Chapel Hill Carrboro Developments

KJHburg

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I will.   Supposedly, when the  University Place mall is redeveloped, the huge Harris Teeter will close and be razed.   That will really help the new Wegman’s store.

That's 100% not even close to true. That store is not going anywhere.

2 hours ago, Prodev said:

That's 100% not even close to true. That store is not going anywhere.

I read it in an article.   It also said that Chapel Hill Tire and the Cafeteria will both be booted, and those properties redeveloped. 

If the developer can make more money with a combination of apartments, a hotel, or office space, then why not? I personally don't care.  I'm just reporting what I read.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

This is the site plan submitted. It's pretty clear from "to remain as-is" that it's excluded from the development area. 

I'd love to see the article where it said specifically that Teeter and Chapel Hill Tire were being torn down. The article I read had a quote from Marc Pons, the owner of Chapel Hill Tire, who said he wasn't going anywhere and he was excited about the redevelopment. 

UP.png

• Like 2

I have no interest in arguing with you, particularly since you have a belligerent attitude.

In any event, This was one of the several articles which discussed the eventual demolition of HT and Chapel Hill Tire.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article234922032.html

"A hotel and apartments are possible where the K&W now sits. The Harris Teeter and Chapel Hill Tire could be redeveloped to include up to 90,000 square feet of commercial and office space. Up to 25,000 square feet of office and commercial space could be located on Estes Drive."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I snapped this yesterday.  The connected buildings that house CH Tire and  HT are huge.  A four or  five story building with offices, apartments, and a hotel with stores at the base could generate a lot more revenue.

A screen shot of Google Maps which shows an aerial view of the connected buildings with CHT and HT is also attached.

35A32E35-CC89-4A23-8AC0-7EF2A15CA860.jpeg

442EC88B-392F-4125-8B50-BDBD4ED8F9BB.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't want to see too much development on Franklin Street.  It's pretty nice as it is.  However, I would like to see the Chapel Hill Tire and the McDonald's sites redeveloped.   Apartment towers and office space would be more suited to Rosemary Street.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 12/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I don't want to see too much development on Franklin Street.  It's pretty nice as it is.  However, I would like to see the Chapel Hill Tire and the McDonald's sites redeveloped.   Apartment towers and office space would be more suited to Rosemary Street.

Thankfully Carrboro is literally holding the line down there. They do have two projects coming to their 'downtown'. The empty lot at the NW corner of Greensboro and Weaver is getting a 3 story building (office over retail) and the big town parking lot behind Open Eye is becoming a library (and other stuff too I think) with a parking deck. Not sure how I feel about that one as that starts to put pressure on the mill houses south of there. The most important stretch of Franklin to keep intact is west of Church. That blends on over to Carrboro and that charm is irreplaceable. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jones_ said:

Thankfully Carrboro is literally holding the line down there. They do have two projects coming to their 'downtown'. The empty lot at the NW corner of Greensboro and Weaver is getting a 3 story building (office over retail) and the big town parking lot behind Open Eye is becoming a library (and other stuff too I think) with a parking deck. Not sure how I feel about that one as that starts to put pressure on the mill houses south of there. The most important stretch of Franklin to keep intact is west of Church. That blends on over to Carrboro and that charm is irreplaceable. 

The stretch by Weaver St Market is very nice.  I would not want to see any all glass buildings or anything more than 3 to 5 stories there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from the article above  and finally this is changing slowly in Chapel Hill

""Raleigh and Durham are regarded as two of the best cities for young professionals in the country. Chapel Hill is not. Hemminger says that while some companies may have opened up shop there because they were already considered “business cities,” previous town governments told commercial developers to stay out. It made a lasting impression on developers.""

That is why the job announcements are all in Wake and Durham counties.  the young college graduates move there or elsewhere.   Chapel Hill is not a village but it seems to not to be a city either. 

• Like 4

Honestly, most people in Chapel Hill (including me) don't want to see a lot of development.   There are limited spots on Franklin Street that I'd like to see redeveloped (like the McDonald's and Chapel Hill Tire), but for the most part, I like its quaint, older quality.   Outside of downtown, there aren't even many places to build.   The following are the prime sites for commercial and retail that I'm aware of:

1.  Glen Lennox which Grub is redeveloping in stages;

2. The University Mall; 

3. The old airport, which I think is owned by UNC and will be a UNC North Campus; 

4.   The corner of MLK and Estes will be redeveloped with some commercial, retail, and housing too; and

5.  Carraway Village, which Northwood Ravin is building.

I fully support development in the right spots.  I'd like to see a sea of 1,000'+ towers rise in Uptown, but I think that a 500' tower in SouthPark looming over all of those beautiful homes would be a disaster.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

Apparently, this is coming up for review by the town soon because I'm getting flooded with flyers seeking opponents to voice their fury.  Personally, I would have preferred that the woods remain, but since that's not an option, I like this.

Chapel Hill reviews Aura retail, housing on Estes, MLK Blvd. | Raleigh News & Observer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

Rosemary St is the best place to develop in downtown Chapel Hill IMO.  It is largely underdeveloped.  Further, most of the beautiful old buildings on Franklin Street should be preserved.

This empty lots on the corner of Rosemary and Columbia must be the site.  It’s next to Grubb’s new development which will rise on the site of a parking garage.

C928D1B7-5383-4088-BBDC-5A3B9A2C3812.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2