Mid City (1501 Broadway, 8 acres on Broadway, 7 towers of 20-35 stories, 1.3 million sq. ft. office, 1,000 residential units, 150,000 sq. ft. commercial/retail)

markhollin

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

Do you have an aerial shot of this land? Thanks

I know the deal Mayor Cooper "scrapped" was a deal where the city would provide land for PSC to relocate, and PSC would get development rights on the scrapyard. 

I guess it's possible if Haslam joined MusicCityBaseball/NashvilleStars, he could also get Icahn to get ownership of the MLB team and part of the development revenue, all for no equity investment, just the land. 

Go to Google Maps and have a look at the Great American Ballpark alignment here in Cincy. Now follow  I 71/65 down to Nashville. If you build a Major League Ballpark at the location I suggested at the same angle as GAP it will face Downtown Nashville away from the setting sun. It will offer the best views of the city and be another step in cleaning up the East Bank.

The East Bank is an eyesore and not just when it comes to PSC Metals.

Since this discussion probably belongs on the MLB thread I will add I think the best use for the Beaman/Reed properties is a museum/theater district I've mentioned before.

Edited by bnacincy
Content

On 12/5/2020 at 1:28 AM, titanhog said:

I just wish the scrapyard would sell.  If I had a choice between the scrapyard selling or Beaman selling…I’d take the scrapyard 100/100.  That land would also be great for a ballpark.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

With the PSC site there is also the issue of soil contamination. There’s no way to imagine how much time and how much MONEY it will take to prepare this ground for safe and environmentally sound redevelopment.

That is the biggest thing with the PSC metals site. When rumors were swirling about Briley helping PSC move and then having this barren wasteland just sit there, I was happy that Copper squashed it. The city should not get involved with moving PSC Metals, period! The site is going to need sooooo much remediation work that 1) any development will probably need to remove anywhere from 24" to 72" of top soil at a minimum to make it useful for immediate development or 2) once PSC moves off site the site will have to site vacant (most likely with a green "cap" over the site) for several years for nature to take its natural course with the site contaminents. Similar to why we will not be getting a super tall tower any time soon, PSC really wont be touch either. We have too much other developable land for the high cost of development at this location.

2 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

That is the biggest thing with the PSC metals site. When rumors were swirling about Briley helping PSC move and then having this barren wasteland just sit there, I was happy that Copper squashed it. The city should not get involved with moving PSC Metals, period! The site is going to need sooooo much remediation work that 1) any development will probably need to remove anywhere from 24" to 72" of top soil at a minimum to make it useful for immediate development or 2) once PSC moves off site the site will have to site vacant (most likely with a green "cap" over the site) for several years for nature to take its natural course with the site contaminents. Similar to why we will not be getting a super tall tower any time soon, PSC really wont be touch either. We have too much other developable land for the high cost of development at this location.

It would be worth it, though.  Even with remediation and allowing a few years for nature to take its course, it would be better than having that business right there.  Eventually, that land needs to become something else…and I’d rather us start in that direction soon rather than waiting 10-20 years.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

That is the biggest thing with the PSC metals site. When rumors were swirling about Briley helping PSC move and then having this barren wasteland just sit there, I was happy that Copper squashed it. The city should not get involved with moving PSC Metals, period! 

My biggest concern with PSC metals is that moving it out to the fringes of the metro would be a hardship for the locals who depend on it.  Have you ever spent a decent amount of time watching it operate?  It clearly serves as a source of vital income for locals who gather and sell scrap metal at PSC.  What will happen to those folks if they have to drive 20 miles to sell their scrap?  Maybe they would get some kind of minimum wage job at the business that takes PSC's place, but I get the impression these are the type of people who don't want to (or can't) work in a traditional job and they like the scrapper life.

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 5:05 PM, markhollin said:

The footprint IS large enough for a stadium like PNC (37,88 capacity) in Pittsburgh. I have sized it and dropped it in on the diagrams below (the yellow lines are just the outlines of the PNC basic footprint--could certainly be adjusted to fit the parameters here). Obviously there would most likely be more property along Demonbreun that would need to be purchased to give more elbow room for some additional retail, etc. that the ballpark would like to be part of. 

As far as the state helping with the bridges...I think there's a very good chance that they would.  They've been involved with other changes like upgrading interchanges near Nissan Stadium, so why would they be averse to doing even less expensive things like changing sidewalk widths, or helping with some of the costs of a pedestrian bridge over the freeway?

This is a prime site, and I'm sure the Nashville Stars people are in discussions about it. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sorry Mark, but this seems to be my morning for grousing over the pleathera of MLB posts lately.  As I just posted about shoehorning one of these at the foot of the Sigenthaler Pedstrian Bridge, I have similar doubts about your insistance for this site.  The shoe may fit but i  would expect bunions and foot cramps galore here..  Again, the number of games generated by MLB would totally screw traffic on the adjacent interstate.  I can ONLY see a stadium working on the Beaman site if there was a complete rework of the interstate...and I mean something like excavating down under the present lanes and double decking it each way, THEN roofing over it as well.  A nonstarter if I ever heard of one and we thought the soccer at the Fairgrounds was optomistic with the mixed use part.  This location is Just too important to waste on a venue only occupied for hours per day and not even every day.  This site and the Reed site must connect rather than interrupt the magificant start we have of building a new heart for Nashville.  As to my opinion about MLB (which I do not support as it would  undermine the great progress over by the Sounds Field) is that it EVER happens, the East bank is the logical location for it.  HOWEVER, I do not believe that the PSC site is the best one there due to its brownfield problems...which will be many, many FEET down instead of 3 or 4 feet as has been suggested.  No, If I were to pick a better site, it would be where all those old warehouses are on the other side of the Sileman interstate bridges.  Plenty of room and likely a relative bargan in price.  I think a development of a much improved greenway to Shelby Park could wind through a MLB park and let the old PSC site be excavated for a huge park with a marina connecting to First Horizon Park.  Locating a MLB facility closer to downtown and the Titans Stadium IMO would be a real tragedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Cha-ching! Any guesses as to what's expected sales price(s)? I'd love to buy that old neon Pontiac sign. My mom drove Pontiac wagons for years. That Indian head is one of my earliest memories on her steering wheel. I guess it's now politically incorrect. 

Edited by MLBrumby

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Hope there’s a bidding war with some deep-pocketed Trillionaires wanting to build some 1000’ towers as their legacy. :tw_lol:

With very little improvements (or structures) on the land, the price should be nearly as low as it could be.

I was just thinking earlier about Lifeway/Nashville Yards and was trying to remember the price and acreage of that. Any thoughts on what price this could be? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bos2Nash said:

Hot damn!! I can't read the article, but in the email blast I just got it mentions the Edgehill parcel is already under contract. Is that true??

Either way, talk about major players must be salivating with all this land coming up.

True, and I suspect that will be multi family as that is what it is suited for. That is zoned for 5 stories and I do not think they will so an SP on that land to change the height if and when it is sold.

They will build within the current zoning, IMO.

Now the other sites can be turned into SP's and the height and uses changed to change the 15 story height limits.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

True, and I suspect that will be multi family as that is what it is suited for. That is zoned for 5 stories and I do not think they will so an SP on that land to change the height if and when it is sold.

They will build within the current zoning, IMO.

Now the other sites can be turned into SP's and the height and uses changed to change the 15 story height limits.

so no chance of anything over 15 stories here on future development?

5 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I was talking more of the West End locations. Those are the ones that are zoned for 15. Those are the ones I was thinking would be switched to an SP.

The ones on Hawkins are zoned for 5 and will probably stay that way for a residential project. 

You’re saying the Beaman car lot on Broadway is zoned for only 15?  How is it that Broadwest is 36 floors and 400+ ft?  Surely Beaman can get the same deal, right?

I forget if that property is being marketed in the plats outlined in red (although I'm sure they'd sell it all together for the right price). So looking at that aerial photo from above McGavock (1503/1525 McGavock), if a developer were to build on the portion that goes from Demonbreun over to McGavock and up Mcgavock about a third the way up the block, a tower above 12 floors would all-but-block out any views of downtown from Rhythm.  Residents there might complain, but the rest of us won't be upset if that building is harder to see on the skyline. 

Edited by MLBrumby