whw53

On 2/19/2021 at 2:45 PM, whw53 said:

Another private sector driven rezoning filed this week in the Bottom - application would take these 3 properties at 22nd & Main to urban B-5 district.  I believe this to decouple the parking arrangements in order to build on that lot. Note B-5 has a height limit of 5 or 6 stories.

RZON2126emAIN_PERMIT.jpg

RZON2126emAIN_PARCEL.jpg

RZON2126emAIN_AERIAL.jpg

The rezoning described here was formally INTRODUCED to City Council yesterday. It will be taken up by the Planning Commission at its June 21st meeting. 

Applicant report and other materials can be found here - in the snip below we get a confirmation that the property owner plans to build new.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4964652&GUID=4D717B28-FCA2-4DA7-B40F-723D20B7020A&Options=&Search=

Honestly I am starting to have a hard time keeping track of all these rezonings - I had completely forgot about this one. If it is alright with you all I may add these rezonings that hint at redevelopment to the dev map so we can keep track of them. I think the Loving's site is on there but we've had probably 5 or 6 new sites this year being primed for redevelopment in the planning process like this one but a plan of development has not been revealed yet.

Poythress_appSnip.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, whw53 said:

The rezoning described here was formally INTRODUCED to City Council yesterday. It will be taken up by the Planning Commission at its June 21st meeting. 

Applicant report and other materials can be found here - in the snip below we get a confirmation that the property owner plans to build new.

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4964652&GUID=4D717B28-FCA2-4DA7-B40F-723D20B7020A&Options=&Search=

Honestly I am starting to have a hard time keeping track of all these rezonings - I had completely forgot about this one. If it is alright with you all I may add these rezonings that hint at redevelopment to the dev map so we can keep track of them. I think the Loving's site is on there but we've had probably 5 or 6 new sites this year being primed for redevelopment in the planning process like this one but a plan of development has not been revealed yet.

whw53 - excellent idea -- the rezonings have been coming in really hot and heavy the last couple of months - and I suspect until entire swaths of the city are fully upzoned, this is going to continue happening. Having a zoning tracker, whether as part of the overall dev map or as a stand-alone, I think, now is a must.

15 hours ago, whw53 said:

The conditional rezoning here is to be amended and continued for consideration to the Council meeting on June 14th. Only 1 for 3 tonight - that's ok, let's get them in June!

Is there any indication what the roadblock is that's requiring amendments? I'm curious why this wasn't a slam dunk. Does anyone else fear some form of NIMBY involvement is at play?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yay height but I am just not digging their designs. All of the key classical elements are there but the dimensions always seem off to me. 

It looks like something that would have been built in the 90's on a beach in Florida...not impressed. There are almost infinite ways to improve this design. 

That said, I would love a building of this size to be built at that location.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yay height but I am just not digging their designs. All of the key classical elements are there but the dimensions always seem off to me. 

I hear ya, Coupe. Idk - maybe it's just me, but I actually like it. Not just because it's 12 stories. Could it have been designed better? Of course! Still - I'm okay with it.

I DO agree though that something about the dimensions seem a tad off to me too - I was looking at the pic a few minutes ago before reading your post and I couldn't wrap my head around what didn't seem 100% right. I think we might be seeing the same thing. What are you seeing that looks off to you?

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, I miss RVA said:

I hear ya, Coupe. Idk - maybe it's just me, but I actually like it. Not just because it's 12 stories. Could it have been designed better? Of course! Still - I'm okay with it.

I DO agree though that something about the dimensions seem a tad off to me too - I was looking at the pic a few minutes ago before reading your post and I couldn't wrap my head around what didn't seem 100% right. I think we might be seeing the same thing. What are you seeing that looks off to you?

I'm with you. I think I'm just happy it's not a giant rectangle with stereotypical design like we see nowadays. Looks like it is built to last to me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I'm with you. I think I'm just happy it's not a giant rectangle with stereotypical design like we see nowadays. Looks like it is built to last to me. 

Same folks who are building the 12-story building in Scott's Addition (part of the Summit project) are building this one. I like the design of both buildings.

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2021 at 2:27 PM, whw53 said:

Rezoning filed this week would take the plot of land at intersection of Cary & Pear st from industrial to central business zoning (B-5). Hasn't there been proposals on this site before? B-5 has a height limit of 5 stories.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/404ae7c4-2dd0-49b7-a248-f6718178da4e

PearSt_aerial.jpg

PearSt_parcel.jpg

Rezoning is before Planning Commission &  City Council next month - from the Applicant's Report- 

Potential development concepts include the redevelopment of the Property with approximately 10 high quality single-family attached dwellings or with a five-story multi-family residential building including approximately 40 dwelling units. Under any eventual B-5 development scenario, the district includes “form-based” requirements, such as building façade fenestration, maximum setbacks, minimum and maximum heights and restrictions on the location of parking areas. These criteria would address any concerns over the new development’s design and character...

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5150639&GUID=155DFD9B-1385-402E-A2B2-871BCFE6E49D&Options=&Search=

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking building - I'm glad they went with this as opposed to the 10 or so townhomes.  Now if we can get some renderings, plans, any updates for the Loving  and Poythress sites...

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2

SWEET looking building. Here's hoping there's little to no NIMBY pushback - what's to push back? I don't see the same issue they would have had with views being blocked (and if I remember the history of the previous fight, even the NIMBYs at the time indicated they had no problem with a building this size -they just didn't want 12 or 13 stories blocking the view.

Here's hoping (and praying) this one gets through with no problem. It's a perfect building for that site.

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Godspeed to the developers. I can already hear the NIMBYs dusting off their gloves from the One Shiplock square off

It’s as though the NIMBYs have cursed this plot of land.  They didn’t want 10-12 stories last time, maybe five stories will be too much for them this time…you never can predict these folks.  I’ll believe this will go up when they actually attach the capstone!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, eandslee said:

It’s as though the NIMBYs have cursed this plot of land.  They didn’t want 10-12 stories last time, maybe five stories will be too much for them this time…you never can predict these folks.  I’ll believe this will go up when they actually attach the capstone!

They probably complain when the grass grows too tall on that vacant plot, too!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, rjp212 said:

I like it!

9923250E-8FF9-47C0-9496-33E8CF121236.jpeg

Great idea, always envisioned the plot between dock st and cary st filled with high density development that doesn’t obstruct views (cough cough) and provide parking in developments that would replace the current parking, maybes building heights between 5 & 8 stories, i say 12 dont attack me lol 

• Like 1