Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

I've seen the for sale sign on this lot last 6-8 months and figured that warehouse would be carved into apartments and the lot into attached homes - wow, this project could be really neat - the renovated factory building and shipping container layout an awesome ode to Carver's industrial past while also creating flex space for Carver to move past just being a bedroom neighborhood to VCU. I have a friend on the opposite side of the block, says this, right at the center of the neighborhood at Clay & Harrison  is exactly what the neighborhood needs. I hope the demand is there to really fill this space with interesting users. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/08/10/former-carver-power-station-set-for-mixed-use-revival-after-1-6m-sale/

ps. great week - we have some updating to do on the dev map dont we - i'll try to get to that later today!

Edited by whw53
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, whw53 said:

A series of zoning confirmation letters filed last week sheds some light on the future of these tracts. Dobrin Homes plans to take the light industrial lots opposite each other at Moore & Middlesex, subdivide them, and build duplex style housing - 8 units on each side. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/c48698ef-a854-4c6b-b4f8-7fcf1c08a5fc

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/7ebf53cf-7b5f-4f2e-99ef-ce16edc74d60

The larger lot fronting the tracks off Dineen St is set for something denser - from comment description - 'Multi-family, more than 50 units. Existing use: Commercial. Proposed use: Residential. Build 123 apartment units with 123 parking spaces.'

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/20fb3929-8ad8-4f7d-bff9-0586749e8ff8

newtowne_tracts.JPG

Wow! The hits just keep coming! FIrst - three projects last week in Manchester - plus more upzoning requests. Now Novel in Scott's, duplexes in Randolph, and some good density here in the northern part of Carver. 

Looks like August's break in the fast-and-furious world of development announcements was just a brief pause for the RVA real estate market to simply catch its breath and get its second wind for 2021. This really is amazing to see!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, whw53 said:

A series of zoning confirmation letters filed last week sheds some light on the future of these tracts. Dobrin Homes plans to take the light industrial lots opposite each other at Moore & Middlesex, subdivide them, and build duplex style housing - 8 units on each side. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/c48698ef-a854-4c6b-b4f8-7fcf1c08a5fc

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/7ebf53cf-7b5f-4f2e-99ef-ce16edc74d60

The larger lot fronting the tracks off Dineen St is set for something denser - from comment description - 'Multi-family, more than 50 units. Existing use: Commercial. Proposed use: Residential. Build 123 apartment units with 123 parking spaces.'

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/20fb3929-8ad8-4f7d-bff9-0586749e8ff8

newtowne_tracts.JPG

Wish they'd plant some screening landscape along Leigh, looking into the back of those houses and dirt patch with random cars parked on it looks so dumpy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

Wish they'd plant some screening landscape along Leigh, looking into the back of those houses and dirt patch with random cars parked on it looks so dumpy.

Does anyone happen to know the history of Leigh Street in that part of town? Obviously it was realigned - (I would imagine there were houses where the earth patch and the westbound lanes of Leigh are now). What's the history? Curious to know when it got realigned and why. OR - even if the streets general alignment was unchanged, why was that stretch from just east of Dineen Street to N. Myers Street was widened to four lanes, divided with a median? I cannot imagine that -- back in the day -- that was a four-lane divided street. (Does this qualify as a "stroad"? I know Midlothian Turnpike, West Broad Street Road, Hull Street Road, etc., are legit "stroads" ... )

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Does anyone happen to know the history of Leigh Street in that part of town? Obviously it was realigned - (I would imagine there were houses where the earth patch and the westbound lanes of Leigh are now). What's the history? Curious to know when it got realigned and why. OR - even if the streets general alignment was unchanged, why was that stretch from just east of Dineen Street to N. Myers Street was widened to four lanes, divided with a median? I cannot imagine that -- back in the day -- that was a four-lane divided street. (Does this qualify as a "stroad"? I know Midlothian Turnpike, West Broad Street Road, Hull Street Road, etc., are legit "stroads" ... )

b09eb325114b3d612c89efd660db7627.jpg

In looking at old maps, Leigh was initially a "normal" city street that started at 15th street which no longer exists due to I95 and went straight to Belvidere.  Between the construction of I95 in 1958, the Coliseum in 1971, and the Leigh St Viaduct (MLK Bridge) in 1976 it went to 4 lanes with a median, a dip, and added some curves.  On the west end Leigh dead ended at Hermitage as that was the edge of the city, initially the VA State Agricultural Society grounds, later Broad St Station.

USGS_map_of_Richmond,_Virginia_in_1934_(

After the train station was built it looks like Leigh still dead ended at Hermitage, but a new Leigh St on the other side in Scott's Addition had been built that essentially lined up if you drew a straight line off the original end of Leigh, but they never connected.  Obviously at some point the stretch between Hermitage and Boulevard was completed, would be interested to know if that was initially 4 lanes or was widened later.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

why was that stretch from just east of Dineen Street to N. Myers Street was widened to four lanes, divided with a median? I cannot imagine that -- back in the day -- that was a four-lane divided street.

It was four lanes West of Hermitage until they converted to bike lanes a couple years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-posting the photos of the two buildings - for comparison and to show how much RVA's cityscape really is changing.

The Opus and the Icon have really changed the cityscape along the Broad Street corridor when looking east down Broad toward the buildings.  The other new construction - while not necessarily as prominent - is contributing to a much more robust cityscape/street scape. The Ella and even the Summit in the picture looking at the Icon are part of the change - and if you look all the way behind City Hall in the Opus picture, you can see just HOW TALL the Children's Hospital actually is along the Marshall Street side.

These two pictures really show how much Richmond is growing - and that she is a city on the move. The entire Broad Street corridor is transforming before our eyes. I can't help but believe the best is yet to come.

2A55B508-60DD-46E4-8987-317FB3C1FCFC.jpeg.4f182b7250e7e75ae77fca1ba96524b4.jpeg

E2D2936F-5B8C-4956-9DBF-1B607F53B3EE.jpeg.cee3c36920ca53853e995fd489b0f915.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Yeah would love more of this density along this corridor. Downtown to 195 would be awesome. 

Fully agreed, Coupe - especially if we could sprinkle in a couple of projects where developers secure SUPs and go past the 12-story limit. I wouldn't mind a few 14 to 17-story buildings mixed in along the way. I'm keeping it at those heights because of the NIMBYs - I think it would take an act of the Divine to get anything much above 17 stories built along this stretch. Even them, I'm guessing that an SUP for 13 or 14 stories would be much more realistic in terms of having a snowball's chance of being approved.

5 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Fully agreed, Coupe - especially if we could sprinkle in a couple of projects where developers secure SUPs and go past the 12-story limit. I wouldn't mind a few 14 to 17-story buildings mixed in along the way. I'm keeping it at those heights because of the NIMBYs - I think it would take an act of the Divine to get anything much above 17 stories built along this stretch. Even them, I'm guessing that an SUP for 13 or 14 stories would be much more realistic in terms of having a snowball's chance of being approved.

I wonder if going through the SUP process is even worth it to a developer for only 1 to 2 more floors?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Icetera said:

I wonder if going through the SUP process is even worth it to a developer for only 1 to 2 more floors?

Other than I guess the cost of filing, would there be any additional costs involved? If a developer was able to get a decent ROI for a few extra floors, it might be worth it.

21 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Time and risk to go through the SUP process. Honestly, we would be pretty spoiled if we were to densify this corridor with a bunch of 10-12 story building. 

Oh, I agree totally, Coupe. We really would be spoiled to have such densification. I'm greedy though - and I wonder -if we DID really start getting dense with 10-12 story buildings along this corridor, depending on LOCATION - if the city might be most agreeable to play ball with a few developers who wanted to put up something, say, 15-17 stories? Again, it comes down to "location, location, location..." but ... it would be wonderful to see a few taller buildings sprinkled in.

NOTE - the Diamond District or Great Scott's Addition or whatever it's going to be called - is zoned TOD-1 - yet the Richmond 300 renderings show several buildings 15, 16, 17 stories along Arthur Ashe Boulevard.

Edited by I miss RVA