whw53

43 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Saw this on RBS this afternoon.  The decision Council makes on this could have HUGE implications on development in the area.  I really hope it passes.  Anyone heard any information on whether or not it passed?

The staff report recommended approval to the Planning Commission. Additionally the Shockoe Partnership filed a letter of support. I didn't see any documented opposition to this rezoning so I think it will pass and be sent back to Council for a vote later in the month- city should have its agenda with the results updated by tomorrow. 

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, whw53 said:

The staff report recommended approval to the Planning Commission. Additionally the Shockoe Partnership filed a letter of support. I didn't see any documented opposition to this rezoning so I think it will pass and be sent back to Council for a vote later in the month- city should have its agenda with the results updated by tomorrow. 

Thanks for the report.  It's good to hear that this one doesn't appear to be getting any major opposition.  Thank goodness...Finally!

FANTASTIC!! This is a real home run. Hopefully, since the developers are Louis Salmonsky and Historic Housing - that will carry a lot of weight and garner unilateral support. These folks are pros - and since they're already building the 12-story residential building in Scott's, hopefully that will send this through the channels quickly and we can see this building get underway sooner rather than later.

Wow - what a Friday gift, whw53!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Happy Friday folks. I saw y'all getting all political in the coffee house so figured i better put this out now as a distraction lol.....Anyway - Weimans Bakery Plan of Development dropped today for the lot at 127 N 17th St.  From the plan application comment>>

12-story multi-family (145 units) and two-story commercial building, with precast concrete parking deck (85 spaces)

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/de5f9385-c2d7-49f4-807d-8df8c186968d

Developer is Louis Salmonsky with Historc Housing - same group working on the 12 story in Scott's.

Slow week otherwise - this makes up for it and then some. Woohoo!

Wow!  12 stories in Shockoe Bottom?!?  Is there anything close to 12 stories in the bottom now?  Hard to build anything that tall there.  I can see the NIMBYs coming out in full force saying that the 12-story building will block the views of the city from Libby Hill!  LOL!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  12 stories in Shockoe Bottom?!?  Is there anything close to 12 stories in the bottom now?  Hard to build anything that tall there.  I can see the NIMBYs coming out in full force saying that the 12-story building will block the views of the city from Libby Hill!  LOL!

I'm sure they will. The City needs to show some backbone and tell the NIMBYs to F off ... and support this project.

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Is there anything close to 12 stories in the bottom now?

This is a 50% increase on the next closest, the 8 story Overview at The Lofts at Canal Walk built in 2017 (19th and E. Main).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Icetera said:

This is a 50% increase on the next closest, the 8 story Overview at The Lofts at Canal Walk built in 2017 (19th and E. Main).

That's what I thought.  I wish the developers good luck!  I sure hope it comes to pass, but for some reason something in the back of my mind is nagging me saying that it won't.   Maybe if they do it quietly without much fanfare they'll be able to pull it off.  So, for now on...sssshhhhhh.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I sure hope it comes to pass, but for some reason something in the back of my mind is nagging me saying that it won't.   Maybe if they do it quietly without much fanfare they'll be able to pull it off.  So, for now on...sssshhhhhh.

Yep - your mind is nagging you for the same reason mine is - Richmond's track record of the city absolutely caving to these NIMBY nutjobs.

• Like 2

If conforms to zoning I dont think there will be grounds or forum for neighbors to hold this up. Besides isnt the libby hill viewshed nimbyism mostly relate to the river? dont tell me it also applies to views of tall buildings...the irony.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Besides isnt the libby hill viewshed nimbyism mostly relate to the river? dont tell me it also applies to views of tall buildings...the irony.

LOL!  You're right - Libby Hill NIMBYism is mostly related to the river and the view that gave Richmond its name; however, many people love the view of the city from Libby Hill (virtually the opposite direction from the river bend that gave Richmond its name).  They might be upset if a tall building in Shockoe Bottom were to block their view!  I'm joking a little bit when I say that, mostly because the location on 17th Street is far from Libby Hill and probably wouldn't block much of the view.  However, I never underestimate the NIMBYs.  The NIMBYs in the area have blocked and shortened condo towers proposed near Libby Hill before due to their height and the possibility of them blocking 1/100 of the view of the city/river (Pear St?).   Just makes me nervous. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

If conforms to zoning I dont think there will be grounds or forum for neighbors to hold this up. Besides isnt the libby hill viewshed nimbyism mostly relate to the river? dont tell me it also applies to views of tall buildings...the irony.

Is the zoning for this location TOD-1? If so - then do not the developers have the right to built up to max height of the zoning - in this case 12 stories? The NIMBs can jump in the river, tbh.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, eandslee said:

however, many people love the view of the city from Libby Hill (virtually the opposite direction from the river bend that gave Richmond its name).  They might be upset if a tall building in Shockoe Bottom were to block their view!

Oregon Hill is guilty of exactly this.  I expect a fight with the BroStar tower.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Icetera said:

Oregon Hill is guilty of exactly this.  I expect a fight with the BroStar tower.

Hopefully, unlike the condo developers who were kiboshed by the Libby Hill NIMBYs - I would hope that CoStar has enough financial muscle to flex that the City will toe the line with them and ignore the rabble in the peanut gallery.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2021 at 7:03 AM, eandslee said:

Further update:  It was officially approved by the Planning Commission (like whw53 said) and will be on the consent agenda during the 10 May City Council Meeting. This is great news and now things can finally move forward on this project.  I’m interested in what this development might look like and I want to know exactly what might be included:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/04/planning-commission-recommends-rezonings-of-caravatis-loving-sites/

The Loving rezoning described here was adopted into the zoning map by City Council this evening. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4910777&GUID=D82C4670-9A3D-424C-B957-084CA59B4C8E&Options=&Search=

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Not a bad design.  I’m just still a little cloudy as to what this will really be.  Sounds like Louis Salmonsky is also still toying with some ideas.  Also, no mention of any groundbreaking date. So we’ll see if this actually happens. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That’s it!!

Ahh, yes, the architect for children block set. The other option was,  hey,  unroll those blue prints from the basement table,  blow off the dust, cough, yep,  that's the one, draw it up in auto cad? No,  just send it to the the city as is, and done.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3