Jackson Ward / Gilpin

whw53

12 hours ago, whw53 said:

Well...here's something....scratching my head on this one ...is JWard about to get a skinny tower? SUP filed today for 210 W Marshall to  'authorize the construction of a 13 story mixed use building.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/4755ddab-d64c-42e7-9e09-9dc0dab931f4

This lot is real skinny though - what do yal think - is this a typo or maybe they forgot to list an adjoining lot?

Edit: So 210 EAST Marshall includes the Admiral lot...was thinking maybe a typo there ..but no i cross checked the parcel  and owner info listed with the city GIS app and it checks out..

Edit 2: Note the tan below - that is the Old and Historic District boundary - anything on this site will have to go in front of the CAR board.

"Peacock Rubin" owns the building behind this as well as the empty lot at 214 W. Marshall.  210 W. Marshall shows involvement with this owner as well.  The two buildings in between are not showing obvious connection but perhaps this project consists of of several plots and is just listed as 210.  210-214 were listed on Loopnet up until August 31.  Other than the one duplex, the rest of the structures around there area single-story industrial.  I still have a hard time imagining this getting through neighborhood support, assuming this is not a typo.

image.png.7c25dc69a7d5baff43ef86300954da54.png

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/210-214-W-Marshall-St-Richmond-VA/8775293/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

"Peacock Rubin" owns the building behind this as well as the empty lot at 214 W. Marshall.  210 W. Marshall shows involvement with this owner as well.  The two buildings in between are not showing obvious connection but perhaps this project consists of of several plots and is just listed as 210.  210-214 were listed on Loopnet up until August 31.  Other than the one duplex, the rest of the structures around there area single-story industrial.  I still have a hard time imagining this getting through neighborhood support, assuming this is not a typo.

Same here, unfortunately. I can hear the clamoring of the NIMBYs now. (I can't roll my eyes hard enough at the thought...) Just having to jump through the flaming hoops of the CAR is going to be difficult enough. Then, I imagine, the NIMBYs are going to demand public hearings. I think we can start shredding the SUP even before it even gets printed. (Just put the blank piece of paper in the shredder and call it a day!)

When it comes to "historic" architecture - I'm surprised the NIMBYs don't appropriate the little tune from Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" (or was it "Life of Brian"??) as their "Preservationist's Anthem" ... just a slight change to the lyric is necessary to make it work: 

"Every brick is sacred... every brick is good..." 

(again, rolling my eyes to the point I now have a headache)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a feature story in the Times-Dispatch/richmond.com this past Friday. I know it's generated some conversation here. Photos courtesy of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/effort-seeks-to-reconnect-jackson-ward-across-an-interstate-and-racial-divide/article_7b3e261b-20ae-5cb0-ac13-81c33c7ac57d.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

6157a095693e0.image.jpg

6157a0935fe14.image.jpg

6157a099d734d.image.jpg

6157a09a751b9.image.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 8:49 PM, whw53 said:

Well...here's something....scratching my head on this one ...is JWard about to get a skinny tower? SUP filed today for 210 W Marshall to  'authorize the construction of a 13 story mixed use building.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/4755ddab-d64c-42e7-9e09-9dc0dab931f4

This lot is real skinny though - what do yal think - is this a typo or maybe they forgot to list an adjoining lot?

Edit: So 210 EAST Marshall includes the Admiral lot...was thinking maybe a typo there ..but no i cross checked the parcel  and owner info listed with the city GIS app and it checks out..

Edit 2: Note the tan below - that is the Old and Historic District boundary - anything on this site will have to go in front of the CAR board.

210WMarshall.jpg

210WMarshall_GE.jpg

I wanted to point out that the comment on this SUP filing has been edited to '5 story building'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

This is a big deal... no renderings? no news articles on it? nothing we can find?

Nothing so far - i expect BizSense to pick up on it within the next week. They usually report on significant SUP\POD filings within 2 weeks of application.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, blopp1234 said:

I think the zoning for this project was mentioned earlier in a post but here is the details from bizsense.  5 stories is a lot on a lot that small and I absolutely love it!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/10/18/mixed-use-building-planned-to-replace-warehouse-in-jackson-ward/

I know it's a rendering but I really like the look of it in the historic Jackson Ward. Looks modern yet still fits the style. No parking spots is an interesting move...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I know it's a rendering but I really like the look of it in the historic Jackson Ward. Looks modern yet still fits the style. No parking spots is an interesting move...

Folks in the comments section of the RBS article are kvetching up a storm about the parking, and of course there are complaints about the architecture. I really like this project and can't wait to see it rise in Jackson Ward.

• Like 4

this meeting is crawling - uproar over the 3 unit project on Duvall across from the interstate about historic context - essentially a lot of homeowners railing against rental housing and design standards for a couple projects that in all honesty look real nice - wow. Next is the 5 story project on 2nd - going to grab some popcorn...

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, whw53 said:

this meeting is crawling - uproar over the 3 unit project on Duvall across from the interstate about historic context - essentially a lot of homeowners railing against rental housing and design standards for a couple projects that in all honesty look real nice - wow. Next is the 5 story project on 2nd - going to grab some popcorn...

image.png.1c3540ff42d9552a08c55f994dc2346e.png

All I can ask is... WHY???? WHY do these people do this? Jesus... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Full update:

210 W. Marshall: RichmondBizSense may have gotten ahead of this but it may not be accurate entirely. May be down to 4 stories and pushed back away from the sidewalk. HJWA wants to push for condos instead of apartments. Next meeting on Nov 6 will address this directly with board and owner with new renderings. HJWA will vote on a following date. 

2nd and east marshall: 5 story. No renderings yet but developer has been working with Maggie Walker organization to have something with integrity with historic Jackson Ward and near Maggie Walker's house.

2nd and Marshall: 12 story building has been approved. Most likely will start in next 6 months.

1.) 210 W. Marshall - Jesus... these folks just HAVE to force the developer to scale it back, don't they. WHY??? This kind of crap just irks the daylights out of me. To no end. TYPICAL Richmond.

2.) 2nd & E. Marshall -- Isn't this actually 2nd and Leigh? Either way, progress on it sounds good. Glad to see it's moving along and I'm sure it will be a good add to that block. 

3.) 2nd and Marshall - 12-story building. YESSSS!!! Okay - at least no speed bumps or hiccups there. Wow! Why am I shocked?  Good to know it'll be underway within the next 6 months - so ... possibly by next April then?

Ancientcarpenter: thanks SO much for attending the meeting and posting the details for everyone. This is great stuff.

• Like 1

Another item that was brought up was a potential new project in the works at Belvidere and Leigh. City Council will vote on a resolution to vacate the alley ROW's at its Nov 8 th meeting. Concept is still in the works but Sterling Bilder is the developer, landholder here.

BilderLeigh.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, whw53 said:

Another item that was brought up was a potential new project in the works at Belvidere and Leigh. City Council will vote on a resolution to vacate the alley ROW's at its Nov 8 th meeting. Concept is still in the works but Sterling Bilder is the developer, landholder here.

BilderLeigh.jpg

This was briefly mentioned and I wasn't sure what they meant by alley but now I see - I guess there is an imaginary alley that technically runs through that property.

That is also an exciting development. I do hope it is something significant. The Eco Flats next door are beautiful buildings but them being rehab houses has created a lot of loitering and an unwelcoming feeling with broken down cars and trash on that street. Anyone know what the zoning currently is?

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

This was briefly mentioned and I wasn't sure what they meant by alley but now I see - I guess there is an imaginary alley that technically runs through that property.

That is also an exciting development. I do hope it is something significant. The Eco Flats next door are beautiful buildings but them being rehab houses has created a lot of loitering and an unwelcoming feeling with broken down cars and trash on that street. Anyone know what the zoning currently is?

Southwest of the ROW is R-73 (Multifamily Residential) and East is  B-2 (Community Business).

image.thumb.png.599688a2d534e40d65698960cad8266f.png

https://library.municode.com/va/richmond/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH30ZO_ARTIVDIRE_DIV11R-MUREDI

DIVISION 11. - R-73 MULTIFAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT

Sec. 30-420.1. - Permitted principal uses.    
The following uses of buildings and premises shall be permitted in the R-73 district:

(1)Any principal use permitted in the R-1 district as set forth in Section 30-402.1;
(2)Single-family attached dwellings and uses and structures customarily incidental to attached dwelling developments, provided that:
a.Appropriate agreements and covenants approved by the City Attorney provide for the perpetuation and maintenance of all areas to be held in common ownership by property owners within such developments;
b.Architectural variations shall be provided among units within any series of more than four units;
c.A plan of development shall be required as set forth in Article X of this chapter for any development with three or more newly constructed single-family attached dwellings;
(3)Two-family dwellings, provided that when more than one main building is to be located on a lot, a plan of development shall be required as set forth in Article X of this chapter;
(4)Multifamily dwellings, provided that when more than one main building or more than ten dwelling units are to be located on a lot, a plan of development shall be required as set forth in Article X of this chapter;
(5)Nursing homes, provided that a plan of development shall be required as set forth in Article X of this chapter;

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

That interchange is an odd design. 

This is actually being reconfigured. Moving of some utilities has already started ahead of formal construction next Spring. 

https://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Richmond/asset_upload_file812_139363.pdf

https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/richmond/i-95-belvidere-street-interchange-improvements-in-richmond.asp

Screenshot 2021-10-28 140918.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, whw53 said:

This is actually being reconfigured. Moving of some utilities has already started ahead of formal construction next Spring. 

https://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Richmond/asset_upload_file812_139363.pdf

https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/richmond/i-95-belvidere-street-interchange-improvements-in-richmond.asp

Screenshot 2021-10-28 140918.jpg

When are they going to add the 95 N ramp from southbound Chamberlayne?

• Like 1