Street Fair on Saturday

GRGridGirl

When I lived in NYC, I loved walking around to different neighborhoods. I was blown away by the vast amount of quality, in many cases historic architecture; the amount of people on the street, walking; the amount of public spaces, many of them green; and the amount of street fairs held all over the city. Plus much more.

Why are street fairs so limited in number in Grand Rapids? I think one reason is the lack of people that show up to these events. So every weekend, I look out for these events and I head out and hit the street, walking as much as I can.

I begin my weekends walking my "route." I start at the Farmer's Market on East Fulton, head down East Fulton to Carlton, walk through Eastown, and then head up Diamond to Cherry Street, back to East Fulton. Stopping in the buisness districts and pausing to look at the architecture. This area is called Uptown and is filled with unique locally owned businesses. I live, work, shop, play, and learn in Uptown. It is my neighborhood. I

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favorite walking route: Grandville Ave to Market then back again... Downtown I would have to say, start at my church on Pearl and Division then go all the way accross the river and make a right to Ford museum and up to Bridge, michigan, and down monroe to fulton. But, usually I stick SW or SE of downtown on my saturday walks.

Personally, I like starting at the top of Monroe (near Cafe Solace). First looking at the Civic Theatre building, enjoying the architecture of that building and then getting a little ticked at how dillapidated it is (when is Grand Action going to announce what they are willing to do with the Civic block?). I then walk down Monroe Center taking in the Italianate architecture (I love the Ledyard block). Look in the hole that will be the Art Museum, ponder whether it will be beautiful or gawdawful, through Rosa Park's, across Monroe to Campau and then cross the old train bridge. I love sitting over the river. It is a great view to take in the city. I then head down the path past the museums, hit the ped bridge and venture back.

I find this to be one of the best ways of viewing some of the rare historical gems we still have in GR.

My favorite street to walk by far though is Ionia. I love the "old city" feel of this block until you run into the aggregate rock, wind-sailing building. :)

Joe

GRGridGirl,

You need to formally announce these events. I just happened upon the Local First Street Festival. It was very cool (I hope it was a success). La Familiglia was awesome. Be sure to share these cool events. I was at Bistro Bella Vita and walked into the event because I had heard you mention it.

Good times.

Joe

During my walk (or often a bicycle ride) I like to stop and salute the lower residing 'chief of chiefs' that occupies my favorite Art Deco building. I can't help but get good vibes from the Standard Federal Bank Building (formerly the Trust Building). It's too bad that it doesn't still house the sought after 'weather ball'. Perhaps we would have been spared from being forced to watch the media battle over it. :silly:

I can't help but get good vibes from the Standard Federal Bank Building (formerly the Trust Building).

I believe the Trust building is actually the one across Monroe. The building you speak of was formerly known as the Michigan National Bank building. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But I too love that building. We probably all do.

I believe the Trust building is actually the one across Monroe.  The building you speak of was formerly known as the Michigan National Bank building.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But I too love that building.  We probably all do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct.

It's my downtown favorite; just see my avatar!

Archived