Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

My first time driving down 95 south since this has been topped out, when you pass by the section near Diversity Thrift and SCOR, this building really dominates the skyline, completely new look for the city for people driving south.

Is it possible to grab a picture somehow?

• Like 1

Glad to see the Carver Square condo project getting underway on N. Lombardy. This will be another outstanding addition to this redeveloping neighborhood. So cool to see this development getting underway while the Opus (center-right of the photo) is still under construction in the background.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/26/project-snapshot-site-work-starts-for-carver-square-condos/

(Photos courtesy of Richmond BizSense)

CarverSquare3-scaled.jpg

carversquarerendering1 (1).jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Went by Lowe's last night and picked up a few shots. It truly is impressive just how imposing and large this building is from Lowe's parking lot. I believe it's something like 12 stories - someone correct me please. Can't believe Jackson Ward is about to get an even bigger 12 story building with over 250+ units. Great example of building up on a footprint that isn't that big of a space. 

b2.jpg

b1.jpg

@ancientcarpenter-- thanks, my friend, for taking and posting these. It's a very impressive building - and as you said, constructed on not that large of a footprint. I can't wait for the Admiral to get under way in Jackson Ward. That will be an outstanding building and will be a game changer, I really believe.

Here's hoping the floodgates to high rise development in Monroe Ward, City Center, portions of the Arts District, in and around VCU-Academic Campus, West Broad (near the Opus), etc., will all swing open soon. If we could get a healthy number of high rise buildings going in this part of the city over the next 3 to 5 years, RVA will be poised for enormous growth over the back half of the decade.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

One gas station on the corner of the Lowe's lot was sold and is being turned into great apartments.

The gas station on the other corner is for sale. I'm hoping we can have a repeat!

Whoa…only .34 of an acre…not that big.  Not sure something substantial could go there - that’s a tiny plot and zoning isn’t right (I know they could get a SUP),   I don’t think this one is good for a tall apartment/condo complex.  I guess developers in NYC could do it (that’s a huge plot of land for them)!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Whoa…only .34 of an acre…not that big.  Not sure something substantial could go there - that’s a tiny plot and zoning isn’t right (I know they could get a SUP),   I don’t think this one is good for a tall apartment/condo complex.  I guess developers in NYC could do it (that’s a huge plot of land for them)!

The Opus Ascend lot is just over half an acre at 0.58 combined and that has a rather girthy footprint.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

One gas station on the corner of the Lowe's lot was sold and is being turned into great apartments.

The gas station on the other corner is for sale. I'm hoping we can have a repeat!

Someone had posted here a while ago this was for sale but this is the first proof ive seen. 

With the zoning change requiring less parking I wonder if Lowes puts up a piece of their parking lot up for sale adjacent to this lot.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

Someone had posted here a while ago this was for sale but this is the first proof ive seen. 

With the zoning change requiring less parking I wonder if Lowes puts up a piece of their parking lot up for sale adjacent to this lot.

I love that we have a Lowes (and Kroger) in the middle of our city, it's so convenient. However, Lowes has plenty of parking and it would be great to sell some of it. You almost could cut Lowe's parking lot in half and it would be okay....very tight, but okay. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

A deep enough plot of land that's not much more than one doorway and window-width wide is large enough for NYC developers to raise a 150-story condo tower!

What's the zoning on the .34 acre lot?

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Totally agreed! The flair of the signage of the Summit is sweet looking at night when it's all lit up. It's things like these that are giving Broad Street in particular -- and RVA as a whole -- a new, fresh, much-needed uplift to the look, feel and vibe. From a photographic perspective, I love the fact that the Scott's Addition PULSE station is right there, almost right in front of the Summit, less than half a block east. RVA never had this vibe before now -- this was more the domain of other cities that were really on the move and really up-and-coming. Not any more!! I'm loving this!

615290c47b6c507117cfa3deecb5652a.jpg

I also like the look of Summit and think it will tie in well with Soda Flats (if that ever happens).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

I also like the look of Summit and think it will tie in well with Soda Flats (if that ever happens).

Fully agreed, Ice. 

What's doing with the Soda Flats?  Are we any closer to breaking ground? Especially with the Outlier getting ready to roll just around the corner on A.A. Blvd, it would be nice if the Soda Flats was actually happening now, too.

@I miss RVA

@Icetera

See link here - i don't think we are the only one's frustrated - development resource requested status from the city beginning of this year - received letter back from Planning last week. looks like a demolition and building permit are still pending. See attachment ZCL

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/ad0b02e6-7d98-45a7-a0e0-fbbd769919ad?tab=attachments

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

@I miss RVA

@Icetera

See link here - i don't think we are the only one's frustrated - development resource requested status from the city beginning of this year - received letter back from Planning last week. looks like a demolition and building permit are still pending. See attachment ZCL

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/ad0b02e6-7d98-45a7-a0e0-fbbd769919ad?tab=attachments

So for simpletons such as myself, the question I have is: so... what exactly is the hold-up?

Edited by I miss RVA