Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Filling vacant positions seems like a logical place to start. 

100% agree, Coupe.  And you'd think it wouldn't be that hard. What's the hiccup, I wonder? Budgetary? Surely they have enough baked into the city budget to cover beefing up headcount in the planning/permit offices, yes? It's pure suicide from an economic and developmental standpoint to just let a billion dollars of development sit idle in someone's inbox. The should be one of the Mayor's or the Council's top priorities.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

15 hours ago, whw53 said:

Good to see Douglas continuing to renovate downtown - article mentions they have 20 properties, i may query from county parcel data at some point to get a clear picture of their holdings - I hope they revisit Broad Street next and fix up that stock around 2nd. Those buildings sitting there decaying are a gash in the heart  of the Arts District.

I count 18 unique parcels (approx. 28 addresses) along Broad so E. Main must be the 2 outliers.

Jemal Properties Small.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Glad to see things finally moving forward on these projects. I wonder then how far away any potential ground-breaking might be? Obviously, I'm particularly interested in the Pinecrest Tower - which should be a catalyst for other highrise residential developments in that part of Monroe Ward.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Hike said:

Oh, I know which one this is now...sorry.  I just didn’t know it by the name Pinecrest Tower.  Thanks for refreshing my memory!  Yeah, hope this breaks ground soon!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Ward Wood said:

So I believe per biz sense this AM that this property was just purchased by Bank Street at 225 W Broad st (?): https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/21/developer-adds-to-downtown-broad-street-holdings/

This is based on my google maps investigative work to try to match the buildings from the architecture firm website in the "plane" mock-up to google maps - https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5485728,-77.4443534,301a,35y,180h,39.38t/data=!3m1!1e3

Oh man!  It looks like Bank Street and ArchitectureFirm have worked with each other in the past too!  (prob not news to a lot of you ha!).  Maybe this project is coming to fruition!!!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2018/01/31/redevelopment-add-apartments-cary-st-corner/

https://www.hotelmanagement.net/openings/second-art-focused-quirk-hotel-opens-virginia

Nice digging!  This one would certainly change the game.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Nice digging!  This one would certainly change the game.

Well, I just realized the purchase actually occurred May 21st 2020 not 2021 :) .  Probably old news but hey - we know Bank Street and ArchitectureFirm work together!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Everyone's got their 'most want to break ground' project - this is far and away mine.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Same here - this one, by far, is the one I want the most.

Right behind it is Rivers Edge II (the twin buildings in Manchester) and PortRVA2 (512 Hull Street).

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Everyone's got their 'most want to break ground' project - this is far and away mine.

It used to be Opus and now it's this one for me too. Followed by the 12 story building at 200 E Marshall

edit: actually no! The one I want to break ground the most is the big Public Safety Building site redevelopment:

CCP-Development.jpg?w=1280

(followed by this one at Broad/Madison)

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Since we’re at it...mine is the, much anticipated, CoStar tower!  I know we don’t even know what it looks like yet, but hey - it’s probably going to be monumental!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Since we’re at it...mine is the, much anticipated, CoStar tower!  I know we don’t even know what it looks like yet, but hey - it’s probably going to be monumental!

Me too, I look almost everyday for a sneak peek accident of images on line like I found last time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Well, keep looking and keep digging.  One day you just might get lucky again! ;)

I got lucky last time,  literally,  I saw them searching the project name in google images, downloaded them,  went back to look for more and they were gone. 

• Like 2

You know, when you say it like you just did, it actually IS a significant amount of construction, growth, and expansion of the skyline.  I knew we had a “few” in queue to be built, but I had never sat down and counted the projects. 18 is a lot of high rises!!  Still not satisfied though - we want more!!  Thanks for quantifying what we are actually witnessing!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hike said:

Agree and after reading I miss RVA (which I hope you live here and don't still miss it) be like. 

SMhO.gif

LOL!  Unfortunately, I think "I miss RVA" still lives in the Chicago area.  :(  I can vouch for how he feels though - as someone in the military and have lived in many places around the country, I didn't realize how much I really loved RVA until I was no longer living there.  Richmond will always have a place in my heart - I was born there and I met my wife and started our lives together there (married happily for 23 years thus far)!  Seems that everything good in my life started in Richmond!  I'm not currently living in RVA, but I live very close...sometimes, just not close enough...and I still miss RVA!

• Like 2

eandslee - you are correct, sir. I do still live in Chicagoland-- have been here for 20 years and counting.  And Hike - yeah, I really do miss RVA. I tend to live vicariously through the web - watching the city grow and boom makes me want to come home at least to visit. It's been a while since I was last there - too long in fact. Maybe in the fall or winter - as post-pandemic life starts to stabilize, I'll come for a visit.  I'm fully vaxxed - so it's not even the travel - rather, I'm no longer used to Virginia summers anymore - I was back in Virginia with the wife & kids a couple of years ago (in the D.C. area) - and I thought I was going to die. It was April and it was already in the upper 80s and that suffocating humidity I remembered so well from 38 years of living in RVA... ugh...  In fact - (even though I dropped to my knees and kissed the Virginia ground when we left the terminal at DCA and I found a grassy spot) - I told my wife - "Now I remember exactly why I left..." 

In truth, I've always preferred winter to summer and autumn to spring.  Chicago weather is MUCH more to my liking - the summers can get brutally hot & humid here - make no mistake - but they don't last nearly as long as RVA summers - we do get incursions of cooler air that will break up the hot days. And of course, I love cold weather and snow - so I don't complain at all, tbh.

But I do want to come home to visit - not so much people (there are a few friends and scattered fam) ... but to see the city. To reunite with my hometown. To see her as she's starting to shed the "old" Richmond I remember - and become the "new" Richmond I always hoped and dreamed she would become. I'm crazy proud of RVA and what's happening right now - and I just hope I live long enough to see this great city REALLY flourish and step up several notches on the 'big city' ladder. I can't wait to see what she'll look like in 3 to 5 years. 

• Like 3