Sign in to follow this  
whw53

Church Hill\Chimborazo

Reviewing the CAR agenda today. A lot of good stuff in there but realized we don't have a thread or threads for the greater Church Hill neighborhood. While the scope of projects in the this area are smaller and certainly shorter than this blog tends to celebrate , it would be unfortunate for the decade to go by, the area transform and for there to be not a peep of that in this forum.  There is a building boom going on over there it is creating some very unique places. Also, the densification of this area has and will increasingly contribute to a more lively Shockoe Bottom and downtown core. I wasn't sure how best to throw all this info out there but I think the best way to break the greater Church Hill area up is into 3 threads - Church Hill\Chimborazo, Union Hill\Fairmount, and North Church Hill\Oakwood.  If we need to consolidate or rename in the future - fine by me! 

Anyway - first post for this Church Hill/Chimbo thread....

3101-3105 East Marshall

Developer is going before CAR board next week to make alterations to a project that will take a duplex and transform it and a neighboring building into 9 residential units and 2 commercial spaces. Thing to note is that this has already been approved by CAR they are just going back to ask for a few stylistic material changes.

marshall2.jpg

marshall1.jpg

Also on the CAR agenda for 8/25 is a project on 25th St at Clay. 'Bilder Row' will renovate 2 structures and build a new multi-use structure on the corner. From renderings there will be room for commercial space at this corner as well as other space for residences and offices. Looks pretty neat and should complement the Liberty Public House\Frontier block nicely. Will have to follow-up on this one for more details but initial renderings are promising. This is projects first run by CAR board so some change is probably expected...

Bilder Row.jpg

• Like 4

Ok found something neat tucked in a council meeting slated for next month. The item is to vacate a remaining street right of way of Anderson St. along with the EW alley in the Chimborazo neighborhood. I've highlighted these on the parcel map below. The parcels around this all belong to a single LLC and it looks like a separate buyer wants this vacated so they can purchase a contiguous tract of land and move forward with a redevelopment. Note that this part of the road network near the intersection of Government road and Crestview is long gone (formerly a longstanding trailer park but looking at historical imagery it has been vacant lot for 15+ years )The 'current' imagery is outdated now too - note this is directly south of the Glenwood Ridge project which has just finished up on the former police stables site.

From the staff report which i attached - 

The applicant is intending a development that would include a mix of multi-family residential units and a corner commercial use. Vacating these rights of way is needed for the development to move forward though the planning and approval process.

anderson3.jpg

highlight.jpg

anderson.jpg

anderson2.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

Here's a photo from Style and the article link written by Ed Slipek.  I want to like it, the balance of the top box makes me nervous looking at it.  When looking at this one - saying to myself -  that's just going to fall off - I know it's not - but that's just going to fall off.

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/rebuilding-blocks/Content?oid=16632912

art43_jsarg2.jpg

42 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Holy Transformers, Batman!! When I look at this building, I keep thinking it will somehow unfold and reveal itself to be Megatron!

that's good!

• Like 1