Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

23 hours ago, whw53 said:

Ok, hopefully not over-reacting...but went by the Opus site about an hour ago at Lombardy\Broad...there have definitely been some changes at the gas station over the past week. All the Sunoco plating\branding is down from the pump ceiling and it looks like its been stripped to the colors (Amoco or Exxon?) prior to it switching to Sunoco. It is still open but if i'm interpreting that right it could be they are beginning the process of stripping this down for an upcoming demoiltion....

Please God!! Time to get the Opus project moving forward and have this building rise!

21 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Scott is the worst.   He has been in Richmond long enough to know better too.  
In the 15 years or so he has been harassing people over proposed changes to Oregon Hill, the neighborhood has languished.   He wants to keep it shabby so that his property taxes stay low. 

I’ve sparred with him over the Monroe Park Rennovation, BRT, Whole Foods...you name it.  I’m pretty close to those people ideologically  but they are so provincial in their thinking. I’ve spent the weekend in Milwaukee and Chicago.  I’ve seen things that should work in Richmond and I’m over those that aren’t willing to think bigger.

.....and Charleston can suck it.  Boston should be the model for Richmond. 

Hear!! Hear!! (as the old-time Brits & early Virginians would say. I agree with you 10,000% Brent. Man oh man... WTF was his problem with BRT for Christ's sake? He's all the way over in Oregon Hill - what's his deal?

Absolutely spot on. They should flush this BS comparison to Charleston down the toilet -- and set their sites on cities like Boston or Philadelphia if they want a city to model/emulate. I honestly don't get these nutcases. Maybe you can help me understand. You mentioned you're close to them ideologically. How so? I'm asking legitimately hoping you can help me understand their position - because from an urban planning, economic growth, "what's best for Richmond" (or ANY city for that matter), their position makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever - and never has. I'd love to understand this.

8 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Yes.   A historically rich city major city with a modern economy should be Richmond's goal, not some living museum.

THANK YOU!!! That's an ideologic uppercut that NEEDS to be delivered to these nutjob "historic" (hysteric is more like it!) NIMBY preservationists.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whw53 said:

Rezoning will be heading to city council tonight ! it looks like they are done pushing this out AND they are holding firm with the B-4 along Broad. Let's go!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/09/28/pulse-rezonings-head-for-council-vote-despite-opposition-over-heights/

PLEASE GOD let this rezoning pass!!!

OK - to rebut some points from folks quoted in the RBiz article:

“City Hall is 19 stories tall. Can you imagine that next to the Fan? It just doesn’t make any sense,” said Jonathan Marcus, a West Grace Street resident and president of RVA Coalition of Concerned Civic Associations, which is part of the group that includes associations for Carver and Newtowne West.

YES!!!! I can TOTALLY imagine it! PLEASE GOD IT SHOULD COME TO PASS!!! The Fan and the entirety of Midtown will benefit GREATLY from taller, higher-density buildings along and north of Broad. NO ONE is talking about putting up a 100-story building in the middle of the Fan, for Christ's sake. Will these folks PLEASE wake the F up???!!!

Looking at the renderings in the RBiz article - someone please tell me: HOW does this type of development "diminish" the quality of the Fan - or Richmond - in any conceivable way? I'm just not able to wrap my head around that level of BS.

28R-Pulse3rendering3.jpg

HOW exactly does a 16-story building on W. Leigh Street - or buildings taller than 12 stories on Broad or Hermitage "detract" from the Fan? Can someone PLEASE explain this to me?

28R-Pulse3rendering2.jpg

There's more. This from Ashley Peace, president of Sauer Properties:

“We have a lot more to do and a lot more that we can do, and we’ve just been waiting to see if the city was going to pass this rezoning initiative, because that really would give us the flexibility to develop a Class A mixed-use project there,” said Peace, who told the commission such development would include medium- to high-density uses including office and residential.

“We have the potential to develop almost a new neighborhood that a market like Richmond has never seen before, but which is very common in all other major markets — particularly throughout the Southeast,” she said. “We understand the importance of that, and that we get one shot and it has to be done very well.”

HELLO!!! McFLY!?!?! What's not to like about this? This is the kind of stuff Charlotte, Atlanta and, by way of a better comparison, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore ... have done FOR YEARS!!! It's Richmond's turn! That we have a big player like Sauer ready to step up to the plate to hammer a few home runs out of the park for Richmond SHOULD excite EVERYONE!

Has anyone reached out to their Coucil representative to put their voice in for a YES vote on rezoning? Time's ticking - maybe take 1 or 2 minutes this afternoon and put that phone call in - or send that email. Let the Council know that there is ample support for this rezoning to pass. It is a MUST for Richmond -- and I believe it will be a game-changer every bit as important as the Jet Blue direct-flights to the west news we got a couple of weeks ago. Let's go pedal-to-the-metal to turn Richmond into the major city she can be!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

There's more. This from Ashley Peace, president of Sauer Properties:

“We have a lot more to do and a lot more that we can do, and we’ve just been waiting to see if the city was going to pass this rezoning initiative, because that really would give us the flexibility to develop a Class A mixed-use project there,” said Peace, who told the commission such development would include medium- to high-density uses including office and residential.

“We have the potential to develop almost a new neighborhood that a market like Richmond has never seen before, but which is very common in all other major markets — particularly throughout the Southeast,” she said. “We understand the importance of that, and that we get one shot and it has to be done very well.”

A friend of mine, who is fairly connected to the Development industry here, mentioned a 20+ story building adjacent to the DMV/Sauer Center.   I asked if he meant the rezoning process or if he was confused with Opus, and he said, "no, it's kind of the project that spearheaded the whole process".  So take that with a grain of salt, but it does somewhat line up with what Ashley Peace is saying above.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

A friend of mine, who is fairly connected to the Development industry here, mentioned a 20+ story building adjacent to the DMV/Sauer Center.   I asked if he meant the rezoning process or if he was confused with Opus, and he said, "no, it's kind of the project that spearheaded the whole process".  So take that with a grain of salt, but it does somewhat line up with what Ashley Peace is saying above.

https://gfycat.com/acceptableblackandwhiteamericanavocet

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

Again, PLEASE GOD!!  Now here's where archetecture could REALLLLLY make a difference. Most of the mock-ups we see show buildings with flat tops. Ok... how about something a little fancier with a pointed top? Maybe with a spire on top? Atlanta, Charlotte, Philadelphia (just to name a few cities not named New York or Chicago) sport such spire-topped towers on their skyline. What about a 20-plus story building on that Broad Street DMV/Sauer Center site that rises 500, or 600 (or more) feet including the spire? Who says the tallest building in Richmond necessarily has to be downtown? Spire-topped buildings -- properly designed -- usually have sufficient progressive setbacks that even with the city's rather low-budged 4:1 setback/height ratio (I'm sorry - can we make it 8:1? 10:1? or more?) especially given the width of Broad Street, and we could REALLLLLLY get a signature-height building with a signature point with a spire on top. Keep in mind that so long as the spire is actually built into the archetecture of the building and is seen as an integral design element - and not just a communications town a la City Hall - it counts toward the height of the building in feet. So what if Richmond gets a 600 or 700-foot-tall building on Broad Street that perhaps as much as 20 percent is the declining slope plus spire? It would be pretty darn awsome is what!

Good God, I'm gonna be on pins and needles until I hear news about tonight's vote.

The more I think about what Ashley Peace is saying - the more I see this part of town becoming something akin to Midown Atlanta - which has it's own very distinctive skyline.

Now - no clue how Atlanta's actual city population may grow or decline over the next 17 years - BUT - if Richmond were to hit the projected 340,000 city population by 2037 - and Atlanta city stayed more or less the same (currently 420,000) - while there obviously would still be a HUGE difference in the metro population size, the CITY population size would not be all that different - just 90,000 give or take. Were Richmond actually able to maintain a really hot growth rate past 2037 - wouldn't it be something if in, say, 25 years Richmond passed Atlanta in population. Vastly different metro populations, I realize, but it would certainly be interesting to see!

Edited by I miss RVA

10 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Ok just watched the whole meeting - i guess I missed this, it was never explicitly brought up...i guess it was on the consent agenda or got pushed??

I knew it!  They can’t make a freaking decision!!  I knew they’d delay this one...AGAIN!

Hopefully was on the consent agenda. 

Edited by eandslee

WHY WHY WHY WHY can't they just effing VOTE on this damn thing???? Can they get their collective heads out of their backsides for once and just do their jobs? And do something POSITIVE for the city? Much as I would have liked NH to come to pass this past year, THIS up-zoning change, quite frankly, is light years more important than NH EVER was. IT IS A CRITICAL RICHMOND GAME-CHANGER. It needs... NEEDS... to happen.

Jesus... They CANNOT -- MUST NOT -- MESS THIS UP!!!

How to find out if it was placed on the consent agenda?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

Big disappointment - it was NOT on the consent agenda and was originally listed on the regular agenda meaning this action was pulled and will be re-scheduled again for a later date.  Really to bad, shame on city government for bending over to the unfounded concerns of these elitist neighborhood associations. This should be an easy YES vote, groundwork for this was already laid down in the Pulse corridor plan, THAT was the comment period - this is BROAD STREET and Broad Street should mean business. 

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Big disappointment - it was NOT on the consent agenda and was originally listed on the regular agenda meaning this action was pulled and will be re-scheduled again for a later date.  Really to bad, shame on city government for bending over to the unfounded concerns of these elitist neighborhood associations. This should be an easy YES vote, groundwork for this was already laid down in the Pulse corridor plan, THAT was the comment period - this is BROAD STREET and Broad Street should mean business. 

Shaking my head. Utterly, grossly and profoundly pathetic...  With THIS Council, ANY delayed vote is a harbinger of doom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Thanks for the link. Looks like most people are fired up because City Council wants to kick the can again. 

Also, here is a quote from the RTD article regarding this delay.  Someone needs to whack Chris Hilbert up side the head and knock some sense into him!  I think he’s also the same councilman that said back in February that it is best that Richmond go for the doubles and singles rather than home-run type developments (using a baseball analogy).  I don’t think too highly of this guy. 

Regarding the Pulse Corridor Plan:

”The plan seeks to create a more pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly environment around each Pulse station by amending the zoning on lots near the bus line’s platforms and establishing new urban design standards governing building setbacks and appearance, parking, landscaping and commercial activity at the street level.

An example of such a development in the project area is a planned 12-story, 168-unit apartment building where a Sunoco gas station is currently at 1600 W. Broad St. The City Council approved the project earlier this year despite opposition from some residents in the Fan District and other nearby neighborhoods who feared it would lead to traffic congestion and parking issues.

Councilman Chris Hilbert said he hesitantly voted for the project earlier this year, but planned to vote against the zoning proposals Monday because residents are concerned about the potential for 20-story buildings.

“I think that’s too high,” he said. “We want to encourage density along this corridor. I just think we need to do it in a smart way that doesn’t undermine the architectural integrity of existing neighborhoods.”

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thanks for the link. Looks like most people are fired up because City Council wants to kick the can again. 

Also, here is a quote from the RTD article regarding this delay.  Someone needs to whack Chris Hilbert up side the head and knock some sense into him!  I think he’s also the same councilman that said back in February that it is best that Richmond go for the doubles and singles rather than home-run type developments (using a baseball analogy).  I don’t think too highly of this guy. 

Regarding the Pulse Corridor Plan:

”The plan seeks to create a more pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly environment around each Pulse station by amending the zoning on lots near the bus line’s platforms and establishing new urban design standards governing building setbacks and appearance, parking, landscaping and commercial activity at the street level.

An example of such a development in the project area is a planned 12-story, 168-unit apartment building where a Sunoco gas station is currently at 1600 W. Broad St. The City Council approved the project earlier this year despite opposition from some residents in the Fan District and other nearby neighborhoods who feared it would lead to traffic congestion and parking issues.

Councilman Chris Hilbert said he hesitantly voted for the project earlier this year, but planned to vote against the zoning proposals Monday because residents are concerned about the potential for 20-story buildings.

“I think that’s too high,” he said. “We want to encourage density along this corridor. I just think we need to do it in a smart way that doesn’t undermine the architectural integrity of existing neighborhoods.”

"Architectural integrity" ... Jesus Christ, just gag me already.

WTF is the matter with these peoploe?? It's NOT like someone is proposing to put a 100-story glass building on Monuement Avenue! Having bigger buildings on Broad Street "detracts" from the Fan ... HOW??? And since the zoning would cover areas WELL NORTH of Broad - can someone PLEASE explain to me how having a 16 or 20 story building at Hermitage and Leigh will detract from the Fan?

These nutcases just don't want Richmond to BE ANYTHING. God-forbid she actually become a REAL city!!!

eandslee: do you have the link to the RTD article handy?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

"Architectural integrity" ... Jesus Christ, just gag me already.

WTF is the matter with these peoploe?? It's NOT like someone is proposing to put a 100-story glass building on Monuement Avenue! Having bigger buildings on Broad Street "detracts" from the Fan ... HOW??? And since the zoning would cover areas WELL NORTH of Broad - can someone PLEASE explain to me how having a 16 or 20 story building at Hermitage and Leigh will detract from the Fan?

These nutcases just don't want Richmond to BE ANYTHING. God-forbid she actually become a REAL city!!!

eandslee: do you have the link to the RTD article handy?

https://richmond.com/news/city-council-delays-vote-on-pulse-corridor-rezoning-due-to-residents-concerns-about-potential-20/article_58fd5710-4f87-5290-b799-891f68823780.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Hilbert is so full of crap.  Here’s what he said when he voted in favor of the Opus project:

“This absolutely fits hand and glove with the BRT Pulse system,” said Chris Hilbert, the council’s vice president, whose 3rd District includes the property where the building is planned.

Hesitant?

He's TOTALLY full of crap. WTF is this "undermind the archetectural integrity of existing neighborhoods" BS???  I could understand his position if someone was actively proposing putting a 100-story glass tower on Monument Avenue. As much as I want progress and am pro-development at almost all costs, even **I** would oppose such a proposal. But for Christ's sake - HOW... HOW does having taller buildings on the NORTH SIDE OF BROAD "detract" from the Fan? How does having towers up and down Hermitage Road - especially going farther north where there only exists either vacant lots or abandoned industrial buildings "detract" from the Fan?  HOW can putting a highrise up at Hermitage and Leigh "undermine" existing neighborhoods?? SERIOUSLY!!! I want to know!

Turning that part of Richmond into something akin to Midtown Atlanta is a win-win in every possible way for the city. Increased density. Increased population. Increased tax revenue. Increased viability for retail and other business. Reduction in desolate, run-down real estate. How is a complete overhaul - replete with highrise development - ANY different than what's happening in Scott's Addition on Manchester? Simple: IT'S NOT!!! And they worry about 20-story buildings - REALLY???? I'd be more worried about developable land sitting there rotting for a few more decades while Richmond blows YET ANOTHER golden opportunity to step up to the big leagues. Maybe I'm missing something, but a YES vote on zoning is such a slam dunk it's ridiculous. EVERYONE WINS!!! A growing Richmond is a better Richmond. A bigger Richmond is a better Richmond. 

Yeah, I'm P.O.'d to the point I am spitting nails right now. As I mentioned previously, this up-zoning is light-years more important for Richmond than NH EVER was. There's no comparison.  Much as I would have liked the components of NH to get built, I understand why it was/is problematic. But THIS??? The city wouldn't have to invest a single dime - all the development would be organic. Big Richmond players are ready to step up to the plate with Louisville Slugger in hand to hammer a few home runs out of the park for the city. A total "hit the reset button" of this part of town would be an epic game-changer for Richmond -- and make that 340,000 population figure by 2037 more reachable (maybe even higher!!) This is as important as Jet Blue coming here with direct flights to Vegas and LAX. 

So WHAT exactly is the hangup?

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Thank you kindly!!

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

A construction fence is going up at Broad and Lombardy.

the poles are being driven into the pavement along the Broad Street stretch.  They mean business! 

0149CB4E-CF77-4CC2-AD22-A8CAD6067DC7.jpeg

Great great news! Love the timing - almost a 'shove it' to the those who shut down the rezoning earlier in the week. Even though it is inadequate as a default route, thank god for the SUP process that got this one through. Remember this land is still zoned M-1 technically and no residential is even allowed by right or as a conditional use in that district -  on Broad Street .... tell me that isn't outdated - insane.  

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Richmonder23 said:

Uh oh... what's going to happen to the Fan with all the extra shadow?? Will it wilt away forever? :rolleyes::lol:

yeppppp... the shadow that ALWAYS goes in the OPPOSITE direction of the Fan given the fact that both the Fan - AND THE SUN - are positioned SOUTH of Broad and shadows bend NORTHWARD year around. OH THE DARKNESS... (for part of Lowes...) ROFL!! :lol::blink::whistling:

4 hours ago, Brent114 said:

A construction fence is going up at Broad and Lombardy.

the poles are being driven into the pavement along the Broad Street stretch.  They mean business! 

0149CB4E-CF77-4CC2-AD22-A8CAD6067DC7.jpeg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

And the timing - coming a day and a half after the non-vote debacle... reminiscent of Michael Jordan's EPIC dunk over 7"0 Mel Turpin in 1987 when the Bulls visited the Jazz and a Utah fan yelled at Jordan "how about pick on someone your own size" after he dunked over John Stockton on a mis-matched switch off. After Jordan posterized Turpin, he yelled back at the fan - "it THAT big enough for you?"

LOVE IT!!! Posterize these chumps!!!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3