Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

This could’ve been avoided if the pulse plan and zoning matched up in building heights at the onset and densities/heights were stepped back from broad street (ie higher up tot he 20-stories as your go north into the industrial area where no one lives).

seems like planning grossly misplayed their hand here. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Is that what the neighborhoods suggested they would support?

Not sure. One strategy to address fears of massive differences in building heights and scales is to have stepped building heights. Don’t really know why this approach wasn’t taken with the zoning - there’s not much in Newtowne to stop that. 

having a potential wall of 20-story buildings on north side broad with 3-4 story buildings on southside broad side seems pretty weird to me.

The zoning denial just means developers can’t develop the height “by right”. They can still apply for a special use permit if they desire a higher building in than zoning allows - granted, it goes through the public process and approvals that adjoining interests seem to not want.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 4:25 PM, I miss RVA said:

But a question for you: exactly HOW realistic is it to expect there will be a "wall" of 20-plus story buildings lining the north side of Broad Street from Arthur Ashe Boulevard to VCU? C'mon - seriously?? This isn't Uptown Atlanta we're talking about here - where there's been development going on for decades. Will there MAYBE be a few highrises dotting the landscape along the north side of Broad? Maybe, yes. BIG maybe. We're only just now seeing the first couple of 12-story buildings rising (the Opus and the one planned forScott's Addition - and that one is on Marshall as it is) ... Honestly, it's a specious argument to assert there will be anything remotely resembling a "wall" of 20-story towers on the north side of Broad. Could it happen? Sure, anything can happen. Will it happen? Not in my lifetime - and I doubt in ANY of our lifetimes.

So if the NIMBYs are freaking out over this, they're either full of crap or are chasing ghosts where none exist.

Well it definitely won’t happen if the zoning doesn’t allow it. Wasn’t that the whole point of the neighborhood stink?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Given the little swatch of land next to the parking deck, this is probably the best we could have hoped for. I'm surprised the NIMBYs aren't up in arms about THIS one, tbh.

They would probably say it’s too tall and should only be two stories and then say it ruins the character of the neighborhood. Then they would complain about the traffic from it saying too many people come and go from here and generate too many people. They would find a million things to complain about it. I just feel like they are very unhappy people living very unhappy miserable lives since that’s all they seem to like to do whenever a project is proposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Hike said:

seeing this reminded me I should look for more on the project, here's the GC, looks like a few different images and will keep looking for the webcam, thanks for posting!

https://rabrengeneralcontractors.com/projects/opus-richmond/

Love the new renderings! This is exciting to see the Opus project really chugging along.

• Like 3