more for good measure 

C128395A-163E-4988-80B6-96E5A76C2BB9.jpeg

Nice photos!!  Man, you’re killing it!!  

Now, I’M going blank on the name of the one on Broad too…some kind of research institute??  Gee, I hate when this happens…

We’ve got a great contender for the award this week right here!!

Thanks for posting - these photos rock!

BTW, is than a concrete elevator shaft I see peaking at the top in photos #1 & #3?

Edited by eandslee

The VCU project 'Technology Operations Center'

https://masterplan.vcu.edu/implementation/current-projects/technology-operations-center/

Oh nice @Ward Wood - looks like the brick work has started. I love those 2 rowhome style split levels on the block. The eastern most vinyl structure is actually pretty recent. That brick one was the sole structure on that block face only a few years  ago. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Going to be honest I’m very proud and feel accomplished I helped build part of parc view. It just really gives you an awesome feeling in being part of a huge project like that. I did the underground electrical duct bank for the electrical that runs through the emergency generator and the main power panel that runs into the building. My final day on that job we were only up to the third floor. But to know I helped with that building it just makes you feel awesome.

image.png.c8f57a5805c08f52ceb9aad0a800a4e1.png !!!!!! TO THIS!!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup::tw_thumbsup:  You absolutely should feel proud, @Downtownerfor the work you put in on this building!

Folks, what do you think? I honestly feel @Downtownerhas MORE than earned (retroactively since we're in 2023) the RVA/UP "YOU DA MAN" AWARD for FULL YEAR 2022 based on the hand he had in building this city last year with his outstanding work and contributions toward RVA's newest downtown high-rise - the Parc View. By that token he ABSOLUTELY should receive the prestigious RVA/UP YDM SILVER PORT-A-POTTY trophy covering the entire year of 2022. He definitely has both my nomination and also my vote as the 2022 full-year award winner.

Truly - everyone can - and should - say of you - quoting the classic Starship song:  "YOU BUILT THIS CITY!!" :tw_thumbsup:

Guys - what say you?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2