Greater Church Hill

whw53

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/10/26/union-hill-infill-project-would-add-13-apartments-potential-restaurant/

Another infill project.  Hopefully the restaurant happens.  I love the idea of Richmond having neighborhoods with pedestrian friendly amenities.

Welp - we got an answer to the question of why it was described as a 4-story building but the renderings show three: the CAR pushed the developer to scale it back so that it would fit with the "scale" and "character" of the other buildings in the neighborhood. image.png.988d6a91c2b8b2ec3240fdfcbff3c2ff.png 

Oh well - at least the developer was able to simply "move" the fourth floor to a different location over the existing structure (at the recommendation of the CAR, believe it or not) and retain 100% of the original density proposed.

Glad to see this moving forward.

Screenshot (2372).png

Screenshot (2373).png

To putting it into perspective, note the location: just a block away from more new infill in Union Hill. The area is really starting to rev up with developments! NOTE: the new Tulip Street development is highlighted in YELLOW.

RBS reported on this other new development back in May. I can't recall if we had it here in the forums. Here's the story.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/25/10-home-infill-project-mixed-use-building-planned-for-carrington-street/

Screenshot (2374).png

Carrington1-2048x1536.jpg

Carrington2-2048x1536.jpg

CarringtonTraylorMU.jpg

Carrington3.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Agree in an ideal world, but its not expansive and it's off street hidden behind the building. That's about as good as you can ask for on a development that's not downtown or on a city block.

Agreed. Kleyman is a small developer and the added cost of integrated/structured parking would probably round-file this project right from the get-go.  Particularly given the location, I'd rather have the development and the density with surface parking hidden than not have the project at all, especially considering there's nothing but vacant land, air and opportunity sitting on those two parcels at the moment.

50 minutes ago, whw53 said:

@ancientcarpenterhe's on the realty side - not the development side. He lives in the neighborhood.

Same question: How is it possible for one guy/company to get almost every lot under their line of work?

I just assumed there was some city sanctioned deal with him for lower fees... or maybe he's just extremely focused on CH?

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Same question: How is it possible for one guy/company to get almost every lot under their line of work?

I just assumed there was some city sanctioned deal with him for lower fees... or maybe he's just extremely focused on CH?

Maybe since he lives there, he's jumping in first on every opportunity that comes along. Certainly good for his business! 

• Like 1

Really cool infill development on N. 28th Street, just north of Nine Mile Road - a triangular 3-story apartment building will bring 31 units (nine of which would be "tourist homes") to this parcel, about two-thirds of which is vacant. A nifty bit of infill with some nice density.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/17/east-end-bus-garage-makes-way-for-31-apartments-off-nine-mile-road/

NineMileApts1.jpg

NineMileApts2.jpg

NineMileApts3.jpg

Screenshot (2482).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

More redevelopment and density coming to Chimborazo - this time courtesy of our good friend Mr. Louis Salomonsky (who developed the Icon in Scott's Addition, is developing the Bakery Lofts in Shockoe Bottom and has proposed a 10-story apartment building at Gaskins and Patterson in the West End).

Salomonsky is looking to build a 70-unit addition to the Bacon Retirement Community at 815 N. 35th Street in Chimborazo. The project will include eight townhomes, three detached houses and a three-story add-on to the current retirement community building (the former Bacon school). Once complete, Bacon will boast a total of 129 income-based housing units for seniors. VERY MUCH needed, to say the least!

Oh - what's more, this project is (as the crow flies) about seven blocks north of Daniil Kleyman's 100-unit apartment development at Glenwood Ave and Government Road.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/23/70-unit-addition-new-homes-planned-as-part-of-senior-apartments-renovation-near-church-hill/

Bacon1.jpg

Screenshot (2487).png

• Like 4

10 hours ago, whw53 said:

I used to live in Jefferson Townhouse back in the day (which is on the opposite corner and next to the MLK Bridge). Many of us were friends with the people in that part of the projects. Lots of mostly good memories there, but I completely understand why it needs to be redeveloped. This is a great move in improving the neighborhood.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This might have slipped under our radar screens - RBS reporting that the Virginia Credit Union is opening a fourth city location - this time at The Market @ 25th - part of the Flats @ 25th - at 2420 Fairmont Avenue in Church Hill. This new location will join VACU branches in Carytown, Scott's Addition and the Arts District as the credit union continues opening new locations within the city limits. 

NOW - when are they going to open a branch in Manchester? That's GOT to be teed up for the next location, no?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/02/09/next-stop-in-virginia-credit-unions-city-expansion-plan-church-hill/

vacufairmount1-700x525.jpg

Screenshot (3013).png

Screenshot (3014).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Uninspiring. Could mistake those renderings for a Noodles & Co. and Mattress Firm.

I'm usually the least critical of the design of these developments but I'm going to have to agree with this. The absolute worst part is indeed that one story part facing the street. Should've been 2 stories like everything else around there.

• Like 2