Greater Church Hill

whw53

4 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I vividly remember an argument about a strip mall in DC being argued as 'historic' and thus needing of preservation against encroaching urbanist development. A strip mall....

I can ALMOST see it if it were Los Angeles or Vegas - where something like that may date from the early 1950s and have some significance in setting a trend of what was to come, especially since LA tended to develop much like we see suburban developments everywhere. And even then, it's a stretch, and a Gumby-esque stretch at that.

27 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Did the neighborhood object? I didn’t get that from the article. 

I implied that in my attempt at satire, if there were no neighborhood objections, apologies.   I'll copy paste that on the next one, thinking it will apply eventually.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While we may be disappointed that the 25th & Jefferson triangle apartment building was scaled back, it's nice to know that this developer has completed a project at 30th & Q and has one wrapping up at 23rd and Jessamine (according to the R-Biz Sense article. So these folks are pouring money into projects in the neighborhood that will increase density. Surprising how many of these "infill" projects are popping up throughout the East End. VERY nice to see this!

BTW- there was a pretty nice looking rendering of how the new apartment building will look - and where it is relative to downtown.  Something else particularly exciting is the fact that this project - AND - the one at the north end of Jackson Ward were both in the R-BizSense today - two new residential projects in different parts of town publicized on the same day. Nice to see so much activity.

10.27R-Project-Snapshot-2416-Jefferson-Aerial.jpg

• Like 2

The project at 715 Mosby went before CAR board again this week - not sure the outcome yet but staff report had recommended approval with conditions. Summary and updated renderings here. Note the addition of a trim and elevated porches, some other minor architectural detail has been added - but looks like staff wants more and the material to change.

715UnionHill1.jpg

715UnionHill2.jpg

715UnionHill3.jpg

715UnionHillSymmnary.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bizsense story highlights a 5 unit infill development called 20th & R (at 20th & R) in Fairmount. Great perspective in here from Center Creek Homes the builder and their attempt to navigate the subdivision and special use process in getting a denser project built and how that intersects with affordability.

“I don’t know how many city officials really appreciate the time value of money,” Magder said. “If we can start a project tomorrow, that’s one thing; if we have to wait six months between when we apply and we can start, we’re racking up insurance costs, tax costs and potentially debt costs, and our capitalizing costs, too. The longer it takes, it’s real cost for us,” he said. “We’re trying to focus on costs that are in our control. It’d be nice if the city focused a little bit more on some of these ancillary things to help us and other developers to try and bring more affordable homes to it.”

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/02/with-five-home-infill-project-builder-finds-affordability-at-a-price/

20andR.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:12 PM, I miss RVA said:

Fantastic!! Love to see these vacant lots starting to be filled.

Wonder if someone will come in and do something similar on the vacant corner lot across 31st Street? (SW corner)

Hard to rely on the imagery in Richmond with so much development but especially in places like Church Hill that are dotted with dozens of 1 or 2 unit infill projects. That lot you mentioned has been developed into 2 attached homes. This is by the same developer that was profiled earlier this week in BizSense - Center Creek Homes.

https://centercreekhomes.com/homes/3019-e-marshall/

3019-3021-e-marshall-15_50384286182_o-scaled.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Hard to rely on the imagery in Richmond with so much development but especially in places like Church Hill that are dotted with dozens of 1 or 2 unit infill projects. That lot you mentioned has been developed into 2 attached homes. This is by the same developer that was profiled earlier this week in BizSense - Center Creek Homes.

https://centercreekhomes.com/homes/3019-e-marshall/

Nice!!! Thanks for clarifying this!

• Icetera changed the title to Church Hill / Chimborazo
On 12/3/2020 at 1:40 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Brilliant! Lowkey wish there was building frontage on Broad too, though I understand they need parking access and the existing lot access point is on the Broad side

So I was actually comparing these renderings with the prior massing concept that was released (shown below). I think the plan is improved in that  there is now an uninterrupted run of houses all the way from the alley right to the sidewalk at Broad St along 21st. So, more consistency along 21st and at least we get something on Broad to frame that corner. True it is a little wonky when extended all the way down  but I think that is important to get that infill in as much as we can and touch it up after - at least wonkiness is interesting.  And yea, there is still a parking lot  in front of the old garage for most of the site's face along Broad ( the applicant will also be renovating that building, although it did not go into detail- that may have to go in front of CAR separately). I think that building could actually be an interesting break in the 'urban wall' along Broad - I know it was marketed as a brewery site at one point. If they could do something with the lot to open it up, maybe make it a plaza or something and screen the adjacent garages then I would actually like to see what that sort of unique amenity could be attracted there. 

I just caught this...Note in the renderings, the little addition to the front is removed so the historic garage facade is restored.

Capture.JPG

21stgarage.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

Just because it is a parking lot now does not mean that it will stay a parking lot.  As vacant land gets scarcer and scarcer in Church Hill, the highest and best use of that land will not be parking.  Broad Street frontage will always have an appeal.  What is a parking lot today could easy be a string of row houses or commercial buildings in a decade.  Big cities are full of quirky developments and buildings.  Incorporating the garage into something else down the road could be one such development in Richmond (the vacant land next to the church screams out for a solid project).

Edited by Wahoo 07
  • Like 3