Greater Church Hill

whw53

6 hours ago, carolina1792 said:

This project is like the 1st cousin of the Transfer Company Food Hall and The Wares Townhomes in Raleigh, lol. The layout is almost exactly alike. 

TheWare048.jpeg

transfer-co-food-hall-parking.jpeg

Ha!  if only ours had such great usage of the potential commercial structure!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Final section of Armstrong project underway - for sale piece to the south of the tract to be subdivided into lots for North Hills at  Armstrong Renaissance. Wow these look really nice. Kudos to Community Builders and partners as they finish this up - all parties did a great job here - i hop this quality transfers to the Creighton court redevelopment. 9 mile will truly be a wonderful gateway to the East End if so- who would've thought that 10 years ago. Now to fill in 9 mile between these redevelopments and the hospital with some modestly sized commercial\residential mixed use buildings should be the goal.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/26/for-sale-homes-rounding-out-armstrong-renaissance-redevelopment/

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

This thread been crickets! I got something neat here to push this one to the top - Conceptual plan filed with the CAR this week for a tract along Marhall St. 

From permit description comment - Demolition of existing buildings; construction of a new, 3-story, mixed-use building.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/984f6965-7f0c-42a7-b767-269cad329bd1

Screenshot 2021-06-30 122345.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, whw53 said:

This thread been crickets! I got something neat here to push this one to the top - Conceptual plan filed with the CAR this week for a tract along Marhall St. 

From permit description comment - Demolition of existing buildings; construction of a new, 3-story, mixed-use building.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/984f6965-7f0c-42a7-b767-269cad329bd1

Screenshot 2021-06-30 122345.jpg

And now .... for the plans! What do y'all think? Nothing fancy, but certainly fresh - sort of reminds me of the 1510 Bainbridge project w\  the addition of commercial space. Renderings were blah there as well but drove by the other day and it is turning out really nice. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5022713&GUID=AB3D52A6-8231-40BF-B99E-F4541D1A9216&Options=&Search=

33EMarshall_interior.jpg

33EMarshall_interior2.jpg

33EMarshall_ext.jpg

33EMarshall_ext2.jpg

33EMarshall_render.jpg

33EMarshall_render2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Will be interesting to see the site plan for this one  - topography will be challenging if the whole site is to be used, I think the former buildings only sat on small portion of this tract. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/19/developer-kleyman-buys-5-acre-tract-on-edge-of-church-hill-for-2-5m/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I thought Gilpin was the next to get the Creighton Court treatment, but looks like Mosby Court is next.  

https://richmond.com/news/local/rrha-signals-next-public-housing-redevelopment-focus-mosby-court-south/article_51b179d2-0159-58ae-ad74-bd7a5741bd10.html

Mosby makes more sense because 1  it's more central and integrated into the rest of the city, as opposed to the other courts being islands. 2 Very close to Mosby is also already gentrifying, if you got rid of Mosby that whole area would pretty quickly turn. And 3 Mosby is actually 3 sections so they could do demo one section at a time, would make things go much smoother and faster.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Mosby makes more sense because 1  it's more central and integrated into the rest of the city, as opposed to the other courts being islands. 2 Very close to Mosby is also already gentrifying, if you got rid of Mosby that whole area would pretty quickly turn. And 3 Mosby is actually 3 sections so they could do demo one section at a time, would make things go much smoother and faster.

Interesting fact included in the article. Resident input will factor into how the city will proceed with redevelopment. I wonder how that might impact any mindset toward significantly increased density?

"Officials said they are focused on, Mosby South, or Lower Mosby, comprising 106 units of public housing on 12 acres. In 2019, a consultant advised RRHA to redevelop the plot four or five times as densely, with a mix of housing types and homes for a variety of household income levels, according to a report produced by Urban Design Associates."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Interesting fact included in the article. Resident input will factor into how the city will proceed with redevelopment. I wonder how that might impact any mindset toward significantly increased density?

"Officials said they are focused on, Mosby South, or Lower Mosby, comprising 106 units of public housing on 12 acres. In 2019, a consultant advised RRHA to redevelop the plot four or five times as densely, with a mix of housing types and homes for a variety of household income levels, according to a report produced by Urban Design Associates."

Yep Mosby south is right across from MLK middle and the Leigh st viaduct. Unlike Creighton that needs RRHA to take the lead redeveloping, commercial developers will be begging to get in on that property which is very light density. I can see 2-3 6 story apt complexes very quickly popping up there. Mosby central and North will look more like Creighton redevelopment.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, whw53 said:

We have more info on an SUP filed along Carrington St last year. Vacant triangle plot along Carrington to give way to 9 units and commercial space in 2 buildings. Project introduced to council at yesterday's meeting, i imagine will come back before end of year for approval. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5180390&GUID=7EA3D653-C4DE-457D-A45E-8BA424B1915C&Options=&Search=

JonesCorner.jpg

GREAT corner "cap" infill project for this neighborhood.  I hope that where ever there are empty corners like this in greater Church Hill/the East End or on the Northside, we'll see plenty more of these kinds of projects popping up. There are PLENTY of infill prospects in those parts of town. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A version of this guy (see BizSense link) eked thru and was adopted by City Council this evening (as it needed an SUP). Christ, check all those letter's of opposition in the attachments on the legistar link to such a puny but attractive infill project ...they should just rename Church Hill to NIMBY heights. I want buildings like this all over the greater church hill grid, liven it up a bit, area is rich architecturally but gosh such a bore from a commercial standpoint.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/04/building-rehab-mixed-use-expansion-to-fill-out-corner-property-in-church-hill/

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5068855&GUID=9F4D99BC-D326-4A69-B675-436C006381CA&Options=&Search=

• Like 4

Church Hill proper and North Church Hill must be on different water lines because the initial feedback to another new project introduced to city council earlier this week could not be more different. There's gotta be like 15 support letters here for what will be a pretty dense project given the lot size.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5378054&GUID=4658B8F1-0329-42B8-BE8D-55362F0D07D4&Options=&Search=

Ok, this ones off 29th street across from the back side of Good Shepherd Baptist. The site now is taken up by parking and a one level medical office building. SUP  is "...for the purpose of up to eight single-family dwellings and up to four two-family dwellings.."

More detail is included in the applicant's report but alas the doc titled 'plans and survey' is broken which would probably have rendering, site plan for us....

From applicant's report - 

"The development would include the construction of 8 single-family attached dwellings and four two-family attached dwellings. 6 single-family attached dwellings, arranged as pairs, would front on R Street. The remaining two single family dwellings and the four two-family dwellings would also be arranged in pairs and would front on N 29th Street. The 6 single-family attached dwellings located along R Street would be three stories in height and of a modern design."

N_29thSUP.png

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, whw53 said:

And here's the rendering for the above. This is some serious density for that corner lot in an otherwise low-slung area. Planning staff has recommended approval of the SUP needed to facilitate this project.

29th_render.png

Holy wow! This is fantastic! Great density for this part of the East End. Seems like N. 29th and N. 31st streets both have been bullseyes for developers bringing some really good infill or replacement projects that are bringing some significant density to Greater Church Hill. So glad to see this!

Construction fence went up over the past week next to the Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital. I heard they are having a groundbreaking ceremony next Tuesday. At one point, that site was planned to be a MOB. No luck finding renderings though. 

Bon Secours.jpg

Edited by CH_BP93
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1