Greensboro's population breaking 300,000 residents.

cityboi

• 1 month later...

That's good news! Glad to see G'boro passing that milestone, definitely agree that it's something worth celebrating. 

That being said, it's not that helpful to compare a sunbelt city with a heritage city like Cincy. Technically, Cincy and G'boro have about the same population, but Cincy anchors an MSA of 2.1 Million and the G'boro - High Point MSA is about 1/3 of that. Nobody who visited the two downtowns would think the cities were the same size. 

That's true of every NC city, though. Charlotte technically has more people than Boston, but in reality Boston has more like 2.5 x as many people. 

• Like 4

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, KJHburg said:

Greensboro came up 65 people short in the official US Census in reaching 300,000 however due to the pandemic and no door to door canvassing I think Greensboro has more than 300,000 April 1 2020 and undoubtedly more now. 

This community and the fact is being annex will propel Gboro way over 300K.

""A Triad residential developer that lost two high-profile zoning fights in the past year has gained approval of zoning changes that will allow it to go ahead with up to 1,400 homes off McConnell Road in eastern Guilford County.  Greensboro City Council voted 8-0 to approve zoning changes to City PUD and City LI and annexation for 384 acres along McConnell, Village Road and Andrews Farm Road where Diamondback Investment Group plans to develop the large community.  Terry Gauldin, Micki Stewart, Elizabeth Stewart LLC, William Kageorge, and Rebecca Kageorge requested annexation and zoning for the property identified as 5144-ZZ, 5119, 5121, 5164, and 5200 McConnell Road, 1360 Village Road, and 1801 Andrews Farm Road. The property was described as north and south of McConnell and east of Andrews Farm.""

Greensboro OK zoning for Diamondback community of up to 1,400 homes, plus two other housing projects - Triad Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Another milestone. Greensboro gained almost 100,000 people in 20 years. I remember when Greensboro topped 200,000. Now the city quietly tops 300,000. Hopefully the city will begin to grow faster so we won't have to wait 20 years to see 400,000. I'm sure by 2040 Raleigh will have close to or over a million people and Charlotte will surpass a million well before then. But lol they could have found 65 people from under a rock to get to 300,000 people for the 2020 census. Greensboro is known for growing its population numbers before a census. Between 1999 and 2000 Greensboro grew from 198,000 to 223,000. (Clearly through annexation) The city has tried to keep Winston-Salem at bay but I don't think Greensboro will hold off Durham. Before the next census there is a realistic chance Durham could dethrone Greensboro from being 3rd largest city, a position Greensboro has held for decades.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Greensboro's population seems to growing at a faster rate. The 2020 census reported the city's population at a little over 299,000. In 2022 the population is now 304,909. In just two years Greensboro gained about 5,000 people through a mix of annexation and immigration . At that rate in another two years Greensboro's population will be 310,000. With companies like Toyota and Boom coming to town we should see the growth rate increase more. If Greensboro were to annex its entire urban area today, the city would have about 370,000 people.

By comparison, Winston-Salem is growing a little slower. In 2020 the city had 250,765 people. In 2022 the city's population is 252,175. The city has gained less than 2,000 people in two years.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

Population growth through annexation is a net negative IMO. The low density development at the fringes usually adds more in maintenance and service liabilities for the city than it adds in new tax revenue. The city should get serious about directing growth to the areas already within the city limits in order to leverage existing infrastructure and services.

• Like 1

jthomas I understand what you are saying but, the only problem is this. When plans are made to rezone a area or a property owner wants to either build apartments/homes you have people rushing to the city council meetings with pitchforks and fire complaining how they don't want their quiet community disrupted. Trees torn down, Kids not having to walk to school or play in the grass/woods. More traffic, etc! We seen this happen here in Greensboro, High Point & Clemmons. Since the new Urban Beltways is almost done and businesses like Publix and Toyota will be around the Eastern & Southeastern regions of the county, I think they would build apts and homes near those places, restaurants and maybe retail stores will pop up near them. I can understand if the city annex to fill in eastern Greensboro to touch the beltways in that corner to capitalize on that new tax base. Just my thoughts right or wrong.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:43 AM, KJHburg said:

Greensboro came up 65 people short in the official US Census in reaching 300,000 however due to the pandemic and no door to door canvassing I think Greensboro has more than 300,000 April 1 2020 and undoubtedly more now. 

This community and the fact is being annex will propel Gboro way over 300K.

""A Triad residential developer that lost two high-profile zoning fights in the past year has gained approval of zoning changes that will allow it to go ahead with up to 1,400 homes off McConnell Road in eastern Guilford County.  Greensboro City Council voted 8-0 to approve zoning changes to City PUD and City LI and annexation for 384 acres along McConnell, Village Road and Andrews Farm Road where Diamondback Investment Group plans to develop the large community.  Terry Gauldin, Micki Stewart, Elizabeth Stewart LLC, William Kageorge, and Rebecca Kageorge requested annexation and zoning for the property identified as 5144-ZZ, 5119, 5121, 5164, and 5200 McConnell Road, 1360 Village Road, and 1801 Andrews Farm Road. The property was described as north and south of McConnell and east of Andrews Farm.""

Greensboro OK zoning for Diamondback community of up to 1,400 homes, plus two other housing projects - Triad Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

I hate this so much. I live around the corner. Moved there to NOT have people right on top of me or traffic everywhere. I really, REALLY feel for the poor guy with the beautiful log cabin right there. These builders literally want to put their ugly development right up in his front yard. He says he's lucky he's almost dead, and that he's just going to walk away from it one day. That's really sad tho. It's a beautiful house but it won't be any longer because all you'll see from the front porch is the backside of the typically garbage, cheap housing they keep building around here. Like 3000 cars about to enter a quiet spot... 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that with all the room that Greensboro has to develop on the east side of the city, it will fill out given all of the development. (Looking at all the land that is undeveloped from the current city limits to the Outer loop band to the East).
Of course, the city will need to foster this growth and continue to nurture it. There is no reason for the North and West sides of town to be booming, while the South and East are not.

Think about the current rumbling of the N&R lot on the east side of downtown being redeveloped, the big plot of land on East Cone, and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite. Development will continue to pop up on the east side, and I think housing developments will too. I think Greensboro's population will start to really increase at bigger percentages. Things are just getting started.

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I have a feeling that with all the room that Greensboro has to develop on the east side of the city, it will fill out given all of the development. (Looking at all the land that is undeveloped from the current city limits to the Outer loop band to the East).
Of course, the city will need to foster this growth and continue to nurture it. There is no reason for the North and West sides of town to be booming, while the South and East are not.

Think about the current rumbling of the N&R lot on the east side of downtown being redeveloped, the big plot of land on East Cone, and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite. Development will continue to pop up on the east side, and I think housing developments will too. I think Greensboro's population will start to really increase at bigger percentages. Things are just getting started.

I agree. For the past several decades Greensboro for the most part has relied on annexation to grow its population. With new jobs and development consistently coming in, Greensboro will grow more with people moving into the city so the overall populational growth rate will increase. Infill development will help create a denser population as well.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

With the Toyota plant at the Megasite, part of the agreement with the State was to have the US-421 corridor upgraded to interstate standards as I-685 all the way to Wilmington for port access. Improvement projects are already underway and a large part of the funding was included in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill passed recently. This added onto the other good news we've heard regarding development on the east side of Greensboro (I hope there is more). There is big opportunity for developing large portions of land for future neighborhoods and residential developments.

The Red X denotes the Toyota site, with the other red dots being big development projects.
The Yellow highlight are areas that are ripe for development and could be annexed in the future.
Keep in mind that Forest Oaks (population of 4,209 per 2020 census) is not technically its own town, and if Greensboro pushes out that way, it could end up being annexed.

EastBoroDev.JPG

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

With the Toyota plant at the Megasite, part of the agreement with the State was to have the US-421 corridor upgraded to interstate standards as I-685 all the way to Wilmington for port access. Improvement projects are already underway and a large part of the funding was included in the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill passed recently. This added onto the other good news we've heard regarding development on the east side of Greensboro (I hope there is more). There is big opportunity for developing large portions of land for future neighborhoods and residential developments.

The Red X denotes the Toyota site, with the other red dots being big development projects.
The Yellow highlight are areas that are ripe for development and could be annexed in the future.
Keep in mind that Forest Oaks (population of 4,209 per 2020 census) is not technically its own town, and if Greensboro pushes out that way, it could end up being annexed.

EastBoroDev.JPG

If Greensboro annexes that far out which eventually the city will, that places the city limits of Greensboro within 6 miles of the Toyota plant 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCB said:

I mean, given time, Greensboro will probably annex most or all of the areas in (non highlighted) green but that's probably a century out if it ever happens.

I don't think this is as far off as you may think. I give it 10-15 years. Development is really starting to ramp up. Investors are taking notice.

While I agree with the above posts that development of those areas is what *will* happen, I’m not sure why anyone should be cheering it on. The population growth that will accompany the recent job growth could easily be accommodated within current city limits. But unfortunately, the city is sitting on its hands when it comes to modernizing the development ordinance to bring it in line with the comprehensive plan. The destruction of forests and farmland to create more auto-centric sprawl, which ultimately makes the city poorer, does not have to be inevitable. However, that would require city leadership that is not still clinging to the thinking of the 1990s. I’m afraid that Greensboro is missing an opportunity to remake itself here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jthomas said:

While I agree with the above posts that development of those areas is what *will* happen, I’m not sure why anyone should be cheering it on. The population growth that will accompany the recent job growth could easily be accommodated within current city limits. But unfortunately, the city is sitting on its hands when it comes to modernizing the development ordinance to bring it in line with the comprehensive plan. The destruction of forests and farmland to create more auto-centric sprawl, which ultimately makes the city poorer, does not have to be inevitable. However, that would require city leadership that is not still clinging to the thinking of the 1990s. I’m afraid that Greensboro is missing an opportunity to remake itself here.

Only because Eastern and Southern Greensboro hasn't had much to cheer about in the past.. idk.... forever.... 

11 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

Only because Eastern and Southern Greensboro hasn't had much to cheer about in the past.. idk.... forever.... 

Greensboro has grown lopsided to the west. Downtown is actually on the east side of town and Friendly Center is the geographic center of Greensboro 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AlmaPinnix said:

I'm not suggesting that new development shouldn't happen on that side of town - I would love to see the Toyota plant jump-start investment in that area. I'm saying that the investment should take the form of infill and densification of existing parts of the city, not wasteful sprawl.

• Like 2

Speaking of development, infill, and densification. There are multiple open lots of land now on N Church St. near Pisgah/Lees Chapel and further down south towards Cone Blvd. I hope something other than single family homes are built on them.

The Church St corridor is prime for development, imo. Lots in Red are cleared and ready for investors. There is plenty of space and wooded areas that can be turned into large apartment complexes or retail space. Some of these lots have houses that are vacant/condemned and are in terrible shape.

ChurchStDev.JPG

• Like 3