Chapel Hill Carrboro Developments

KJHburg

Looked and looked for a thread about Chapel Hill and saw some very old ones but the town is actually got some new development going from retail, to apartments to office buildings and hotels.  Here are a few projects I drove by today including new Hyatt Place on 15/501 south,  the new Wegmans, the Gwendolyn office building by Grubb. 

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2754.JPG

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

• Like 3

This is a huge project.  For the most part, however, I'm not interested in seeing more development in Chapel Hill.  It's perfect as it is.  I'd rather see development in the area occur in Durham and Raleigh.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/06/18/chapel-hill-rosemary-redevelopment.html

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Chapel Hill has always been very slow to approve projects especially commercial but it found it you need some commercial to build a tax base with most of your town is occupied by state owned properties.  It is nice to see some new things going up in Chapel Hill as the rest of the Triangle booms around it.  

• Like 2

There are a lot more projects outside of downtown (e.g., both sides of MLK and Estes and Weaver Dairy near MLK) that have been seeking approval, but the town is tough.   A very big project will be the redevelopment of the University Place Mall.

The tax base is very limited.  My taxes here are more expensive than they were in a very modest house in Myers Park (which had about the same value as my house here).

Anyway, I'd rather pay more taxes and see less development.  Chapel Hill is a model town.  I regard it as one of the best in America.  It's like ancient Athens.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Thanks 1

Chapel Hill has always been difficult to build in but it has driven up prices of homes to astronomical levels.  Even in northern Chatham county every new neighborhood I saw off 15/501 staring in the $500K or more.  

here is a town webpage on development projects and I agree University Mall needs to be redeveloped.

https://www.townofchapelhill.org/government/departments-services/planning/gis-analytics/development-activity-report

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

There are a lot more projects outside of downtown (e.g., both sides of MLK and Estes and Weaver Dairy near MLK) that have been seeking approval, but the town is tough.   A very big project will be the redevelopment of the University Place Mall.

The tax base is very limited.  My taxes here are more expensive than they were in a very modest house in Myers Park (which had about the same value as my house here).

Anyway, I'd rather pay more taxes and see less development.  Chapel Hill is a model town.  I regard it as one of the best in America.  It's like ancient Athens.

It's not for nothin' that they call Chapel Hill:  "The Southern Part of Heaven."

UNC-Chapel Hill announces scholarship initiative for North Carolina  middle-income students | UNC-Chapel Hill

South Building at UNC-Chapel Hill Photograph by Bryan Pollard

There's more in Chapel Hill than the Tar Heels, a family finds - The  Washington Post

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, KJHburg said:

Chapel Hill has always been difficult to build in but it has driven up prices of homes to astronomical levels.  Even in northern Chatham county every new neighborhood I saw off 15/501 staring in the $500K or more.  

here is a town webpage on development projects and I agree University Mall needs to be redeveloped.

https://www.townofchapelhill.org/government/departments-services/planning/gis-analytics/development-activity-report

That wasn't my experience at all after just buying a house near the Chapel Hill-Carrboro line, at as compared to downtown Raleigh. I found lots of good stuff up here for 200-225 a square foot. 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:34 PM, SydneyCarton said:

Charlotte is my favorite city in  NC, but I think that Chapel Hill is the state’s crown jewel.  It’s very wooded, hilly neighborhoods are simply gorgeous.

1AE8FF62-ECA4-40DE-A034-CDAD4A551BBC.jpeg

514DEAB0-D502-41B7-835D-CC3E594C035A.jpeg

Howdy new neighbor. I lived in Wake County (mostly downtown Raleigh) for 33 years and came up to Carrboro for exactly this reason. I wasted a lot of years in Raleigh but am finally happy up here. 

• Like 3

Carboro has some great stuff: Cats Cradle and the Weaver Street Market.   Even though it's so close, I don't get there much.  I spend all of my free time going to my kids' hockey games in Hillsborough, Cary, Raleigh, Wake Forest, and Garner.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

I read an article a while back about the University wanting to demolish the row of buildings that Carolina Coffee house is in, just because. Turns out they are among the oldest commercial buildings in the Town. But hey, might as well pull a Raleigh and rip out all the charm everyone talks about as the reason for coming in the first place. Hoping Carrboro stays committed to maintaining its soul as that is indeed a big reason I came here. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Jones_ said:

I read an article a while back about the University wanting to demolish the row of buildings that Carolina Coffee house is in, just because. Turns out they are among the oldest commercial buildings in the Town. But hey, might as well pull a Raleigh and rip out all the charm everyone talks about as the reason for coming in the first place. Hoping Carrboro stays committed to maintaining its soul as that is indeed a big reason I came here. 

I remember that.  That would be a disaster.

P.S.:  It looks like Grubb’s downtown project is proceeding.

https://chapelboro.com/news/development/chapel-hill-approves-agreement-for-major-east-rosemary-development-with-5-3-vote

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Keep me posted on the new Wegmans @SydneyCarton that store is going to do possibly even better than the north Raleigh store when it opens. 

I will.   Supposedly, when the  University Place mall is redeveloped, the huge Harris Teeter will close and be razed.   That will really help the new Wegman’s store.

• Like 1