The Fan / Museum District

whw53

7 minutes ago, whw53 said:

I never really been through that area or at least not in some time...now that I'm street-viewing the site and surroundings I'm wondering if this was a missed opportunity to expand the Cleveland village commercial area up toward Kensington. Last picture is looking north from Cleveland village to Kensington, project site is grassy lawn on the right. Shrug - not sure what the appetite for that would be but it could've helped put this tiny retail corridor on the map..

I used to frequent the laundromat there and Cleveland Market is nice to have located there for residents.  Honestly, I think that is all that is really needed on Cleveland as there is a decent commercial corridor starting just two blocks over in Devil's Triangle.  I think keeping the Devil's Triangle area concentrated rather than spreading out would be better for businesses.  Given the disconnect from other row homes due to Lee Lofts encompassing most of the block, I think a small apartment building would have been better here but the rowhomes certainly work as well.

• Like 2

Nice looking development. Seems to fit in very nicely. Icetera - indeed, an apartment building would be great there - but still nice to see rowhouses fill those vacant lots. I went to Benedictine - admittedly almost 40 years ago now - and given its proximity, I do recall Cleveland Street fondly. Nice to see action picking up there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice looking development. Seems to fit in very nicely. Icetera - indeed, an apartment building would be great there - but still nice to see rowhouses fill those vacant lots. I went to Benedictine - admittedly almost 40 years ago now - and given its proximity, I do recall Cleveland Street fondly. Nice to see action picking up there.

I certainly miss being within a 2 drunken block walk from their Oktoberfest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

that's awesome! Hope this becomes a trend in already established Richmond neighborhoods wherever possible. I believe there are cities that do that - such that the alley almost becomes a "de facto" small street. i keep thinking Philadelphia. London I believe has sections of town like that. Imagine how density of some Richmond neighborhoods could increase with the addition of alley-facing housing.

More Museum District infill to track...these are two adjoining projects along Cutshaw Ave. 

Project 'A' -3305 - 3311 Cutshaw. City Council approved a rezoning for the parcel here in July that upzoned the plot from R-48 to R-63 density, the argument being this was a better transitional density between TOD-1 and less dense zoning south. This was to facilitate infill on the back piece of the land along the alley, which will be familiar theme in Museum District. Preliminary designs shown below - this will add 4 units in 2 separate buildings - 1 for each parcel. 

Project 'B' - 3315-3317 Cutshaw. A POD was received by the city this week to add a 2 dwelling unit building to each at each address here - real similar to proposal above. A little confused since this is a single large parcel that contains the U shaped apartment block - not sure about placement either- I guess these would have to go on the front green area...

CUTSHAW_IMAGE.jpg

3503_3511CUTSHAW.jpg

3315_331CUTSHAW.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Fantastic! Wow - it's exciting to think that we may start seeing a rising tide of alley-facing residential buildings start springing up in the Museum District. That will definitely boost density, even if only incrementally - though depending on how many available parcels exist - and how many developers buy and build out - when added together, it could be quite impressive in the long run.

• 1 month later...
  • Icetera changed the title to The Fan / Museum District
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesss! This is what I was hooping for - both lots being built on. More new retail space will be good for the Uptown corridor along Main. LOL there is literally someone complaining about 3 story buildings on the Reddit discussion.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, whw53 said:

Yesss! This is what I was hooping for - both lots being built on. More new retail space will be good for the Uptown corridor along Main. LOL there is literally someone complaining about 3 story buildings on the Reddit discussion.

And they're kvetching about having to walk more than a block to their cars. SMH... :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, whw53 said:

What a surprise. The BANANAs (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody) strike again!

• Haha 4

I was actually looking forward to this project, but the Residence Inn planned for Thompson/Floyd is now dead.   A LLC tied to Woodfin has purchased the lot.  Doesn't sound too promising...

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/12/15/carytown-site-that-had-been-planned-for-a-residence-inn-has-new-owner/

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I was actually looking forward to this project, but the Residence Inn planned for Thompson/Floyd is now dead.   An LLC tied to Woodfin has purchased the lot.  Doesn't sound too promising...

https://richmondbizsense.com/2020/12/15/carytown-site-that-had-been-planned-for-a-residence-inn-has-new-owner/

Yeah, this is really a bad news story.  It's hard to believe no one wants to build a hotel right now due to COVID, but this thing won' t last forever.  You'd think hotels would be prepping now for when things normalize.  The best investments are when you run toward the fire when the fire is raging, that way when the fire dies out you are already pre-positioned and ready to go!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, marinog711 said:

Is it true that Carytown exchange is now abandoning plans to build along cary st?

Their merchandising plan online still shows retail along Cary St. I imagine they will build it but are not in a rush to do so. The storefronts along Ellwood are wrapping up and look really nice. Tenants will come. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, marinog711 said:

Is it true that Carytown exchange is now abandoning plans to build along cary st?

I think I saw construction continuing on the western portion at the Cary street entrance (Publix  entrance towards the Union First Market Bank.  There is electric and plumbing sticking up out of the ground.  The eastern side of the entrance looks like it has been back filled and graded.  I except it will have sod soon. 

• Like 1