Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Nothing too much new to report from the meeting last night but it was great to here from the planning staff on the vision for this area. They really see this area as a pocket that needs to absorb growth that is coming to Richmond whether we are ready or not. A few takeaways - 

Staff defended B-4 usage along Broad from onslaught of Fan NIMBYS and anti-growthers which gave the usual unfounded stew of historic nature/property values/off-scale etc. etc.

There was very good argument from staff that discussed why we can't continue down the road of just going through SUP process every time somebody wants to build something big which is that deters developers and makes the city seem incompetent and devalues the zoning tool.

Some very cool renderings of Lowe's parking lot potential under B4 which I see if I can find. 

No update on the Opus project. As we know, plan was approved through SUP - developer has yet to apply for permits however.

1.) - growth coming whether we are ready or not - YESSSS!!! I PRAY this is true! It certainly looks that way.

2.) - NIMBYs & anti-growthers: These nutcases drive me insane. This is EXACTLY what I've been kvetching about on here as one of the PRIMARY problems that has continuously held Richmond back as far back as I can remember. They need to sit down, STFU and get it through their thick heads that the days of "preserving" whatever-TF "historic tradition" that Richmond has have long past.  Richmond's not going to lose it's history, but for the love of God, this city needs to grow!!

3.) - I'm SO very glad the staff stood up the NIMBYs and told them point blank how their mindset no longer works and is an actual detriment to the city. It's time Richmond stops off-putting developers and stops looking so ridiculously incompetent compared to other cities that are thriving and, not only welcome new development, aggressively pursue it.

4.) - Lowe's parking lot potential - would LOVE to see what is envisioned!! Hope you are able to find it.

5.) - That doesn't sound good re: Opus. Wonder what's up with that? COVID-related? I don't want to give up hope, but I was hoping we'd see something happening by now.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, whw53 said:

Rezoning will not go before city council tonight - this has been pushed - again - until the 28th. Hopefully planning staff, council stand strong and don't curtail the B-4 proposed along Broad. 

Seriously?? This is ridiculous. I guess Gray wants to marshal her NIMBY alliance to try to put the kibosh on Richmond's growth because "Gawwwd-forbid RIchmond grows into a big city"

"But the school!!!"  "But the history!!!"  "But the (BS) architecture!!!"

... Jesus Christ...  FFS...  :tw_unamused:

Edited by I miss RVA

On 9/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, I miss RVA said:

Seriously?? This is ridiculous. I guess Gray wants to marshal her NIMBY alliance to try to put the kibosh on Richmond's growth because "Gawwwd-forbid RIchmond grows into a big city"

I misread this and thought you were ragging on Bachelors of Science Architecture, and thought what's wrong with those people? I'm one of those people. But yeah, absurd NIMBY behavior is a thorn in the side to growing cities. Richmond should act like a big city because it is becoming a big city.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I misread this and thought you were ragging on Bachelors of Science Architecture, and thought what's wrong with those people? I'm one of those people. But yeah, absurd NIMBY behavior is a thorn in the side to growing cities. Richmond should act like a big city because it is becoming a big city.

OMG - that's just too funny. Glad you re-read that! Definitely NOT referring to the academic degree - rather to the bull droppings of the NIMBYs. :tw_wink:

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 3:21 PM, I miss RVA said:

If you want to see some horrible NIMBYism, check out the "Why not RVA" group on Facebook.  I get concerned citizens and all, but like NOTHING is good enough for them.  I

56 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Out of curiosity, I went to that Facebook page and the first person I saw posted there was Scott Burger...that’s all I needed to see to know that I will not be going to that page anymore. Talk about NIMBY...he is the father of NIMBYism!  Back in the day, he used to troll the RichmondCityWatch forum until we ran him off.  No one would entertain his pathetic remarks.  Everything circulated around Oregon Hill (where he lives) and it looks like he hasn’t stopped - that’s all he cares about...and anything good planned for the city.  Can’t believe he has a platform on Facebook where people will entertain him!  I’m so done with this guy. 

I'm not a Facebook user for a laundry list full of reasons. However, I did check out the NIMBY site - and found this ditty on there. What's the deal with Style?  I know they have catered to these nutcases over the years, but this is utterly nauseating. Same BS argument they've been making for 50 years - and the obligatory mention of emulating Charleston. Please pass the zofran.

https://www.styleweekly.com/richmond/guest-commentary-runaway-train/Content?oid=16536868

5 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Ok, hopefully not over-reacting...but went by the Opus site about an hour ago at Lombardy\Broad...there have definitely been some changes at the gas station over the past week. All the Sunoco plating\branding is down from the pump ceiling and it looks like its been stripped to the colors (Amoco or Exxon?) prior to it switching to Sunoco. It is still open but if i'm interpreting that right it could be they are beginning the process of stripping this down for an upcoming demoiltion....

Hopefully, this is a very good sign that things might be moving in the right direction!  Thanks for the report!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Scott as in Scott Burger? There's a name I haven't seen since god knows 2013. Thought he finally went away. Looks like he's still there, obstructionist as ever.

Oh, he still pops up everywhere for sure and still wants solar panels required on everything!

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Oh, he still pops up everywhere for sure and still wants solar panels required on everything!

Funny because he wasn’t even happy about Dominion putting solar panels on their parking deck next to their building on the river!  I was super surprised.  His argument against them was that the overall height of the structure would be too high!!  

Even when you give him what he wants you still can’t win with him!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3