Northcap Center (conversion of 21 story Parkway Towers to residential & new 9 story residential w/ 358 total units, 12,413 sq. ft. retail, 403 capacity garage)

markhollin

I worked in the building briefly for BWSC in the mid 80's-liked the fact you could open the windows and the higher floors have great views of downtown.

And even though I normally can't stand above ground parking garages they did a good job with this one as far as aesthetics go.

All in all a good example of late 60's architecture that hopefully the new ownership will keep.

• Like 3

I just do not want to lose any height on that end of town. I am unsure if it would ever be replaced with a building of similar height the way way Metro operates today.

The one building that beat them all is Spence Manor @ 11 Music  Sq. E.  They only thing they could do to make that building look a little better is to cover it all in bright murals and make it stick out like a sore thumb.

https://www.facebook.com/SpenceManor/

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I just do not want to lose any height on that end of town. I am unsure if it would ever be replaced with a building of similar height the way way Metro operates today.

The one building that beat them all is Spence Manor @ 11 Music  Sq. E.  They only thing they could do to make that building look a little better is to cover it all in bright murals and make it stick out like a sore thumb.

https://www.facebook.com/SpenceManor/

If I'm not mistaken, in the 1970s, Spence Manor had a 5-diamond (5-star) rating from AAA(!) It was famous for the country music celebs that would stay there when in town (Elvis, too) and had the famous, but tiny, guitar-shaped pool. That dog, of course, has long since had its day and should be demo'd for something more attractive. It's as ugly as the former Sheraton on Broadway (now the Holiday Inn Express) across from the new Grand Hyatt, and which also similarly needs to come down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Where did I read that this building was constructed in two parts at two distinct periods of time (early 60s and late 60s)? 

According to Emporis, construction started in 1967 and the building was completed in 1968. (Also noted on the Emporis site, a construction worker was killed at the building when he was struck by a material elevator on April 17, 1968.)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

According to Emporis, construction started in 1967 and the building was completed in 1968. (Also noted on the Emporis site, a construction worker was killed at the building when he was struck by a material elevator on April 17, 1968.)

So then it is also ugly and most likely haunted and to make matters worse Elvis stayed there. No offence to you Elvis Lovers but I hated his music and his movies. When I see or hear them on the radio or TV I change the station. Sorry its just me, probably a disturbed childhood or something but Elvis just gave me the creeps!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

31 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

So then it is also ugly and most likely haunted and to make matters worse Elvis stayed there. No offence to you Elvis Lovers but I hated his music and his movies. When I see or hear them on the radio or TV I change the station. Sorry its just me, probably a disturbed childhood or something but Elvis just gave me the creeps!

I recall that it was built to specifically serve the A list clientele because the rest of the Nashville Hotel stock was basically crud. Supposedly Sinatra and Dean Martin stayed there among others.

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

My post with Emporis information was regarding the Parkway Towers renovation, NOT Spence Manor.  Perhaps I misunderstood which building you meant when you asked about the timetable of construction.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • markhollin changed the title to Northcap Center (conversion of 21 story Parkway Towers to residential & new 9 story residential w/ 358 total units, 12,413 sq. ft. retail, 403 capacity garage)