Mid City (1501 Broadway, 8 acres on Broadway, 7 towers of 20-35 stories, 1.3 million sq. ft. office, 1,000 residential units, 150,000 sq. ft. commercial/retail)

markhollin

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Now it’s just another empty lot. We can only hope it does not just stay that way for ever and ever along with the Reed lots across the street.

I'd imagine we won't be seeing shovels in the ground on this one for a couple years or so? With all the due diligence and permits to go through, and the state of the economy being a bit shaky these days, it might be a while.

But I know everyone would love to be  surprised with a much sooner construction ground breaking on this one.

• Like 2

Random thoughts but if demolition occurs, is anything into metro codes for replacement buildings? A real timeline for new buildings? I ask in that I wonder if the land could be some form of paid parking until new construction starts. I’m not a fan of fencing off the lot, demolishing everything, and letting it sit, for potentially a few years. 

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, Bos2Nash said:

Unfortunately no. This would be a property rights thing in that the ownership has the right to do whatever they want with the property. This is one of the big PRO arguments for the Land-Value Tax that some folks here want. I know in other cities some folks discuss a "blight" fee if the property is considered a negative to the urban landscape.

If you're looking for a quick way to shut down development in Nashville and drive all new office construction to Cool Springs, please implement one of the above mentioned strategies.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

I don't think either should be implemented in Nashville. There is so much open land and we aren't at the density threshold to really discuss blight. 

There is no such thing as "blight".  One man's blight is another man's utopia.  There is only property ownership, and all the rest is irrelevant opinions from loud-mouthed busy-bodies who can't afford to buy and control the land they are complaining about.... And if a city ever enacts laws that give real power to those nimby's via a government-sponsored blight-fee gestapo that goes around town punishing land owners, then at that point their opinions WILL become relevant, but the city itself will quickly become irrelevant because investors will run for the hills. 

Major cities all over the US are filled to the brim with people who think their city is so special that they can impose any number of regulations on investors/businesses and they just have to pay it because they have to be in that city.  I would argue that the past 50 years of history has very clearly proven that is not the case.  

• Haha 3
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...