Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

Interesting comment from Bruce Milam (a prominent Richmond real estate figure) on the RBS article on this development this morning:

“ Broad Street appears to be exploding with apartment building growth. However, approximately 1 billion dollars of new development is tied up in the city’s planning review, permitting and inspections departments because of chronic staffing problems that harken back more than a decade. Resolving that issue, which is required by law, would free up about $15 MM in revenue annually to the city’s coffers which could be used to resolving public school, mental health, and affordable housing crises.”

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Richmonder23 said:

Excellent news! Hopefully this is only the start of new 10-20+ story towers on Broad.

AMEN!!!

6 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

It's official. Opus Group has purchased the Sunoco site. It's on. 

The station will be razed imminently so hole digging can begin for the underground parking garage. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/08/developer-buys-site-of-planned-12-story-broad-street-tower-for-3m/

FANTASTIC news!!!  That's one more project I can scratch off my "It's been announced but hasn't happened - PLEASE GOD LET IT HAPPEN!!" list :good:

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Interesting comment from Bruce Milam (a prominent Richmond real estate figure) on the RBS article on this development this morning:

“ Broad Street appears to be exploding with apartment building growth. However, approximately 1 billion dollars of new development is tied up in the city’s planning review, permitting and inspections departments because of chronic staffing problems that harken back more than a decade. Resolving that issue, which is required by law, would free up about $15 MM in revenue annually to the city’s coffers which could be used to resolving public school, mental health, and affordable housing crises.”

This needs to be resolved/fixed/straightened out. Period. We can't let $1B in new development basically do nothing other than sit around on desks at City Hall.

• Like 2

This quote from Ben Angelo of the Opus Group is VERY encouraging! Did anyone see this in the article? Let's hope and pray that this building is the first of MANY large-scale, high-density, highrise projects in Richmond from the folks at Opus.

"Angelo said Opus, with a portfolio of roughly 200 projects completed nationwide, would consider future projects in the Richmond region if the right opportunity arose."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

I think that once a project like this comes to fruition and is successful, the objections to others like it will fade.  In five years, Opus will be an integrated part of the streetscape and no one will remember the gas station.  No one will think that it impinges upon the "architectural integrity" of the Fan.  Instead, they'll be gushing over how Richmond feels like a big city.   Similar projects will sprout along Broad and no one will complain. 

I hope and pray you're right. All of US here on THIS forum certainly will feel that way. In my experience with the preservationist NIMBYs, however, I don't know that they'll ever warm up to anything short of shutting down progress and turning Richmond into a "living museum" (ummm... make that MAUSOLEUM) like Charleston or Savannah. (GOD FORBID!!!)

Wahoo - I hope and pray you're right!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

Ok, so management is the issue (not surprising).  Does The Mayor oversee that department or someone else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DalWill said:

Ok, so management is the issue (not surprising).  Does The Mayor oversee that department or someone else?

Richmond Planning Commission, if I had to guess. Not sure which of the nine members actually oversees this portion or how their administration function works.

Right Planning and Development Review (PDR)  is separate from Planning Commission. Planning Commission mostly reviews certain items for the City Council at their referral and this is only for those cases that need to go before city council - things like zoning variances, special use permits etc. PDR are more of the experts when it comes to plan review. They ensure that plans meet zoning requirements in the first place (if not then may refer them to that legislative process or any other board - BZA, CAR etc).   but probably spend more time reviewing utility connections, fire code standards, etc. AND for larger projects maybe make some design suggestions and\or consultation  (especially in PDO districts)- I know some developers have said that they work with PDR prior to formally submitting anything.  

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

Right Planning and Development Review (PDR)  is separate from Planning Commission. Planning Commission mostly reviews certain items for the City Council at their referral and this is only for those cases that need to go before city council - things like zoning variances, special use permits etc. PDR are more of the experts when it comes to plan review. They ensure that plans meet zoning requirements in the first place (if not then may refer them to that legislative process or any other board - BZA, CAR etc).   but probably spend more time reviewing utility connections, fire code standards, etc. AND for larger projects maybe make some design suggestions and\or consultation  (especially in PDO districts)- I know some developers have said that they work with PDR prior to formally submitting anything.  

Totally makes sense. Wonder then how their administrative function works if there is a huge backlog of projects waiting for approval that could be real game-changers for Richmond? 

• 2 weeks later...

Can't help but wonder what plans C.F. Sauer may have for the property, particularly if the City Council gets themselves together and finally approves the much-needed B-4 upzoning for that neighborhood.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/22/sauer-properties-pays-2m-to-add-warehouse-to-holdings-along-broad-street/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Can't help but wonder what plans C.F. Sauer may have for the property, particularly if the City Council gets themselves together and finally approves the much-needed B-4 upzoning for that neighborhood.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/10/22/sauer-properties-pays-2m-to-add-warehouse-to-holdings-along-broad-street/

Yeah, I don’t think they bought this property for rehabbing it. I’m sure they have big, tall plans for this land.  Just hope the rezoning passes.

• Like 2

I honestly think they will just rehab this building. There's no reason to tear it down for something taller when there are plenty of non-descript buildings and empty parking lots in the area for height. You also don't tend to build tall on side streets like the corner of Lodge and Clay.    This is a nice looking building and tearing it down to just build height, while there is controversy surrounding the rezoning, would be PR suicide. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Yeah, I don’t think they bought this property for rehabbing it. I’m sure they have big, tall plans for this land.  Just hope the rezoning passes.

From your keyboard to God's ears, my friend!

AMEN on the upzoning. That is absolutely a must.

45 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I honestly think they will just rehab this building. There's no reason to tear it down for something taller when there are plenty of non-descript buildings and empty parking lots in the area for height. You also don't tend to build tall on side streets like the corner of Lodge and Clay.    This is a nice looking building and tearing it down to just build height, while there is controversy surrounding the rezoning, would be PR suicide. 

That's a good point. PR is critical right now relative to the upzoning. We NEED this rezoning to pass.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Okay, I could be completely wrong on this one. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Okay, I could be completely wrong in this one. 

I don't think I'd go that far. I think quite a few of us would like to see something tall replace that warehouse. But it's a good point - those two streets are pretty narrow streets - and perhaps the best we might see (if they tore down that building) would be something in the 5 or 6 story range with setbacks. And, as rjp212 said, can't risk the PR messaging right now, especially when the NIMBYs in that part of town will vilify almost anything that's not "preservation"-minded.

I get that, but this lot isn’t conducive for a tall building. It’s a beautiful building on a narrow street. There’s literally parking lots and cheap metal buildings all around it to tear up.  Use those lots for something taller. I’m all for growth but I’d be pissed if they tore this down just for a stick built generic apartment building. 

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I get that but this lot isn’t conducive for a tall building. It’s a beautiful building on a narrow street. There’s literally parking lots and cheap metal buildings all around it to tear up.  Use those lots for something taller. I’m all for growth but I’d be pissed if they tore this down just for a stick built generic apartment building. 

I will second that.  This building could be integrated nicely into another taller structure on the adjacent undeveloped lot.

• Like 1