Chapel Hill Carrboro Developments

KJHburg

If the town takes control of Franklin Street, some very nice improvements to the streetscape seem likely.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/orange-county-news/petition-calls-on-chapel-hill-leaders-to-explore-local-control-of-franklin-street-downtown/

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

Another apartment complex is planned for CH.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article255318001.html

It would be next to the new building planned at the former University Inn site on Fordham.  It would replace these buildings on Fordham and on Ephesus Church Rd in the back.

FB93BCFE-BE4D-49B2-A07F-4D463F7D29E4.jpeg

965E3C53-DFB9-448D-94FC-749E15ED0F5C.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Another apartment complex is planned for CH.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/counties/orange-county/article255318001.html

It would be next to the new building planned at the former University Inn site on Fordham.  It would replace these buildings on Fordham and on Ephesus Church Rd in the back.

FB93BCFE-BE4D-49B2-A07F-4D463F7D29E4.jpeg

965E3C53-DFB9-448D-94FC-749E15ED0F5C.jpeg

Is the second building the church that had the Halloween pony rides? (if you were mailer with that...was very popular with kids)

On 11/18/2021 at 8:08 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I wonder if this is the corner of Rosemary and Columbia.  I hope so, as they appear to be saving the old building.

They are saving the Hill Building which is a huge relief. A fast look at Sanborn maps and I think this is the oldest commercial building on Franklin Street...at a minimum it is on the oldest Sanborn map for Chapel Hill. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, Jones_ said:

They are saving the Hill Building which is a huge relief. A fast look at Sanborn maps and I think this is the oldest commercial building on Franklin Street...at a minimum it is on the oldest Sanborn map for Chapel Hill. 

I agree.  That’s for the Porthole Alley  project on Franklin.

This is the SW corner of Rosemary and Columbia.  I feared that the Georgian-style building would be razed, but, fortunately, it won’t be.

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 11/27/2021 at 8:43 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I agree.  That’s for the Porthole Alley  project on Franklin.

This is the SW corner of Rosemary and Columbia.  I feared that the Georgian-style building would be razed, but, fortunately, it won’t be.

The rendering seems to show that this is at the NW corner, not the SW corner. GIS show it as built in 1945, it doesn't show up on a 1925 Sanborn map. So, it's 75 years old. Yeah, that's getting up there these days.

I am not disappointed that this building is being saved. I'm not overjoyed, but it's a fine outcome. This building is not really a storefront (which one might expect on a corner such as this) but is nevertheless a decent looking building. Like a lot of stuff in DTCH, It seems like it's trying to evoke the 18th century, but mostly just winds up reminding me of Kannapolis. Which - okay, Kannapolis is a perfectly fine town. But not really an architectural powerhouse. 

So I'm not, like, super psyched about the historic preservation aspect, but I can definitely get behind the sustainability side of not needlessly demolishing serviceable structures.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, orulz said:

The rendering seems to show that this is at the NW corner, not the SW corner. GIS show it as built in 1945, it doesn't show up on a 1925 Sanborn map. So, it's 75 years old. Yeah, that's getting up there these days.

I am not disappointed that this building is being saved. I'm not overjoyed, but it's a fine outcome. This building is not really a storefront (which one might expect on a corner such as this) but is nevertheless a decent looking building. Like a lot of stuff in DTCH, It seems like it's trying to evoke the 18th century, but mostly just winds up reminding me of Kannapolis. Which - okay, Kannapolis is a perfectly fine town. But not really an architectural powerhouse. 

So I'm not, like, super psyched about the historic preservation aspect, but I can definitely get behind the sustainability side of not needlessly demolishing serviceable structures.

Yeah I could see right away it was a faux historic thing...Chapel Hill seems to have a dozen or so buildings like this...not sure how it ended up that way. For me WWII is sort of the divide for does the building count as historic (lets through out Federal guidelines about who lived there yada yada). The materials used and building techniques took a big turn after WWII due to materials shortages and then the need to rapidly house returning GIs after the war. Things have never been the same. 

On 11/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, SydneyCarton said:

This little church is the next to be razed.

27AFD4CE-D90D-4025-89F2-23E0B2021485.jpeg

Ah even though I am new to CH, I have actually been in this little cinder block thing...to use the bathroom during the Halloween fair they just had there.