MPLS. 48-story Loring Park condo proposed

NorthStar

A Chicago developer has teamed up with a developer from Detroit and are planning to build a 30 to 35 story tower on Spruce Place next to the old Eitel Hospital. The plan includes 250 to 300 condos and townhomes as well as high-end apartments. According to the Business Journal, the developers will present their plan to Citizens for a Loring Park Community in June. If everything goes well, the project could break ground early next year.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I like it...but I don't. At 48 stories, and it's location, it would make our skyline look like Atlanta's in the sense we have tall towers scattered all over hell without some sort of...well...I don't know the word....

AT 35 stories, it would be taller than anything in Loring Park, but fit in and properly extend the skyline, IMO.

Either way, 35 or 48, I hope it gets built.

I like it...but I don't. At 48 stories, and it's location, it would make our skyline look like Atlanta's in the sense we have tall towers scattered all over hell without some sort of...well...I don't know the word....

AT 35 stories, it would be taller than anything in Loring Park, but fit in and properly extend the skyline, IMO.

Either way, 35 or 48, I hope it gets built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. They need to knock that back down to 35 stories, max if they're going to put it in Loring Park. Or, move it closer to other buildings its size. I don't think Minneapolis needs a condo building that exceeds the height of a premier office tower. That one proposed for Nicollet, however, will be a good fit for that area.

MrCoffee

The most annoying part...isn't the height...it is the fact that developers always (and I mean always!) sell a neighborhood on how great their development is going to be and ever so slowly the height keeps creeping up and the amenities promised the neighborhood keep going away.

I went to 3 or 4 meetings in elliot park recently and each time the developer came to the meeting the height of their building increased --despite the fact that at the first meeting the number one complaint was the height -- then when a neighborhood votes a project down the developers appears in a meeting like a victim of the city process!! -- boo hoo!

According to the Skyway News: "Magellan and Village Green and architects BKV Group presented three revised designs of a 39-story tower to Loring Park residents, who seemed to like what they saw."

The proposal went from 35 to 48 back to 39. I wonder if the developers had this in mind the whole time.

I agree.  They need to knock that back down to 35 stories, max if they're going to put it in Loring Park.  Or, move it closer to other buildings its size.  I don't think Minneapolis needs a condo building that exceeds the height of a premier office tower.  That one proposed for Nicollet, however, will be a good fit for that area.

MrCoffee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that too. I guess its good that it has been moved back to 39 stories. We have this problem in Norfolk though. A developer has proposed a 31-story building for downtown, but it is not near the CBD so it would stand out. I think it should be moved closer to the taller buildings too, but I would definitely rather have it built, no matter where it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seems like something that would fit better on, say, 5th and Nicollet or something. I'm not opposed to development on that site, but this building almost seems insulting for that neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree - I think a building like this is an indicator that people desire that location. That is a positive thing. I think throw-back low-rise architeture would be a real insult to a neighborhood that has the real deal.

I disagree - I think a building like this is an indicator that people desire that location.  That is a positive thing.  I think throw-back low-rise architeture would be a real insult to a neighborhood that has the real deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not talking about gauche brownstone replicas. I just think there are other options in the air. Eclectic architecture is one thing for a neighborhood, but this tower almost seems downright schizo, IMO.

Just seems like something that would fit better on, say, 5th and Nicollet or something. I'm not opposed to development on that site, but this building almost seems insulting for that neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it would be great downtown, but maybe a bit too much for Loring Park. I do, however, hope it gets built though.

• 4 weeks later...

Approved. :)

Group OKs 39-story Loring tower

By Jeremy Stratton

After nine months of intense and sometimes-contentious meetings, a Loring Park task force and developers have agreed on a plan that includes a 39-story condo tower for the Eitel Hospital site.

Skyway News

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

YES!! another score for the Minneapolis skyline! :D

I don't know why a lot of people don't like Grant Park. I think it is a nice looking tower and very fitting for Minneapolis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A bit off topic, but it seems to me that is is difficult to build a nice looking residential high rise --if you are going to include balconies. The balconies make the building look really busy and sorta messy --especially when people start putting their stuff on them. Add to that the fact that every unit has a different window treatment and the building looks even more busy. I prefer the look of the Carlye which is more streamlined or even Loring Green which set the balconies back into the building.

Archived