Web Cams

Zissou

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there's the always blurry skyline camera. WDIV has a camera on top of the Penobscot Building that they use to show live pictures of the weather downtown on their newscasts. That would make a much more interesting image, IMO.

windsorcam_640x480.jpg

There's also the Detroit River camera on Belle Isle

http://www.glmi.org/webcam/wcmain.htm

Then there's WXYZ's suburban webcams

http://web.wxyz.com/weather/webcams.html

Yeah, I can't help you there. Preservation Wayne used to be allowed to take tours to the roof of the Penobscot Building, but they are repairing the roof now, and have said that they are not going to let us up once they are finished, so I guess you have to watch the news if you want to see the views.

We need to get a Broderick Tower webcam or something, lol. I've made the climb up to the roof probably 30 times...it would be nice if I could enjoy the view from home.

I suppose I could secretly place one up there, lol. As far as I know, the Broderick is not allowed to have electricity above the 6th floor. There is a wire that runs up to the roof though, since in November some morons decided that they were going to put 15,000 Christmas lights around the top of the building. The idea was to light it up like this:

1784.jpg

The Broderick was once the most well illuminated building in the entire world. I have some of the 1928 exterior lighting plans, which were quite elaborate. There are still lights up there, but I don't know if they'd even work if they were turned on.

Anyway, the scheme these guys had did not work. The guys who did it found power on the 4th floor, but it wasn't nearly enough to power all those lights. As a last ditch effort they confronted the bar manager, who had no idea this was going on, since they were entering the building through an opening upstairs. Needless to say, he was not impressed, and had employees go up to take down all the lights. Today some of those lights are strung up in the bar, and on the second floor. It would've been cool to see had it worked. However, at the same time, the bar would've been shut down.

Yeah, it probably would get thrown out onto Woodward. Everything from flaming doors to glass, cinder blocks, satellite dishes, and antennas have been thrown out of that building at some point in the last few months. Fortunately that problem should be solved now that the building is sealed.

Does the owner plan on incorporating exterior lighting into the renovations when he turns it into a residential building? You guys have probably noticed that im a huge fan of having Detroit towers lit up at night.

Allan, I have a piece of garbage weather proof webcam that produces a real good image, but doesn't rotate all that well. The only problem is, it requires an extra long LAN cable. Even if one could extend down 34 floors, it would have nowhere to go after that. LOL

Zissou,

I really doubt the owner has thought about lighting yet. He's just trying to get the building renovated. He's had setback over setback over the last 20 years. The plans are approved, and have been approved for some time. The owner is now holding up the renovation of the building over stupid crap. And when the owner is not holding things up, the city is. Kwame has repeatedly tried to get the city in on the Broderick deal, but the owner refuses to let him. For a while it was to the point that the city was going to take the building.

They want to do a restaurant on the 33rd floor and a "rooftop element" that is lit at night. I am bit concerned about this rooftop element...I don't want them to destroy the look of the building. But things change, so who knows. I will just be happy once the building is renovated.

• 1 month later...

Archived