Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

41 minutes ago, whw53 said:

More good news for this area - ORD 2020-205 &  ORD 2020-208 are on city council agenda for 10/12. This is in regards to the SUP and abandonment of right of way needed for the Carver Square project which will bring 92 staked condo units to Lombardy St. This project is most likely on the consent agenda. Carver Civic league supports this per attached letter. Looks like Lombardy St is about to be a construction zone at both ends.

legions.jpg

snip.jpg

snip2.jpg

FANTASTIC news!!! What are the nearest cross streets north and south of this project?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, majors2410 said:

The pumps are gone. Construction fencing laying on the ground. 

OK - to clarify - construction fencing that was already up has been taken down? Or additional construction fencing waiting to be installed is what's laying on the ground? I don't follow. Does this look like things are definitely moving forward?

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

OK - to clarify - construction fencing that was already up has been taken down? Or additional construction fencing waiting to be installed is what's laying on the ground? I don't follow. Does this look like things are definitely moving forward?

I’ve been told by a very credible source that this is definitely happening right now!  This is the start of construction for Opus.  No doubt!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

I think one of my favorite things about this project, outside of connecting Carver to VUU, is that the construction will be visible from the interstate.   A lot of people get their perception of Richmond by driving down I-95, and let's be honest, that's not the most impressive drive. This along with the new apartments on both sides of I-95,  Scotts Addition, Manchester, and the new towers at VCU/MCV are really starting to give the perception that Richmond isn't a sleepy town anymore.  

Completely 100% agree with this statement.  I have, for years, wished that Richmond would clean up its I-95 corridor so that it didn’t look so run-down and pitifully industrial (how hard is it just to do a street cleaning in the median, plant flowers, trees, take those stupid green things off the Jersey Barriers in the middle and come up with a cleaner and different idea, etc.?). Just those suggestions alone would be a huge improvement!  But yes, when everyone drives through and sees all the construction, eyebrows will be raised for sure!  Love it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Now the transfer of ownership of the DSS building: does that move the needle toward the $350 million redevelopment of that block? Would love to see that 20-story building rising across 10th St. from the new Outpatient Hospital Building in the near future.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Purely speculation, but what do you think of CarMax being behind the rumored tower?  I mean, they  are already moving some employees to the Sauer Center.  I’d think naming rights on a 20+ story tower within eyesight of I-95 would be pretty stellar.  As far as employee retention/recruitment, it would have awesome skyline views, nearby would be Whole Foods, breweries, ballpark, convention center, VCU and the Pulse line. They’ve also got the massive Carvana shop going up nearby. Can’t be overshadowed by their competitor in their hometown. 

Totally love it! It would be fantastic. Let's hope.

1 hour ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

There's a rumored tower in/near Sauer Center?

My bad - this was referring to the downtown block on Leigh Street across 10th from the new Outpatient Hospital - and the RBiz stories were referencing quite a wide swath of topics. I should have taken it over to the VCU developments page.

HOWEVER - wasn't there a tower of some kind at part of Sauer's overall plan for the property?

46 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

My bad - this was referring to the downtown block on Leigh Street across 10th from the new Outpatient Hospital - and the RBiz stories were referencing quite a wide swath of topics. I should have taken it over to the VCU developments page.

With new Bio tech section about to break ground and a lot more discussion to come for this area I think we need a Navy Hill\MCV\Va Bio+Tech Park thread in and of itself to capture everything north of Broad, between interstates and Jackson Ward.

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Ha, I was referring the one I mentioned a few days back.  Purely hearsay, but the friend is pretty connected and it lines up with what the article mentioned about the Sauer Center developer wanting a new project once the rezoning went through. 

The one at 10th and Leigh, right? If so, I thought that's the one you were referring to! :)

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

With new Bio tech section about to break ground and a lot more discussion to come for this area I think we need a Navy Hill\MCV\Va Bio+Tech Park thread in and of itself to capture everything north of Broad, between interstates and Jackson Ward.

Definitely. Excellent idea. Thank you for doing all this!