Greater Church Hill

whw53

21 minutes ago, plain said:

Yes, let me clarify that: I'm not a fan of the existing buildings either lmao 

My guess is that it's cheaper to keep 'em and renovate them than to raze them and build all-new construction. No idea if 33rd and Marshall is in any kind of designed historic district (which would possibly incentivize adaptive reuse of the existing structure to get the historic tax credits) - but regardless, I get the feeling the developer isn't uber deep-pocketed and is going as "on the cheap" as is possible.

• 2 months later...

On 8/21/2023 at 7:38 PM, rjp212 said:

I saw a FB post that this going to be a Midas. Womp womp. 

image.thumb.png.70eff4148b7b6553f49b330bcad66035.png

UPDATE: Here's today's RBS's reporting. Man - this is a real step-down IMNSHO. Very disappointing. Those townhouses would have made SUCH a difference there. As Chef Ramsay says - what a shame.

From today's Richmond BisSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/08/23/long-dormant-church-hill-auto-shop-site-under-contract-for-new-midas-location/

3.10R-frederick4.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Sad 1

I may be an outlier but this is completely fine with me. Cities should be mixed use, that means shops and businesses along with renters and homeowners. 

We can't just have our city be full of renters/homeowners with nowhere to get actual services. Residents shouldn't have to travel out of the city and into the counties to get a simple oil change. Not everything has to be a dense apartment, in my view. 

This will help avoid RVA city becoming an upper class playground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

I'll third that.

Anyone ever been to Citi Field or old Shea Stadium? Urban environment, but like a dozen muffler places within a 1-mile radius. It happens.

Yuppp. Willets Point. The NYC government has had a longstanding goal of redeveloping that whole area and it's been pretty touch and go for well over 2 decades now

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 9:35 AM, I miss RVA said:

UPDATE: Here's today's RBS's reporting. Man - this is a real step-down IMNSHO. Very disappointing. Those townhouses would have made SUCH a difference there. As Chef Ramsay says - what a shame.

From today's Richmond BisSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/08/23/long-dormant-church-hill-auto-shop-site-under-contract-for-new-midas-location/

3.10R-frederick4.jpg

FURTHER UPDATE

The developer planning the new Midas shop at the corner of 21st and E. Broad has completed the purchase of the property for $1.6 M, according to RBS. The sale closed last week. The developer hopes to have the shop up and running and open for business by July 1 of next year.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11/28/midas-church-hill-spot-revving-up-with-1-6m-property-purchase/

MidasCH1.jpg

MidasCHsitePlan.png

Screenshot (3463).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

<Tuesday 1\16 @ 6pm> SUP needed for the townhome project at 901-909 N 36th St in the Chimborazo area. 10 homes - 40 bedrooms including ground floor bedrooms meant to cater to aging family members. Developer is worried about the status of this project as it enters into another Planning Commission meeting this Tuesday 1\16.  The legacy R-5 zoning district which was mapped out here in the 1970's does not allow for attached housing. . More info at the links and please consider either sending an email to [email protected] (reference ORD 2023.346) or mark the date for 1\16. I will be attending as long as the meeting holds with the weather to offer up some comments and i would love to have a good turnout here. Note if you can not make in person you can tune in virtually at 6pm using this link - http://tinyurl.com/CPC-Jan-16-2024 We have a real opportunity here to push more housing across the finish line . 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

<Tuesday 1\16 @ 6pm> SUP needed for the townhome project at 901-909 N 36th St in the Chimborazo area. 10 homes - 40 bedrooms including ground floor bedrooms meant to cater to aging family members. Developer is worried about the status of this project as it enters into another Planning Commission meeting this Tuesday 1\16.  The legacy R-5 zoning district which was mapped out here in the 1970's does not allow for attached housing. . More info at the links and please consider either sending an email to [email protected] (reference ORD 2023.346) or mark the date for 1\16. I will be attending as long as the meeting holds with the weather to offer up some comments and i would love to have a good turnout here. Note if you can not make in person you can tune in virtually at 6pm using this link - http://tinyurl.com/CPC-Jan-16-2024 We have a real opportunity here to push more housing across the finish line . 

The YIMBY folks are also involved, yes?  Definitely hoping this project gets approved. I notice that there appears to be overwhelming support from residents, property owners and businesses in the neighborhood - so hopefully that will bode well for a unanimous thumbs-up from the Planning Commission. Looks like small opposition isn't opposed to the development itself - rather details about the project, such as number of units, design, etc.

Go get 'em @whw53!!! Gotta do everything possible to bring as much new housing (and density) to the city as possible.

Edited by I miss RVA

• 2 weeks later...

Nice infill project planned for Union Hill. According to Jonathan Spiers' reporting in today's RBS,  some 20 townhomes -- 16 of which would be split along Venable and Burton streets (west of 22nd Street) behind Great Hope Baptist Church - and the remaining four on the southwest corner of 22nd and Burton. The plans are still before the CAR, which is awaiting additional information from the developer, UrbanCore Construction. This looks like a great infill for this part of Union Hill - and I'm hopeful we'll get movement on this and see it moving forward.

NOTE: As the article points out in its caption to the rendering from the developer, Venable Street is incorrectly labeled in the rendering as N. 22nd Street.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/26/20-home-infill-proposed-beside-union-hill-church/

VenableChurchTHs5.jpg

VenableChurchTHs1.jpg

VenableChurchTHs2.jpg

VenableChurchTHs3-300x277.jpg

Screenshot (3895).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS that Virginia Supportive Housing have completed the much needed renovation and conversion of the former Seven Hills Health Care Center nursing home into the 86-unit Cool Lane Commons income-based apartment complex. The property straddles the city/Henrico County line just southeast of the I-64/Mechanicsville Turnpike interchange. The building also houses the VSH's headquarters, which moved to the complex from Forest Park in western Henrico. Certificate of occupancy was awarded in January and over the past month 32 of the units are already filled with eight more tenants in the process of moving in. The building has 80 one-bedroom units and six studio apartments.

Unquestionably, this is a fantastic project that is GREATLY needed. Very glad to see this development come to fruition and I hope more such developments will be on the way soon for folks in need.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/03/housing-nonprofit-completes-86-unit-cool-lane-commons-project/

CoolLaneCommons2.jpg

Screenshot (4468).png

• Like 3

Jonathan Spiers has reporting in today's RBS covering the kickoff of the long-awaited redevelopment of Creighton Court.

While construction on Phase I, which will contain 68 units, has been underway since December, the official ceremony was held yesterday.  Glad to see things finally moving forward on this front.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/05/developers-mark-start-of-construction-for-300m-creighton-court-transformation/

Creighton1.jpg

Creighton2.jpg

Creighton-Phases.jpg

Screenshot (4496).png

• Like 2

18 hours ago, eandslee said:

Next up: hopefully, Mosby and Gilpin Courts, no?  Couldn’t remember if these neighborhoods were going to get the same treatment. 

Part of Mosby is basically getting surrounded by nice newer development. At least Mosby South (central and North not so much) so I wonder if they move on that. Gilpin is a problem that needs solving but it's also huge. Biggest and oldest housing project in the country outside of NYC .

On a side note I recently rode my bike through the newer homes they built in the former Dove court. Disappointing while obviously newer and nicer, the vibe of the development was still very much "public housing." And I'm not talking people there, purely the design. Cheap suburban feel w no landscaping. They all had little driveways but no garages, and the trash cans on them, just trashcans visible everywhere. I get low income housing is not going to have a garage but why build a driveway? There was plenty of street parking. And design the area with alleys so trash cans or off street parking can go behind and out of view. Little very solvable things just made it look like super cheap. Hope they do better for whatever comes next.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 3

On 4/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, 123fakestreet said:

Part of Mosby is basically getting surrounded by nice newer development. At least Mosby South (central and North not so much) so I wonder if they move on that. Gilpin is a problem that needs solving but it's also huge. Biggest and oldest housing project in the country outside of NYC .

On a side note I recently rode my bike through the newer homes they built in the former Dove court. Disappointing while obviously newer and nicer, the vibe of the development was still very much "public housing." And I'm not talking people there, purely the design. Cheap suburban feel w no landscaping. They all had little driveways but no garages, and the trash cans on them, just trashcans visible everywhere. I get low income housing is not going to have a garage but why build a driveway? There was plenty of street parking. And design the area with alleys so trash cans or off street parking can go behind and out of view. Little very solvable things just made it look like super cheap. Hope they do better for whatever comes next.

Just a small correction: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles still has at least one project each that has more units than Gilpin. 

I agree about the redevelopment. If anything, they should make some kind of street grid with dense mixed-income housing, with mixed housing types (at least 3 story row homes along with multistory mixed use buildings). Something to make it look and feel like an actual neighborhood (or integrated into the existing one) instead of just another housing development.

EDIT: Speaking of the former Dove Court, what happened to the homes that was supposed to be built just to the west of there, where the old school or whatever was? Did that project get stalled or something?

Edited by plain
  • Like 1