Jackson Ward / Gilpin

whw53

16 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Zoom link to the Historic JW meeting tomorrow. Email i got has an item for 'development updates'. I can not attend but if anyone wants to take the fall on this it would be a great service. 

oin Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8836101622?pwd=N1M4SG40WGZuUERIbUxIeHpTSGRSZz09

Wonder if anything will be said about The Admiral?

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/24/multiple-planning-efforts-and-projects-aiming-to-reconnect-jackson-ward/

Nice article on reconnecting Jackson Ward.  I like this idea.  Hopefully, the bridge deck will come to pass and serve as a model for use around RVA.  I'd like to see a few more blocks of I-95/64 covered in JW, as well as I-195 between Broad and Grove and the Downtown Expressway where possible.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/05/24/multiple-planning-efforts-and-projects-aiming-to-reconnect-jackson-ward/

Nice article on reconnecting Jackson Ward.  I like this idea.  Hopefully, the bridge deck will come to pass and serve as a model for use around RVA.  I'd like to see a few more blocks of I-95/64 covered in JW, as well as I-195 between Broad and Grove and the Downtown Expressway where possible.

I'd love to see this done with Carytown to Byrd Park and Randolph neighborhoods. Reconnect it all... one could build thousands of new row houses using that land...or 10,000+ apartments/condos. You could build entire neighborhoods on top of the expressway line - just so much wasted space. 

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I love the idea of this, but it just seems so economically wasteful. 

Maybe so - but the benefit of actually physically reconnecting communities and building cohesion in these parts of town may actually outweight strict/simple economic bean counting. Not every benefit can be measured in dollars and cents. I'd look at it as an investment - not an expenditure - and the city may well recoup at least a portion of the spent dollars, which makes a lot of sense. Which is to day, it would be replacing dollars and cents with dollars and sense!

• Like 3

Hah!  A school complaint.  At least it was not about deck overs over crowding schools.  

Some deck overs would be great but not every inch of the freeways.  As an avid recycler, I still enjoy my gas guzzling and polluting drive while looking around at the growth of our lovely city.  It sure beats staring down a long tunnel.   :D

If any of you are familiar with Rosslyn in Arlington, there's a park over I-66 in Rosslyn.  The park is used for summer concerts and festivals.  

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Maybe so - but the benefit of actually physically reconnecting communities and building cohesion in these parts of town may actually outweight strict/simple economic bean counting. Not every benefit can be measured in dollars and cents. I'd look at it as an investment - not an expenditure - and the city may well recoup at least a portion of the spent dollars, which makes a lot of sense. Which is to day, it would be replacing dollars and cents with dollars and sense!

Good comment - it’s just that the initial outlay of what it would take to make it happen ensures it will never happen.

Edited by DowntownCoruscant
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Good comment - it’s just that the initial outlay of what it would take to make it happen ensures it will never happen.

My only pushback would be that RVA isn't the only city exploring these options - there is a groundswell for this sort of thing and Uncle Sam has been allocating provisions to help cities make this dream become a reality. Quoting the RBS story:

(Maritza) Pechin (deputy city planning director) said a conceptual rendering and cost estimate for a potential connection project could be presented by June, setting the stage for the city to apply for federal funding through the $1 billion Reconnecting Communities grant program under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.

Obviously, there's no guarantee RVA would secure federal funding and if it did, how much. But I would tend to think we would get some help from this grant program, and particularly if the city is able to coordinate efforts such to get funds secured over the next two years. I would think there would be enough impetus to get a coalition together of our Congressional reps, also Sen. Kaine (being that he is a Richmonder and is both the former mayor of the city and former governor of the Commonwealth), plus state and local officials - and put together enough of a push that if they do it right and make every effort to make a big public 'splash' -- we might see some dollars flowing to the city. Who knows - depending on the makeup of the General Assembly beginning with the 2023 session, hopefully there would be a willingness on the part of the state to participate in this effort as well.

At least the city it taking steps in the right direction, and I think this concept could really gain some traction and get legs in the next couple of years. Again, from a national perspective, other cities are moving in this direction, too - so it's good that RVA is jumping on this now and not waiting another 5 or 10 years (like she has done with things in the past) hemming and hawwing as to whether or not to take the steps to make something happen.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I love the idea of this, but it just seems so economically wasteful. 

I wouldn't want the city to pay for it, but if it's the feds paying for it it's a drop in the bucket for them and I would consider it a small effort towards correcting their wrong of dividing the city up in the first place.  That said, this is being talked about in the scope of racial justice since it was a historically black neighborhood.  Thing is by the time this gets done there's hardly going to be any black people living in the neighborhood anymore, it's going to be gentrified.

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I guess I should clarify since I am a dollars and "sense" guy. What does something like this cost, $50M? Could it be applied to something that has a greater impact on improving the lives of actual human beings vs making a statement? 

I think creating more land for our "locked" city makes sense as an investment, especially when it's so close to the city's economy hot spots like downtown, VCU, and Navy Hill (City Center). 

Look at it as a development booster. As soon as Jackson Ward is reconnected then Gilpin Court will (of course) be demo'd and there will be acres of land ready for development - Imagine an open area of the city that is as big (if not bigger?) that Diamond District but in a better location...some would argue Gilpin is in a better location than City Center / NH because it doesn't have to deal with pre-existing city buildings and issues. 

Take the survey here - my favorite is of course option 1 where we can actually reconnect the entire Jackson Ward:

https://reconnectjacksonward.com/

If it makes any difference, it's federal money already allocated for bridge-cover projects like this. It's not like the feds will say "Okay, RVA. You can either use this for Jackson Ward Bridge Park or you can invest it into your schools and the 12 story Admiral building!" ha!

Sorry, I had to bring in the Admiral just to poke ourselves that it may still exist!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I think creating more land for our "locked" city makes sense as an investment, especially when it's so close to the city's economy hot spots like downtown, VCU, and Navy Hill (City Center). 

Look at it as a development booster. As soon as Jackson Ward is reconnected then Gilpin Court will (of course) be demo'd and there will be acres of land ready for development - Imagine an open area of the city that is as big (if not bigger?) that Diamond District but in a better location...some would argue Gilpin is in a better location than City Center / NH because it doesn't have to deal with pre-existing city buildings and issues. 

Take the survey here - my favorite is of course option 1 where we can actually reconnect the entire Jackson Ward:

https://reconnectjacksonward.com/

If it makes any difference, it's federal money already allocated for bridge-cover projects like this. It's not like the feds will say "Okay, RVA. You can either use this for Jackson Ward Bridge Park or you can invest it into your schools and the 12 story Admiral building!" ha!

Sorry, I had to bring in the Admiral just to poke ourselves that it may still exist!

"BUT THE SCHOOL... oh wait... " :tw_joy:

To your point of creating new "land" to a very-much landlocked city - and the potential impact it will have on Gilpin - I 100% agree with you. This by itself makes it a beneficial investment and a project the city should champion. Very hopeful this project gets some legs under it and comes to pass (or should that be 'overpass'? :tw_wink:)

BTW - did anyone attend the HJW committee meeting (wasn't it on the 17th?) Any word on the Admiral? @ancientcarpenteryou mentioned that it "may still exist" - umm... kinda cryptic language there... care to share what you know?

Edited by I miss RVA

21 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

BTW - did anyone attend the HJW committee meeting (wasn't it on the 17th?) Any word on the Admiral? @ancientcarpenteryou mentioned that it "may still exist" - umm... kinda cryptic language there... care to share what you know?

I was there... no details on any development.

No cryptic message...just poking the bear :) sorry!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@whw53-- I went back through this thread to find the link you had posted to the city's permit portal to see if there was any further information on the status of The Admiral. This is what I found. (see below). Is this the only active link in the city's permit website that would have information about The Admiral? And if so, I'm guessing it is current and up-to-date? If so, then it got hung up in the process as far back as last fall. Would there be any way to dig up any additional information? Note the application and expiration dates. Is it possible this application expired five months ago with very little significant progress having been made? If so - have they re-applied?

This is REALLY concerning if there's been no further action or progress on this project.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/2497b372-ae78-4ecd-b43e-c31846d07f1b

Screenshot (2032).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

I guess I was wrong and some permitting issues may still be hanging this up. Development team or related party seems to be pushing this forward though - 

ZCL filed today probably asking for clarification of where process is - 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/11e6f2b3-7091-4a10-beab-f5e68f50bc56?tab=attachments

keep an eye on this - city will have their response posted in the attachements tab at some point.

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, whw53 said:

I guess I was wrong and some permitting issues may still be hanging this up. Development team or related party seems to be pushing this forward though - 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/11e6f2b3-7091-4a10-beab-f5e68f50bc56?tab=attachments

keep an eye on this - city will have their response posted in the attachements tab at some point.

image.thumb.png.861f91822ae280f5fd6b8220e891d976.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Thanks, @whw53-- this has me feeling quite a bit better. Looks like regardless of what may/may not have happened over the last eight or so months, the developers reapplied and hopefully this jumpstarts things. It would be super exciting -- with a tower crane already up and working at the Parc View site, and with Bakery Lofts underway, and with CoStar's ground-breaking right around the corner, if somehow this project could get rolling between now and the end of the year would portend very well for RVA to have four major downtown area projects rising simultaenously. A very good thing!

I know I'm being greedy - but if, God-willing, the Admiral gets underway in the very near future, then we need to have Locks 7 or 8 get rolling - and South Falls II. Seems like with every project that goes forward, I want the next one in the pipeline to move ahead and join it. Greedy, I know. But still...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.aeaf36a2b719f9071559862d37af7bf5.jpeg
https://www.baskervill.com/project/jackson-place/

Another cool concept for a development in Jackson ward  at the corner of 3rd and Jackson st. This would be amazing to see rise from the interstates for people driving in the city.

That tract is back to square 1 if i remember correctly after RRHA pulled in the plug in 2020. Even so this baskervil  concept was not the one that had moved forward under that solicitation. This has been on their site for years probably representing another proposal that did not get picked ast that time- it's wonderful but does not indicate anything forthcoming.

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2020/nov/05/jackson-ward-hotel-project-dies-after-dispute-rrha/

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Cameo House on Jackson-Cameo-Duval st block is coming along nicely. Looks like they are already at the elevator build phase - correct me if I'm wrong (left and right hand side of the picture).

I'm against this project b/c it was a bait-n-switch on the Jackson Ward community. From a development standpoint, I'm happy that this empty block is being developed and low income will at least have more options in good parts of town like Jackson Ward. I find the design as attractive as modern design go - brick siding is always a good sign! Looking forward to its completion and residents becoming an important piece to the community and the community becoming an important piece to the residents :)

It's quite the footprint. 67 multi family units and, sadly, 68 parking spots. Really wish they took up less of a footprint for parking but here we are. 

Really big fan of the balconies - I personally believe porches and balconies create an "openness" to the community and allow people to be in their homes while also in the neighborhood. Allows for little things like "hello!" and a nice hand wave to your neighborhood :hi: that opens doors to future relationships in the community and neighbors - removes the "isolated box" :ph34r:effect that many of these new developments bring where people go their apartment to car and car to apartment without any chance for social interaction. Personally, I find it depressing... social interactions is why we live in the cities! That and crime! :tw_joy:

https://www.betterhousingcoalition.org/cameo-development-jackson-ward-richmond/

Cameo-External-Rendering-scaled-e1612826718966.jpg

Cameo Street Apartments - Location on a map

0?ui=2&ik=210c84d179&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r1327436601160718023&th=1826934fa93dffca&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ8b9QLffILoqWsXnXbYLHbp-kQMyv3eOt0Lba4KKGKx9oH0Xlu5ap4v8BiJd_YFE-UevglFwMG-9wy7vq9AOnbVnUldyk40cwXl43zLRmfol9CbJr-_23KtCbs&disp=emb&realattid=1826934d4bc926c1ae91

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, upzoningisgood said:

Out of curiosity, how was it a bait and switch? Don’t know the history here.

Land was sold with approval of Historic Jackson Ward Assoc community to a developer that they would build houses there - encouraging home ownership. This was important because it meant the association approved a zoning change. The land had houses on it before and everyone agreed that the best way to build generational wealth is through home ownership. Also, community wants more people invested in the community instead of more and more renters coming in - that's not to say Jackson Ward is against apartments, we have a ton...but this land was particularly planned and agreed for home ownership.

A few years ago that same developer sells the land to Better Housing Coalition. They take advantage of the new zoning laws and don't take agreed upon input from previous agreed deal by the community. In fact, Better Housing Coalition didn't even bring up the plans to HJWA until they found out there was a very tiny strip of land in the middle of the entire development block that somehow didn't get rezoned. So, they came to HJWA with their tail between their legs and asking for new approval. 

HJWA said no (obviously). So Better Housing Coalition went to city council anyways and got approval there because city council Rep. Katherine Jordan (represents Jackson Ward) didn't fight back.

Needless to say, Katherine Jordan will not be getting my vote nor will she get a lot of support from Jackson Ward in the next election.

HJWA has been supporting of low income and mixed housing more than most communities in RVA. Problem is we also want more housing for home ownership and we aren't getting that. As the studies show, concentration of too much low income housing is detrimental  to the community and the recipients. We need a healthy mix and Jackson Ward has already approved and volunteered for so much of it.