Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

whw53

16 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Not a factor. I had heard that the seller didn’t want higher density. So, this is probably the best outcome, and more ownership opportunities is a good thing. 

Wow ... the "seller" didn't want higher density? So the seller wasn't going to sell to any developer who would have built something large-scale? Really?

That's rich. I've never heard of something like that before. Whatever happened to "money talks, BS walks?"

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

If you have other interests in the immediate vicinity and you don’t perceive a high density project to be in your favor.

I would roll my eyes and say "only in Richmond" (and probably be at least partially correct) - but I'm sure this kind of thing happens in bigger cities as well. 

Construction has begun in earnest! 
 I just drove past the site again, this time on Cary Street.  They have torn up the parking lots and concrete curbs today (form Main to Cary).  The orange silt fence has been placed around the site too. 
Orange silt fence you say? Flipped to orange on the dev map to match.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing so far - and I believe at least a portion of that block on which the 14-story building will rise has been renovated and is occupied. I think. Don't hold me to that. Idk if this was a spec project or what the deal was. Personally, it's one of the MUST HAVE buildings on my list of projects I dearly want constructed. This one, the River's Edge II twin 11-story buildings in Manchester, and the 25-story glass and steel residential tower somewhere in the Arts District on Broad Street - maybe near Madison or Monroe? That was never made 100% clear.

Either way - there's been no movement whatsoever on the 14-story building project and it was never announced by anyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Do we have an RBS article for it? Would love tor more details ... 

Right now it's conceptual - no construction plans have been filed. Only item from BizSense was a story about their purchase of the property last year.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/21/developer-adds-to-downtown-broad-street-holdings/

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Right now it's conceptual - no construction plans have been filed. Only item from BizSense was a story about their purchase of the property last year.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/05/21/developer-adds-to-downtown-broad-street-holdings/

Very exciting. That would be the building that really kicks off that area into a new category of progress. Would love to see it honestly. Quite a beauty too and in the perfect location. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Very exciting. That would be the building that really kicks off that area into a new category of progress. Would love to see it honestly. Quite a beauty too and in the perfect location. 

It's a gorgeous design, isn't it? Very cosmopolitan - something you'd see in Manhattan or in downtown Chicago (I used to ride the "L" right by such buildings when I worked in downtown Chicago not that many years ago) ... This building would be a fantastic add not only to the RVA skyline but to the entire feel, vibe, pulse and energy of downtown.

I keep visualizing this conceptual "view" of downtown looking west from the City Hall observation deck - or - from the top of the old phone company building at 7th & Grace (where a photographer did a series of amazing photos in 2020 - one of which is my avatar)... or even just a photog getting creative with a drone... and I keep seeing what downtown might look like in 5 to 8  years - with this tower (25 stories) at Madison and Broad, the 14-story building at 4th and Broad (SW corner), the 12-story building set to rise at 2nd and Marshall, the 15-story building at 321 W. Grace, and - if you recall - the old NH plan called for a 20-story residential/mixed use tower to rise on the SE corner of 4th and Broad (currently a surface lot) where the old G.C. Murphy store used to be -- AND -- a resurrection of plans for the "City Center" project - either a one or two tower residential/mixed use/hotel complex 18 or more stories tall on the south side of Grace Street between 6th & 7th.

Just imagine how epic the change would be for downtown should that group of buildings -- all of them -- rise during this decade. Wow!

I pray constantly that this comes to pass.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/16/philly-firm-snaps-up-more-parking-lots-in-2-9m-monroe-ward-deal/
Two more parking lots sell in Monroe Ward. Same developer as the 12 story tower in Jackson Ward along Marshall St and in the article, the developer mentions that they want to “make full use of the property”. Great sign! Looks like we might see 12+ stories on both of these lots.

Great sign. Monroe Ward is definitely the biggest opportunity area for this city.  Adjacent to downtown and huge expanses of surface lots all over.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

This is fantastic. I'll never forget a quote from Bette Midler that I read in [RTD/Style Weekly/Richmond mag] back in the day, something along the lines of "my God, you have a GORGEOUS city, but what is with all the holes? Fill in the parking lots!" Monroe Ward offers tremendous infill potential to build downtown's residential base. It could be our own unique version of Portland's Pearl District. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/16/philly-firm-snaps-up-more-parking-lots-in-2-9m-monroe-ward-deal/
Two more parking lots sell in Monroe Ward. Same developer as the 12 story tower in Jackson Ward along Marshall St and in the article, the developer mentions that they want to “make full use of the property”. Great sign! Looks like we might see 12+ stories on both of these lots.

This is fantastic news! And check out this quote from the RBS article: (my edits for clarification are in parenthesis)

"While Parkway (Corp. - the land purchaser/potential developer) hasn’t said yet what it plans for the lots, (Nathan) Shor (of Jim's Family Parking) said the development trends in Richmond point in a certain direction.

The development world has found verticality in Richmond like never before,” Shor said. “Where you used to go to the suburbs and buy 20 acres, now you come to the city for 2 acres.

Here's hoping that's a tip-of-the-hand as to what's to come. Given that Parkway is involved with the 12-story apartment building set to rise in Jackson Ward - and that there is mention (in the story) of the 15-story apartment building set to rise at 321 W. Grace, let's hope that we will be seeing announcements of, minimally this level, and hopefully much greater levels of verticality coming to these properties in the next few years.

• Like 3

• Icetera changed the title to Monroe Ward / Oregon Hill

Wow - This is huge yal. C'mon Jefferson please take notes.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/23/developers-under-contract-to-buy-downtown-ymca-properties/

In other news I think Pinecrest is real close to ground breaking I saw trucks on site week before last. Hard to to tell what was going on but I'll keep.an eye on it - groundbreaking was promised for January 2022 I believe so that tracks.

Also ONE Canal project is looking real nice, much more robust looking then the flimsy matrix project cross 1st. The black is actually black brick/stone and not vinyl, panelized siding that I took from the rendering. 7 stories feels a lot denser than 5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/23/developers-under-contract-to-buy-downtown-ymca-properties/

In other news I think Pinecrest is real close to ground breaking I saw trucks on site week before last. Hard to to tell what was going on but I'll keep.an eye on it - groundbreaking was promised for January 2022 I believe so that tracks.

Also ONE Canal project is looking real nice, much more robust looking then the flimsy matrix project cross 1st. The black is actually black brick/stone and not vinyl, panelized siding that I took from the rendering. 7 stories feels a lot denser than 5.

This is big. I'm so happy to see YMCA not selling their main building as it is a community pillar and quite the perk to have a large YMCA in that area.

Off topic: How did Monroe Ward and Oregon Hill get wrapped up in the same topic post? Seems like two completely different neighborhoods with very different development efforts. 

4 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Off topic: How did Monroe Ward and Oregon Hill get wrapped up in the same topic post? Seems like two completely different neighborhoods with very different development efforts. 

I think I added that mainly because Oregon Hill does not have significant enough activity to warrant its own thread (did similar with Byrd Park) and Monroe is its only neighbor that fits (since VCU is big and Hollywood Cemetery and the River separate it on other sides).  Often there are plenty of complaints from the bovine community there in relation to developments in Monroe blocking their views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

That's fantastic news!  Let's hope that's correct and that this building gets underway. Wow -just imagine: if the Admiral also breaks ground within the next few months, we should see two new tower cranes up over the downtown skyline during much of 2022.

Bruce made an interesting comment about the RBS article:

"This development is one of many now proposed to fill parking lots all over downtown. As I followed the links in the article, I came upon one half-acre lot that sold for roughly $3M. I follow sales prices closely and I don’t believe I’ve seen one at that price before. I’m stunned, but I’m pleased.Richmond has been discovered!"

I wonder what other projects Bruce knows of that haven't yet come to light?

• Like 2