Jackson Ward / Gilpin

whw53

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

This is actually being reconfigured. Moving of some utilities has already started ahead of formal construction next Spring. 

https://www.virginiadot.org/Projects/Richmond/asset_upload_file812_139363.pdf

https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/richmond/i-95-belvidere-street-interchange-improvements-in-richmond.asp

Screenshot 2021-10-28 140918.jpg

$7million for removal/cutting off of the existing ramp? That seems like a lot but I assume there may be a lot of utility work underneath? But yes, the existing ramp is essentially useless and seems like it was an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

City voted to vacate these aforementioned ROW's (between the 'R' and 'B' labels @Iceteraprovided) last night. This leaves Bilder Development with a contiguous parcel for development.

On 10/27/2021 at 1:30 PM, whw53 said:

Another item that was brought up was a potential new project in the works at Belvidere and Leigh. City Council will vote on a resolution to vacate the alley ROW's at its Nov 8 th meeting. Concept is still in the works but Sterling Bilder is the developer, landholder here.

BilderLeigh.jpg

On 10/28/2021 at 9:37 AM, Icetera said:

Southwest of the ROW is R-73 (Multifamily Residential) and East is  B-2 (Community Business).

image.thumb.png.599688a2d534e40d65698960cad8266f.png

https://library.municode.com/va/richmond/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH30ZO_ARTIVDIRE_DIV11R-MUREDI

• Like 4

3 hours ago, whw53 said:

City voted to vacate these aforementioned ROW's (between the 'R' and 'B' labels @Iceteraprovided) last night. This leaves Bilder Development with a contiguous parcel for development.

I am VERY curious to see what they choose to do here. What is the height limit?

I am shocked VCU never ended up picking up this property... could have made for a really cool dual development on this lot + the lot across leigh from this one with a possible floating in-door bridge between the two.

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I am VERY curious to see what they choose to do here. What is the height limit?

I am shocked VCU never ended up picking up this property... could have made for a really cool dual development on this lot + the lot across leigh from this one with a possible floating in-door bridge between the two.

B-2 community business -- height limit is 35 feet. R-73 multifamilty residential can be up to 150 feet. Interesting a residential building could be triple the height of a business in this neighborhood. No idea if this specific location, given that it's pushed up against both I-95 and Belvidere Street, falls under any overlay regs of the actual Jackson Ward historic district.

Here's what's listed in the RVA code of ordinances regarding zoning:

https://library.municode.com/va/richmond/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH30ZO_ARTIVDIRE_DIV20COBUDI

DIVISION 20. - B-2 COMMUNITY BUSINESS DISTRICT

Sec. 30-436.5. - Height.
No building or structure in the B-2 Community Business District shall exceed 35 feet in height.

(Code 1993, § 32-436.5; Code 2004, § 114-436.5; Code 2015, § 30-436.5)

DIVISION 11. - R-73 MULTIFAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT

Sec. 30-420.8. - Height.    
No building or structure in the R-73 Multifamily Residential District shall exceed 150 feet in height, provided that no portion of a building shall penetrate an inclined plane originating at the centerline of an abutting street and extending over the lot at an inclination of one foot horizontal for each two feet vertical along any street frontage where a front yard is required and one foot horizontal for each three feet vertical along other street frontages.

(Code 1993, § 32-420.8; Code 2004, § 114-420.8; Code 2015, § 30-420.8)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

B-2 community business -- height limit is 35 feet. R-73 multifamilty residential can be up to 150 feet. Interesting a residential building could be triple the height of a business in this neighborhood. No idea if this specific location, given that it's pushed up against both I-95 and Belvidere Street, falls under any overlay regs of the actual Jackson Ward historic district.

Here's what's listed in the RVA code of ordinances regarding zoning:

https://library.municode.com/va/richmond/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH30ZO_ARTIVDIRE_DIV20COBUDI

DIVISION 20. - B-2 COMMUNITY BUSINESS DISTRICT

Sec. 30-436.5. - Height.
No building or structure in the B-2 Community Business District shall exceed 35 feet in height.

(Code 1993, § 32-436.5; Code 2004, § 114-436.5; Code 2015, § 30-436.5)

DIVISION 11. - R-73 MULTIFAMILY RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT

Sec. 30-420.8. - Height.    
No building or structure in the R-73 Multifamily Residential District shall exceed 150 feet in height, provided that no portion of a building shall penetrate an inclined plane originating at the centerline of an abutting street and extending over the lot at an inclination of one foot horizontal for each two feet vertical along any street frontage where a front yard is required and one foot horizontal for each three feet vertical along other street frontages.

(Code 1993, § 32-420.8; Code 2004, § 114-420.8; Code 2015, § 30-420.8)

I'm not a betting man but if I had to I'd bet I'd say this is going to be a 8-10 story apartment building with (hopefully) retail at bottom. It's the only thing that makes sense since that is quite an awkward lot size and I can't imagine how expensive it was to buy it.

14 ft = one story... so looks like max they can build is 10 story. Looking forward to this one...

Anybody have any clue what is going on with those Eco Flats next door? I know they good stuff there but it's quite the blight on the Jackson Ward community there with all the loitering and broken  down cars... I've talked to a few prominent locals and they've been trying to catch a few of the guys that live there stealing off of porches and going into cars. Such beautiful buildings.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Bilder isn't really known for height. But better than VCU I believe - would prefer Jackson Ward to pivot towards downtown as opposed to Monroe Park tbh.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

whw53 - I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Would you mind clarifying?  (I'm asking earnestly because I feel certain I've missed a trend or two re: Jackson Ward)

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I'm not a betting man but if I had to I'd bet I'd say this is going to be a 8-10 story apartment building with (hopefully) retail at bottom. It's the only thing that makes sense since that is quite an awkward lot size and I can't imagine how expensive it was to buy it.

14 ft = one story... so looks like max they can build is 10 story. Looking forward to this one...

Anybody have any clue what is going on with those Eco Flats next door? I know they good stuff there but it's quite the blight on the Jackson Ward community there with all the loitering and broken  down cars... I've talked to a few prominent locals and they've been trying to catch a few of the guys that live there stealing off of porches and going into cars. Such beautiful buildings.

I'd love to see something 10 stories here - though I have my doubts we will. Perhaps a different developer would come in and build tall (well, tall for the neighborhood) - but I agree with you - it would be really nice to see something that size go up on that lot.

10 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I really should have clarified: In my question, what I had more in mind was what do the owners/developers of those buildings plan to do with those properties? I imagine at one point it may be attractive to turn that space into market rate apartments and maybe even some retail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

whw53 - I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Would you mind clarifying?  (I'm asking earnestly because I feel certain I've missed a trend or two re: Jackson Ward)

I'd love to see something 10 stories here - though I have my doubts we will. Perhaps a different developer would come in and build tall (well, tall for the neighborhood) - but I agree with you - it would be really nice to see something that size go up on that lot.

I think meaning keep massing toward Broad Street, especially on the Eastern end.  I disagree though as the very optimistic 10-stories would create a nice impact on I-64 (Ascend has a surprisingly impressive visual already) and would help tie in the developments across the interstate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, whw53 said:

Bilder isn't really known for height. But better than VCU I believe - would prefer Jackson Ward to pivot towards downtown as opposed to Monroe Park tbh.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

In 'pivoting toward downtown' I wasn't referring to height - by Monroe Park I meant taking this western JW area and planting more VCU institutional uses on the back streets like was done in Carver  -( @ancientcarpentermentioned a dual development scenario with their tract across Leigh). I don't want VCU to continue pushing into the Ward like that. All I meant is I want JW to be more  of a downtown multipurpose  neighborhood with a demographic, business variety  than an extension of VCU's campus. I'll take a 10 story here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, whw53 said:

In 'pivoting toward downtown' I wasn't referring to height - by Monroe Park I meant taking this western JW area and planting more VCU institutional uses on the back streets like was done in Carver  -( @ancientcarpentermentioned a dual development scenario with their tract across Leigh). I don't want VCU to continue pushing into the Ward like that. All I meant is I want JW to be more  of a downtown multipurpose  neighborhood with a demographic, business variety  than an extension of VCU's campus. I'll take a 10 story here.

Agreed. At this point it's a race to whoever gets the land. VCU has done a good job outlining itself around Jackson Ward and buying the massive Blvdr and Leigh st lot is telling that VCU has no issues finally being obvious about expanding into Jackson Ward. The VCU Police are already stationed in Jackson Ward (on broad st) technically and they regularly make house calls to loud VCU students and parties in Jackson Ward.

I love Jackson Ward. I hope the history can be preserved and I hope more families can move in and pass on the legacy. It should stay as a neighborhood but, in my opinion, it is doomed to become a renters playing field. The location is remarkable and very unique and extremely convenient + the houses are big, roomy, and beautiful with most having plenty of front and backyard space for row houses. With the long-anticipated demo of Gilpin Court, Jackson Ward will boom even more very soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you.

• Like 1

Revised project at 620 Chamberlayne - 4 unit project now dubbed 'Chamberlayne Row' and will come before CAR as a modern design after switching out approved plans for 4 relatively uninteresting attached homes. This looks better,  and is the stronger srchitecture needed in north JW to push back against the interstate and its deteriorating effect on the urban fabric there....the massing is similar to Cameo House where the architecture imitates skinny rowhomes. The older approved designs and rendering is back on page 1 or 2 of this thread. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5208838&GUID=243D2D4D-7E67-40BC-942D-3A60BA46A8E0&Options=&Search=

ChamberlayneRow.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Revised project at 620 Chamberlayne - 4 unit project now dubbed 'Chamberlayne Row' and will come before CAR as a modern design after switching out approved plans for 4 relatively uninteresting attached homes. This looks better,  and is the stronger srchitecture needed in north JW to push back against the interstate and its deteriorating effect on the urban fabric there....the massing is similar to Cameo House where the architecture imitates skinny rowhomes. The older approved designs and rendering is back on page 1 or 2 of this thread. 

https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=5208838&GUID=243D2D4D-7E67-40BC-942D-3A60BA46A8E0&Options=&Search=

ChamberlayneRow.jpg

Forgive me if this is insulting to these but these look like they are from the Stone Age.  If the original design was bad then I’m not sure what would be labeled as worse or better but I don’t like these at all. Yes I’m sure it’s a cost thing but if these don’t look like they are made of rock from the Stone Age. 

42 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Forgive me if this is insulting to these but these look like they are from the Stone Age.  If the original design was bad then I’m not sure what would be labeled as worse or better but I don’t like these at all. Yes I’m sure it’s a cost thing but if these don’t look like they are made of rock from the Stone Age. 

I actually kind of like it (I am a sucker for grey brick) and think the final product will look better.  However, I do wish it had better interaction with the street; at least some outdoor space abutting the sidewalk.

• Like 3

In looking up the exact map location of this project (see orange outlined area), I noticed the vacant parcels that take up chunks of the old neighborhood - and the street addresses that show on Google maps, indicative of the fact that, however many decades ago, there were residences or community businesses located at these addresses. (see red-outlined areas).

Now, who knows how much of these properties are owned by adjacent places (such as the church on Leigh Street, for example) - but it would be FANTASTIC if we could see something akin to what is being developed at Jackson Place developed particularly on the bigger plot - and on the smaller plots, rowhouses to infill and re-establish the old street addresses. What a fantastic resurrection of the old neighborhood that would be if it ever came to pass.

Looks like there were five different street addresses -- 2 on Judah Street and 3 on St. Peter Street -- that are part of what I'm guessing in the parking lot for the church. So I didn't include them in the outlined areas.

Screenshot (360).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

In looking up the exact map location of this project (see orange outlined area), I noticed the vacant parcels that take up chunks of the old neighborhood - and the street addresses that show on Google maps, indicative of the fact that, however many decades ago, there were residences or community businesses located at these addresses. (see red-outlined areas).

Now, who knows how much of these properties are owned by adjacent places (such as the church on Leigh Street, for example) - but it would be FANTASTIC if we could see something akin to what is being developed at Jackson Place developed particularly on the bigger plot - and on the smaller plots, rowhouses to infill and re-establish the old street addresses. What a fantastic resurrection of the old neighborhood that would be if it ever came to pass.

Looks like there were five different street addresses -- 2 on Judah Street and 3 on St. Peter Street -- that are part of what I'm guessing in the parking lot for the church. So I didn't include them in the outlined areas.

Screenshot (360).png

Funny that you mention new dev on these lands, especially in your screenshot there:

See the top right of your red square in the Judah and Brook Alley corner? Well that tip there is being developed as a 3 story, 3 unit (3 bdrm) living space and will be facing off of Duval St. Address should be 407 W. Duval St. I imagine other developers are seeing that and beginning to foam at the mouth.

I had some renderings but deleted them from my October Historic Jackson Ward development meeting as I figured most people didn't care about such a "small" project. It is comedic how skinny the lot is but the developer wants to do 3 stories and make it worthwhile which is awesome. 

I don't know who owns all that open grass. I assume the church owns a big portion of it as they probably bought it for pocket change 20+ years ago.

BTW, all are invited, HJWA is having a meeting tomorrow. Agenda looks good for two development discussions of 210 W. Marshall "skinny" condos (apartments?) and 208-212 E. Leigh.

Have we heard any updates for 208-212 E. Leigh in RBS since this? https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/25/gammino-secures-site-for-jackson-ward-development-with-3m-deal/

So much going on in Jackson Ward it's hard to keep up with which lot is getting what...

WWW.HJWA.COM

Agenda items include (but are not limited to):

• Community Reports
    • Richmond Police Department
    • VCU Police Department
    • VCU Liaison
    • 2nd District
  •  Updates:
    • Development projects
      • Recap of Special Meeting (10-26)
      • Presentation 208-212 E. Leigh 
      • 210 W. Marshall St 
      • Other
      • Tree Planting
  • Upcoming Community Events
    • Armstrong Walker Classic Parade
    • Other
    • New Business
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

See the top right of your red square in the Judah and Brook Alley corner? Well that tip there is being developed as a 3 story, 3 unit (3 bdrm) living space and will be facing off of Duval St. Address should be 407 W. Duval St. I imagine other developers are seeing that and beginning to foam at the mouth.

I had some renderings but deleted them from my October Historic Jackson Ward development meeting as I figured most people didn't care about such a "small" project. It is comedic how skinny the lot is but the developer wants to do 3 stories and make it worthwhile which is awesome. 

BTW, all are invited, HJWA is having a meeting tomorrow. Agenda looks good for two development discussions of 210 W. Marshall "skinny" condos (apartments?) and 208-212 E. Leigh.

Have we heard any updates for 208-212 E. Leigh in RBS since this? https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/11/25/gammino-secures-site-for-jackson-ward-development-with-3m-deal/

1.) - Sweet! If you ever happen to come across renderings, we'd love to see 'em! Good to know that there's an address up in that part of JW that's being redeveloped. And three stories - :tw_thumbsup:

2.) - hopefully the skinny will pass muster since the original proposal got torpedoed.

3.) - I'm guessing there are no renderings for anything yet for the 208-212 E. Leigh development? How large is the parcel? If the developer is putting 63 apartments in, what are we thinking - 3 or 4 floors?

12 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

1.) - Sweet! If you ever happen to come across renderings, we'd love to see 'em! Good to know that there's an address up in that part of JW that's being redeveloped. And three stories - :tw_thumbsup:

2.) - hopefully the skinny will pass muster since the original proposal got torpedoed.

3.) - I'm guessing there are no renderings for anything yet for the 208-212 E. Leigh development? How large is the parcel? If the developer is putting 63 apartments in, what are we thinking - 3 or 4 floors?

Per last October's meeting, I included the unique ID's if you want to look them up as I'm not familiar how to:

Response to your point 1: 407 Duvall St
NP0000210019
SUP-086204-2021
Currently a vacant lot (between existing structures) - the applicant has requested special use permit to construct a three-unit multi family dwelling

Response to your point 2: 210 W. Marshall

N0000150019
SUP-099433-2021
Currently a one story vacant building -- The applicant has requested a SUP, which would authorize the construction of a 5 story, mixed-use building

Response to your point 3:  2nd and Leigh (208-212 E. Leigh)

A. D. Price Building and Parking lot 
SUP – 087641-2021
Proposing the construction of a 5-story 63 unit apartment building on the vacant lot at corner of 2nd/Leigh (B-2 zone)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Per last October's meeting, I included the unique ID's if you want to look them up as I'm not familiar how to:

Response to your point 1: 407 Duvall St
NP0000210019
SUP-086204-2021
Currently a vacant lot (between existing structures) - the applicant has requested special use permit to construct a three-unit multi family dwelling

Response to your point 2: 210 W. Marshall

N0000150019
SUP-099433-2021
Currently a one story vacant building -- The applicant has requested a SUP, which would authorize the construction of a 5 story, mixed-use building

Response to your point 3:  2nd and Leigh (208-212 E. Leigh)

A. D. Price Building and Parking lot 
SUP – 087641-2021
Proposing the construction of a 5-story 63 unit apartment building on the vacant lot at corner of 2nd/Leigh (B-2 zone)

Fantastic!  Thank you, kind sir!

• Like 1