Greater Church Hill

whw53

25 minutes ago, CH_BP93 said:

Construction fence went up over the past week next to the Bon Secours Richmond Community Hospital. I heard they are having a groundbreaking ceremony next Tuesday. At one point, that site was planned to be a MOB. No luck finding renderings though. 

Bon Secours.jpg

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. Where is this and are there any articles relevant to it? Is Bon Secours opening something in Churchill?!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. Where is this and are there any articles relevant to it? Is Bon Secours opening something in Churchill?!

The only thing I found was from the RTD from July of last year that said it was an expansion that was tied into the Washington commanders training camp deal. 

Edited by Downtowner
  • Like 1

It's a one or 2 story medical office building. It's been a long time coming - i think was announced in 2016. 

Here's an  article from lasdt fall  on the  lack of progress (Richmond Free Press)

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2021/sep/02/promises-bon-secours-new-medical-office-buildings-/

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

The new developments that are revitalizing Union Hill are bringing some pretty cool tenants to the neighborhood - one of which definitely will be a real treat for local residents!

From Richmond BisSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/02/28/spotty-dog-ice-cream-co-finds-its-sweet-spot-in-union-hill-mixed-use-building/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone, I just came across this forum and was wondering if anyone had more details on this project? Do you think we will see plans for it anytime soon?  https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/19/developer-kleyman-buys-5-acre-tract-on-edge-of-church-hill-for-2-5m/

I'm really excited about it. I live close by and I feel like there is so much waisted space in that area. I want to see more density and retail near my home. I'm hoping it looks better than the Glenwood Ridge apartments. I'd also like to see Marshall St or Clay St connect to Glennwood Ave, but I realize that might be difficult. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Jawless said:

Hey Everyone, I just came across this forum and was wondering if anyone had more details on this project? Do you think we will see plans for it anytime soon?  https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/19/developer-kleyman-buys-5-acre-tract-on-edge-of-church-hill-for-2-5m/

I'm really excited about it. I live close by and I feel like there is so much waisted space in that area. I want to see more density and retail near my home. I'm hoping it looks better than the Glenwood Ridge apartments. I'd also like to see Marshall St or Clay St connect to Glennwood Ave, but I realize that might be difficult. 

I hope so. Kleyman's got his hand full at the moment - at least 3 POD's pending under his outfit that we know of. Apartment building on Bainbridge and 2 projects along Government Road. I think we will see these break ground first. That tract is going to take some study - I'd love to see the entire site developed and a street grid connected thru it but  not sure if feasible - the now demo-ed apartments that sat on the site previously only occupied a small portion adjoining Marshall. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

I hope so. Kleyman's got his hand full at the moment - at least 3 POD's pending under his outfit that we know of. Apartment building on Bainbridge and 2 projects along Government Road. I think we will see these break ground first. That tract is going to take some study - I'd love to see the entire site developed and a street grid connected thru it but  not sure if feasible - the now demo-ed apartments that sat on the site previously only occupied a small portion adjoining Marshall. 

Thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the plan on the corner Government and Glennwood. I'm hoping they start on that soon. Is that 2 projects or is there another project on Government I'm not familiar with? 

1 hour ago, Jawless said:

Thanks for the response. I'm familiar with the plan on the corner Government and Glennwood. I'm hoping they start on that soon. Is that 2 projects or is there another project on Government I'm not familiar with? 

Another POD has been filed across the street from that site by Kleyman. Media has not picked up on that - it will be a smaller multifamily project. 38 units if i remember correctly ...let me find the post here.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:31 PM, whw53 said:

Couple new items to track -

1. POD filed 11\02 - Construction of a new three-story structure with 9 first-floor tourist homes and 22 multi-family units. at 1619 N 28th St.https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/0e8b78ba-8513-4bbf-9828-95ab85311b19
  2. SUP filed 12\09 - authorize a multi-family dwelling - landholder, consultancy is same as the 3800 govt road project which was announced earlier in the year. I imagine developer will be Kleyman here as well. https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/0931cdc7-b5d1-4917-8ac0-d31bcaf1fdb6?tab=moreinfo . More info tab lists 38 units. 

1619N28th.jpg

4000GovtRd.jpg

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Another POD has been filed across the street from that site by Kleyman. Media has not picked up on that - it will be a smaller multifamily project. 38 units if i remember correctly ...let me find the post here.

Oh nice! That's very exciting. I didn't know about that one. Thank you for all of the info.

I'm hoping that someone will eventually build up this block between Glenwood and M street. I feel like it has the most potential. 

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 12.47.04 PM.png

• Like 1

More good news for the northern part of Church Hill - Habitat for Humanity is stepping up to the plate with two rental homes as part of their pilot program to help address the shortage of affordable housing in the city. It's a seemingly 'small' first step - yet it's really a huge first step. 

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/600-for-a-3-bedroom-habitat-for-humanity-unveils-pilot-program/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=socialflow

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

The Demolition of Creighton Court is set to begin in May.

"“Currently, the buildings are being abated and prepared for demolition, which will occur from May until October of 2022,” said Angela Fountain, the housing authority’s spokesperson, in an email. “Demolition will soon be followed by construction of new infrastructure and the first 68 units of new, affordable housing, which are anticipated to open in the spring of 2024.”

I drove down Nine Mile the other day and was surprised by the streetscape upgrades.

https://richmond.com/news/local/creighton-court-redevelopment-set-to-begin-with-first-phase-of-demolition-slated-for-may/article_895b663e-e68a-5af5-8e11-5bc6620230c1.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Let's do Gilpin next.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Church Hill-based caterer "Salt and Vinegar" is moving into retail space in the new mixed-use development at 30th and Q streets. The new building looks great (very "Northeastern U.S." in its appearance) - and it's awesome to see these developments really taking hold in the older neighborhoods. Having apartments with ground-floor businesses sprouting up all over the East End is really going to transform this part of the city.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/06/09/soul-n-vinegar-relocating-to-church-hill-mixed-use-development/

soul1-scaled.jpg