Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

2 hours ago, Ward Wood said:

Here’s an update! Was at Lowe’s yesterday and snapped 2 pics

6CE38BDF-A938-4AC0-9DA0-EAFD5DAD873D.jpeg

7E8E0CB4-F1BB-4C5D-90FD-BE27292E7448.jpeg

I was at that Lowe’s on Saturday and they were coming along with the tower crane. It’s going to look good when completed. I’m excited for this project. My wife and I were getting some lumber for a friend of ours since I have a truck. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A change in members of the Planning Commission and a change to proposed upzoning along W. Broad Street. The NIMBY's no doubt are licking their chops - as it looks like planners are scuttling B-4 zoning altogether and dialing it back to TOD-1. This just feels like a lateral move in terms of Richmond growth, not the forward step that B-4 designation would bring. Perhaps the most prescient quote comes from Acting Planning Director Kevin Vonck:

He (Vonck) added, “TOD-1 does allow for a significant amount of density, but not nearly as much potentially as what a B-4 zoning would do.”

And yet - it's Vonck who is the chief proponent of scaling back the up-zoning from B-4 to TOD-1. He ADMITS to the waste of potential for increasing density in this part of the city. Yet - he's driving the process down this road.

So once again, it looks like the city is caving the to the loud complaints of the noisy rabble who seem to forget the architectural adage that "form follows function." Obviously to them, it's the other way around. And once again, the city seems all too ready to sacrifice 'function' at the altar of form to appease the architectural nutjobs.  So too it appears that one of the pillars of good urban planning - "highest and best use" is being readily thrown out the window by scaling back the upzoning - and -- again -- Vonck essentially ADMITS that!

I find it very difficult to get excited by this. Regardless of whether this is better than what is in place currently, I argue that wasted potential is exactly that - a waste. What a shame.

While certainly nothing has yet been etched into stone, I think it's safe to say it's already pretty much a done deal. Will developers who want to build bigger in this area decide to go elsewhere with their projects? Or will they submit to jumping through the flaming hoops of the SUP process, knowing full well the NIMBYs will do everything short of burning down the city to stop anything of any appreciable size from being built there?

To say I'm unhappy about this directional change by the Planning Commission is an understatement of Cecil B. DeMille proportions.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/21/city-planners-come-back-with-new-proposal-for-pulse-zoning-changes/

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

A change in members of the Planning Commission and a change to upzoning along W. Broad Street. The NIMBY's no doubt are licking their chops - as it looks like planners are scuttling B-4 zoning altogether and dialing it back to TOD-1. This just feels like a lateral move in terms of Richmond growth, not the forward step that B-4 designation would bring. Perhaps the most prescient quote comes from Acting Planning Director Vonck:

He (Vonck) added, “TOD-1 does allow for a significant amount of density, but not nearly as much potentially as what a B-4 zoning would do.”

And yet - it's Vonck who is the chief proponent of scaling back the zoning from B-4 to TOD-1. He ADMITS to the waste of potential for increasing density in this part of the city. Yet - he's driving the process down this road.

So once again, it looks like the city it caving the to the loud complaints of the noisy rabble who seem to forget the architectural adage that "form follows function." Obviously to them, it's the other way around. And once again, the city seems all too ready to sacrifice 'function' at the altar of form to appease the architectural nutjobs. I find it very difficult to get excited by this. Regardless of whether this is better than what is in place currently, I argue that wasted potential is exactly that - a waste. What a shame.

While certainly nothing has yet been etched into stone, I think it's safe to say it's already pretty much a done deal. Will developers who want to build bigger in this area decide to go elsewhere with their projects? Or will they submit to jumping through the flaming hoops of the SUP process, knowing full well the NIMBYs will do everything but burn down the city to stop anything of any appreciable size?

To say I'm unhappy about this directional change by the Planning Commission is an understatement of Cecil B. DeMille proportions.

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/21/city-planners-come-back-with-new-proposal-for-pulse-zoning-changes/

I said in the Scott's Addition forum if they are able to squeeze out a few 15-16 floor buildings as the max, we good. But, THE DIAMOND/BALLPARK has to be B-4, hands down. That's our uptown!   I think the DMV area will remain B-4.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DalWill said:

I said in the Scott's Addition forum if they are able to squeeze out a few 15-16 floor buildings as the max, we good. But, THE DIAMOND/BALLPARK has to be B-4, hands down. That's our uptown!   I think the DMV area will remain B-4.

At least - thankfully - they're not proposing to down-zone that B-4 swath. I noticed only after I had posted here that you had posted this over in the Scott's forum. Apologies for the duplication.

1 minute ago, I miss RVA said:

At least - thankfully - they're not proposing to down-zone that B-4 swath. I noticed only after I had posted here that you had posted this over in the Scott's forum. Apologies for the duplication.

No prob. But I understand your frustration.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A 'Moore St portfolio' of undeveloped land in the Newtowne neighborhood is on the market. This is an expansion of what was previously only the tract closest to Leigh which has been on the market for some time.

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/KPpPxRALtfTFD5AAvYdId3zRENfQXp8Yy4aSRn__Yyg/Email PKG Moore Street Portfolio.pdf

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Moore-Street-Portfolio/23281343/

Land is in opportunity zone, hopefully we get a bite here. Something dense like the Carver Square product would be great to see. 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, whw53 said:

A 'Moore St portfolio' of undeveloped land in the Newtowne neighborhood is on the market. This is an expansion of what was previously only the tract closest to Leigh which has been on the market for some time.

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/KPpPxRALtfTFD5AAvYdId3zRENfQXp8Yy4aSRn__Yyg/Email PKG Moore Street Portfolio.pdf

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/Moore-Street-Portfolio/23281343/

Land is in opportunity zone, hopefully we get a bite here. Something dense like the Carver Square product would be great to see. 

I'm more shocked at the fact Richmond is potentially over 250k within 5 mile radius, correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by DalWill
  • Like 1

Looks like the city has fully caved to the architecture NIMBYs regarding Carver/Newtowne/Allison up-zoning. They're putting a limit (absent using the SUP process) at 12 stories for buildings along the north side of Broad Street - and ONLY SIX STORIES along Hermitage, Leigh and close to Belvidere (according to how this story is written - but that's not as clear as it could be).  It also looks like they're punting in that they are planning to rely HEAVILY on the SUP process - and the NIMBYs quite unfortunately have a pretty solid track record when it comes to delaying, diminishing, or derailing projects altogether during the SUP process. This is NOT the direction we should be going!

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch/Richmond.com:

https://richmond.com/news/local/richmond-launches-second-attempt-at-west-broad-street-rezoning-after-backlash-to-plans-allowing-20/article_f7eac1ad-09aa-5727-a617-683dd0375e78.html

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Sad 3

27 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

I drive by this every day. Weird to me that they are putting in wall framing before the structural supports. 

Yeah, I saw that in the photos and I’m thinking that’s really weird.  Also, construction seems to be going pretty slow. 

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

A couple quick photos of the opus development at Lombardy and Broad from this AM  

5559E830-1EF9-408F-9565-D76F05B4DB6E.jpeg

5F97C01C-39CB-4C8B-9201-0461E6361EA6.jpeg

Much appreciated, Coupe! Always a really good feeling to see these projects actually rising out of the ground. Hopefully we'll see quite a few more of those announced actually getting underway in this back half of 2021.

City Council approves the upzoning (such as it is) for north of Broad. Unfortunately, the NIMBYs won in blocking B-4 zoning. Getting TOD-1 zoning (and not the originally proposed B-4) along this stretch of Broad feels at best like 'settling' and at worst like a TOTAL sellout to the squeaky wheels who oppose EVERYTHING. I'm surprised also by the amount of B-7 zoning farther north along Hermitage. Am I the only one exceptionally underwhelmed by all of this, or is anyone else also feeling the pain?

From Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/07/27/greater-scotts-addition-north-of-fan-zoning-changes-okd-by-city-council/

P.S. - there has been no reporting on this story at the time of this post from the Times-Dispatch.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here's the Times-Dispatch's reporting on the subject: interesting it gets buried as the back-half of a story about an AirBnB tree house... or something. I didn't really look at the top part of the story.

https://richmond.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/richmond-city-council-approves-special-permit-for-treehouse-airbnb-rezoning-plan-for-west-broad/article_8f770200-c944-5b9c-b74a-3487b71bd5fd.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

5 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It’s progress though. I’ll take it!

It's better than nothing, I'll agree. Maybe down the road some of these parcels can be further stretched to get building heights a little higher without too much NIMBY pushback. I worry if projects start having to go through the SUP process through. 

Edited by I miss RVA