Mid City (1501 Broadway, 8 acres on Broadway, 7 towers of 20-35 stories, 1.3 million sq. ft. office, 1,000 residential units, 150,000 sq. ft. commercial/retail)

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...

McGavock Mixed-Use is the working moniker with an address of 1525 Broadway for the 8 acres of the Beaman site that faces Broadway between 14th Ave. South on the east and 16th Ave. South on the west, with McGavock St. on the south by an unknown developer.  This info has been gleaned from a Water & Sewer Services request.

It will feature a trio of 9 story office structures with 200,000 sq. ft. of office space apiece over parking garage pedestals, as well as a 5 story residential building with 420 units over an 80,000 sq. ft. retail/parking pedestal.   No word on the sliver of the Beaman site that exists south of McGavock St.--it is not part of this plan.  No renderings yet. Just a basic diagram seen below.

I don't editorialize much on announcement posts like this, but I have to say this is one of the least ambitious things I could have imagined for this prime site. It looks like some suburban campus in Cool Springs.  Quite disappointing.  On top of that, how could the moniker NOT have the name Broadway in it?  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/beaman-site-eyed-for-four-buildings/article_7d6c21ba-0a83-11ec-9fc6-2f742c9b3626.html

And at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/08/31/beaman-site-plans-unveiled.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_34&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

McGavock Beaman, Aug 31, 2021, diagram 1.png

McGavock Beaman, Aug 31, 2021, diagram 2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 9

• markhollin changed the title to McGavock Mixed-Use at Beaman Midtown (8 acres on Broadway, three 9 story office buildings at 200,000 sq. ft. each; 5 story residential with 420 units/80,000 sq. ft. of retail, parking pedestals for all 4 buildings)

In the words of John McEnroe, you can not be serious!!!!

Wow.  

So let me get this straight.  We beat down anything audacious, forward thinking, and tall.  And we approve this???  C'mon.  Right off the interstate in a prime location...and a location that can advertise/represent your town...and this is the best you can muster???

Someone please tell me this hasn't been approved.  Man, I'm sick.  Excuse me while I get some Clorox wipes to clean up my keyboard...

Edited by nashville born
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darwin said:

Wow, this is a disappointment, this could have been something really special for the city, in fact it really needed to be given the location.

Which is why I've been proposing for years now a Museum/Theater District which would feature a Museum of Music, a brand new TPAC, a state of the art, interactive automobile museum (no,not a antique car Museum!) a relocated Frist Museum and Adventure Science Center along with a 3d/IMAX Movieplex.

Nashville is not where it needs to be in terms of its cultural offerings If it really wants to continue as a destination city. The current proposal for this site-even it were much taller and more architecturally significant could still be built anywhere in Downtown, Midtown, or the Gulch.

Nashville's Broadway needs to be marketed as a brand and as such this part of Broadway deserves-and Nashville deserves- much better visionary thinking than this or the "it City" will become an also ran.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Darwin said:

A great waste yes.  Given the demand for housing here, I can't understand why they would stick to a 5 story with 420 units in SUCH a prime location. We have more new residents than that in just one week. This is the major plot of land that links downtown and midtown, which are both developing rapidly, and it's next to the gulch. There is so much opportunity here to create a dense mixed use urban neighbourhood, or as bnanincy says to have a great cultural venue. It may well make sense from the perspective of the developers, but it doesn't make sense for the city one bit. That stretch of broadway is an unpleasant and impractical place to walk, or to be, if it were transformed we could massively increase the amount of Nashville that actually feels like a dense city environment, which is limited right now to a few streets downtown and the gulch. Let's make more of Nashville feel like an actual place where life happens. It feels like there was a lack of vision here, it would probably take multiple independent developers working together to achieve what the land deserves.

Not only that, but if you're going to build "low rise" then put it at the side toward downtown!  Then build the taller structures behind them to get the full views of the downtown area.  This is just stupid.  I have a child in architecture school... you put the buildings in tiers toward the views people want. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, downtownresident said:

I’d be ok with the curb cuts if they were internal streets that followed through instead of into a pedestal garage.

Right, as it is, it just makes the street even less walkable, whereas what it could do, is give us more places to walk.

13 minutes ago, bnacincy said:

Which is why I've been proposing for years now a Museum/Theater District which would feature a Museum of Music, a brand new TPAC, a state of the art, interactive automobile museum (no,not a antique car Museum!) a relocated Frist Museum and Adventure Science Center along with a 3d/IMAX Movieplex.

Nashville is not where it needs to be in terms of its cultural offerings If it really wants to continue as a destination city. The current proposal for this site-even it were much taller and more architecturally significant could still be built anywhere in Downtown, Midtown, or the Gulch.

Nashville's Broadway needs to be marketed as a brand and as such this part of Broadway deserves-and Nashville deserves- much better visionary thinking than this or the "it City" will become an also ran.

I love this idea.  If the developer had announced multiple projects in accordance with creating an arts district of sorts, I'd be onboard completely, even in the face of losing my dream of three or fall tall towers at that location.  Complete swing and miss from both angles.  If I were a resident, I'd definitely follow through on Smeag's suggestion.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nashville born said:

I love this idea.  If the developer had announced multiple projects in accordance with creating an arts district of sorts, I'd be onboard completely, even in the face of losing my dream of three or fall tall towers at that location.  Complete swing and miss from both angles.  If I were a resident, I'd definitely follow through on Smeag's suggestion.  Ridiculous.

There is plenty of space on Hayes Street and Church Street for tall boys-in fact you could build an entirely new neighborhood in that area.

In fact if that happened and residential growth continued in the Gulch you would reach a critical mass of people living in the area you could do some serious retail projects on Broadway in the Gulch between 13th and 11th-that would make all of Broadway-Upper Broadway with a theater museum district and Gulch Broadway as a retail district along with Lower Broadway of course as a destination zone for residents and tourists alike.

Also, the current Frist Museum could be repurposed as a transit center-the current one is too small and too far away from Nashville Yards and all that is going on there.

• Like 3