whw53

12 hours ago, Jordon said:

Great idea, always envisioned the plot between dock st and cary st filled with high density development that doesn’t obstruct views (cough cough) and provide parking in developments that would replace the current parking, maybes building heights between 5 & 8 stories, i say 12 dont attack me lol 

As much as I was really disappointed when the original project got torpedoed, I'm very satisfied with the current iteration. It looks stunning - the building is a fantastic fit for the area. It's really well designed and thought out - and quite frankly the NIMBYs can all (as Elton John once sang) "take themselves a blue canoe" as far as I'm concerned (let's see how many of you actually get THAT reference - AND NO GOOGLING!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Icetera said:

It may be nothing but there is a land surveyor from Timmons Group on site at 1801 E. Main St.

Oh wow - very interesting, Ice!

Did this ever get upzoned to TOD-1? I recall is was "pending" at one point - did it get tabled? Or did it eventually go through? 

If memory serves, the developer wants to put an 11-story building there, yes?

15 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh wow - very interesting, Ice!

Did this ever get upzoned to TOD-1? I recall is was "pending" at one point - did it get tabled? Or did it eventually go through? 

If memory serves, the developer wants to put an 11-story building there, yes?

Yes, the zoning was approved a while back.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Yes, the zoning was approved a while back.

11 stories is going to popping there!  Probably the tallest structure in that area!  Sweet!  I had forgotten about this one.  Wow...there's just so much to keep up with these days; it's hard to keep it all straight!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

11 stories is going to popping there!  Probably the tallest structure in that area!  Sweet!  I had forgotten about this one.  Wow...there's just so much to keep up with these days; it's hard to keep it all straight!

Technically the Bakery Lofts (17th and Franklin) at 12 stories would be the tallest building in the Bottom. This one at 18th and Main would be close, though.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Icetera said:

There is a large auger drilling into the pavement on site now, properly for soil samples.

Thanks for the report!  A very good sign!  This is all very exciting right before we all take a small break for Christmas and New Year's Day.  What a gift we've been given this year already!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

THAT's very interesting. What are the chances this may be a precursor to an announcement of an 11-story residential building for that corner?

From your keyboard to god's eyes. ;)

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Can one of you link to which project they are breaking ground on now?

We dont have a specific plan filed. We only know about the scope of a potential forthcoming project here based on hints that were included in the rezoning application from the spring. Most rezoning applications don't let on as much. This one seemed further along in the project conception.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/18/planning-commission-backs-projects-south-of-the-river-and-in-shockoe-bottom/

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4889490&GUID=C30344A2-2BBC-41F9-B988-12828F235106&Options=&Search=

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Child2021 said:

Looks like im back again with another piece from the Times-Dispatch, this time it's information about the National Slave Museam in Shockoe Bottom. 
A foundation for a national slave history museum in Richmond preparing to hire director to get project strated | Richmond Local News | richmond.com

Jist of it for those of us paywalled? (somehow RTD found a way around incognito mode as well)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Icetera said:

Looks like the land changed hands last month in preperation.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/01/11/land-deals-lay-groundwork-for-3-multifamily-developments/

And downtown, local developer Jeremy Connell closed Dec. 16 on his purchase of 2723 E. Cary St., a roughly quarter-acre site at the eastern end of Tobacco Row, where he’s planning a 47-unit apartment building with structured parking across and downhill from the Lucky Strike building.

Connell’s Shiplock LLC paid $775,000 for the site, which was last purchased in 2012 for $600,000. The seller was an entity tied to Historic Housing, the local development firm led by Louis Salomonsky and David White. The city most recently assessed the property at $733,000.

The apartment building is planned to rise five stories on the Cary Street side, and seven stories on the lower-elevation side facing Dock Street and the river. Tentatively called “Shiplock,” the apartments would range from 600 to 1,100 square feet in size and consist of 28 one-bedroom units and 19 two-bedrooms.

Rents for the market-rate units have not been set. Connell said a construction schedule has not been determined.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...