West Coast buyers want Our Penguins

Kasper

A Portland and San Jose based investment group wants to buy the Penguins.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05154/515181.stm

This has me really really really nervous. Portland has been trying to get its hands on our team for a decade now. The investment group says it is will keep the team in Pgh as long as an arena comes thorugh - I don't trust investors with no ties to the Burgh - especially ones from Portland.

Can you imagine how bad it would be more civic morale and our national image if the Pens left Pittsburgh. Agh, I get sick thinking about it!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a thread in this PA. forum about the new "underground" arena they were talking about a few years ago. I'll dig it up. It is sad if the Pens move out but hockey overall might be a dying sport, so in a way there not might be a league for them to play in after next winter. :( Really bad news if you ask me.

pens.gif

Hopefully they are worth saving enough for the local community!

I hope this doesn't happen! I live in Buffalo Sabres country but I'm a big time Penguins fan! I wonder if this is the same group that was trying to get the Buffalo Sabres a few years back. Ihope the league and union gets it act together, I don't think the can survive another season of not playing.

I know the Pens need a new arena but I love the igloo(been there twice). The old building has an atmospher that you can't find in the new COOKIE CUTTER arenas(IMO)!

Mellon Arena does have a huge amount of character. Jean Claude swinging from the rafters in Sudden Death! Unfortunately like Forbes Field and Three Rivers Stadium (even old Pitt Stadium) the economics don't seem to be there for it any longer (unless maybe Duquesne Basketball wanted it for their home court).

I did notice something in this weeks edition of the Pittsburgh Business Times though, and here I was thinking he would come back and play! :(

"Mr. McMillan told the newspaper that Penguins star and owner Mario Lemieux, who will be 40 in October, would stay. "

SuperMario is 40 . . . oh this is sad.

Yes, it would look bad to lose out team. Teams move all the time, but this would be just the sort of thing the haters need to "verify" that Pittsburgh is "dying."

This is why I get mad at people who complain about the new stadiums. We could have lost the Pirates. They say "let them leave," but I would like to hear what they say if we lost them!

I wish the city would have collaborated with Pitt to make the Peterson bigger, and it could host Pitt events as well as hockey and other things. It gets the occassional concert, but that is it.

^^That was a good thought Gerb, but I think Pitt wanted something on campus and the Pens were determined to stay close to downtown at the time.

Update:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05161/519661.stm

looks like the lead guy (from San Jose) has been an NHL owner before and is best buds with "the Mario", might be good to get more cash in the team and they seem pretty good about not moving it--unless of course there is no new arena in the next few years.

More money would always be a good thing!!! Then maybe the pens could afford a bigger star or two and not have to trade everybody for money every few years.

I'm all for a new arena I just hope they can capture some of the character of the Igloo. Pittsburgh did an amazing job with PNC Park(my favorite staduim) and Heinz field. I just hope they work their magic with the new hockey arena. Maybe CLARK ARENA????

Just having a little fun. There is already Heinz Field and PNC park. Maybe the Clark Bar company could buy the naming rights WHEN Pittsburgh gets its new hockey arena

Haven't been to Pittsburgh in a while. Do they still make Clark bars there?

:lol:

There was a story about ALCOA being an endangered Pittsburgh institution as well--seems like the CEO who took over for Paul O'Neil is spending most of his "office time" in New York City and not Pittsburgh! The Board of Directors are allegedly trying to reign him back in, but i dunno.

Clark Bars still say Pittsburgh on the back but since 99 they've been owned by the New England Candy Co. the makers of Neccos and all.

The old Clark Bldg. and Clark sign (an institution around here for decades) was taken down and over by the Pittsburgh Tribune now, so I'm not even sure if and where their "offices" are around here.

:lol:

There was a story about ALCOA being an endangered Pittsburgh institution as well--seems like the CEO who took over for Paul O'Neil is spending most of his "office time" in New York City and not Pittsburgh!  The Board of Directors are allegedly trying to reign him back in, but i dunno.

I remember that. Pittsburghers love to fret about such things. But ALCOA just built a brand-spanking-new headquarters here. That doesn't sound like a company that is looking to move.

^^HQ was built in mid-90s if I remember correctly under Pittsburgh pride guy Paul O'Neil, this new dude (in power since 2001) doesn't seem to share Paul's passion for Pittsburgh. I doubt they will move anytime soon, but just the perception that to talk to the "head of Alcoa" you have to go to Park Avenue, is baad.

Also remember that Alcoa was very quick to vacate and give away to the county their "spanking" HQ that was a wonder of the world when it was built in the 1950s and still a very impressive skyscraper to move to the northshore, so to a multibillion dollar multinational giving away the northshore for greener pastures isn't out of the question. Again I doubt they'll pull out way too many Pittsburghers on the board and in high positions and as major shareholders, but its a slippery slope what the CEO is doing now. :(

I have heard various rumors around town about this guy. The suspicion is that he feels since Alcoa is an international company, and he is the head of said company, NYC is the only respectable place for a man of his importance and stature. It appears somebody is more concerned with being a big shot than anything else.

Flash over substance. Seems sad Pittsburgh has to suffer b/c this guy has an ego/insecurity issue.

As I said I believe Clark still has a "Pittsburgh connection" of some sort, it says Pittsburgh, Pa. on the candy wraper doesn't it still? For all intents and purposes though they are just a shell operation for Necco.

The sign your referring to is now the Trib building and the city offices of the Tribune-Review (even they have a corporate parent based outside in Greensburg). As for the Alcoa sign wasn't it taken over by Bayer? What I miss is the Westinghouse Circles sign on the northshore (I believe they were at the present day location of PNC Park). Here is a link to that very very unique sign:

http://pittsburghsigns.org/archives/2004/1...stinghouse.html

Archived