The Fan / Museum District

whw53

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, rjp212 said:

The Pizza Hut across from the Science Museum shut down a month or so ago.  Today, I noticed Thalhimer listed 20,000 sf of retail space as available there, but according to tax records, the Pizza Hut was only 8,110 sf.  Could something be afoot?

https://www.thalhimer.com/properties/2343-w-broad-street

To add, the Pizza Hut is one of two buildings at 3,690 SqFt with Sally  Bell's Kitchen being the other building sharing the lot at 4,420 SqFt.  Deducting Sally Bell's at 2337 W Broad leaves about 12,328
SqFt of space including the dividing parking lot.   Perhaps they are looking to demolish the Pizza Hut and build a 2 story structure to replace it and the lot, leaving Sally Bell's intact?

Blue building not included:
image.thumb.png.f0c324a6ec5cd495009d1b1aed317347.png

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, whw53 said:

Week of 2\7 - Permit & Plan applications of note

2. Ok, this one is interesting - 4 demo permits were submitted and are under review this week for the 4 structures in this one parcel highlighted below. (2606-2612 W Cary St.) 4 buildings, 4 permits - all permits state 'demolish entire building' - looks like someone has plans for this piece of land here. I only attached one of the 4 permit record images from the portal.

CaryStDemopermit.jpg

CaryStDemo.jpg

Details from BizSense on replacement 2 story mixed-use development:

Flint is planning a two-story, 9,000-square-foot building for the 0.25-acre site. It will include a 4,000-square-foot retail space on the bottom floor for Hive. It will be Hive’s fourth location, adding to spots in Bon Air, Scott’s Addition and the West End.

The building’s upper level will house a handful of apartments, with a mix of one- and two-bedroom units with both front- and rear-facing balconies.

The land’s zoning, B-6 Mixed Use Business District, allows for up to four stories and permits Flint to build the new project by right.

“I wanted to do something larger because of the zoning but I saw construction costs increasing rapidly when planning that,” he said.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/15/row-of-fan-office-buildings-to-be-razed-for-salon-anchored-development/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I love how UP is ahead of the press nowadays.  Good job!

I gotta say, this is awesome!  In fact, the press should come here for information on prospective stories, 'cause we got 'em!  However, there are times when we are blindsided by a good, juicy story that is so secretive, no one knows until the info goes public.   Despite that though, we are pretty good...thanks to this team right here! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

What’s up with the old Arby’s? 

Years ago it was supposed to be turned into a Zaxby’s (yuck).  About 6 months ago I heard (probably on here) that the Starbucks that was burned near Lombardy was reopening at this location.  About a week ago they started working on the building.  The front of the building has been carefully demolished (roof is still up).  Is this the Starbucks?  

I was hoping that something more would come of this lot  but whatever is going here will have the same footprint as Arby’s....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Icetera said:

I have to concur with some of the comments there - 2 story for 2 story isnt cutting it for me here, especially when owner can build by right to 4 and that part of Fan with all those bars is super hot.  I know a couple more stories doesn't change the skyline but it creates a different feel fast from a pedestrian perspective. Something can work here - a modest 3 or 4 story building like the old Baja Bean parking lot is slated for or that Sauer is about to put up next to their parking garage for inspiration..

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

What’s up with the old Arby’s? 

Years ago it was supposed to be turned into a Zaxby’s (yuck).  About 6 months ago I heard (probably on here) that the Starbucks that was burned near Lombardy was reopening at this location.  About a week ago they started working on the building.  The front of the building has been carefully demolished (roof is still up).  Is this the Starbucks?  

I was hoping that something more would come of this lot  but whatever is going here will have the same footprint as Arby’s....

I forgot where i saw it - but i was under impression Starbucks as well. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, whw53 said:

I have to concur with some of the comments there - 2 story for 2 story isnt cutting it for me here, especially when owner can build by right to 4 and that part of Fan with all those bars is super hot.  I know a couple more stories doesn't change the skyline but it creates a different feel fast from a pedestrian perspective. Something can work here - a modest 3 or 4 story building like the old Baja Bean parking lot is slated for or that Sauer is about to put up next to their parking garage for inspiration..

I forgot where i saw it - but i was under impression Starbucks as well. 

I 100% concur, whw53. I thought the same thing - why limit this to two stories? Something 3 or 4 stories would give it a much more urban feel -- as you said, from a pedestrian perspective -- and that's important. I'm guessing the cost factor was the driving part of this, especially if they're looking to go residential over retail. Still - two extra floors of residential would really add to the area.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I 100% concur, whw53. I thought the same thing - why limit this to two stories? Something 3 or 4 stories would give it a much more urban feel -- as you said, from a pedestrian perspective -- and that's important. I'm guessing the cost factor was the driving part of this, especially if they're looking to go residential over retail. Still - two extra floors of residential would really add to the area.

In the article, the developer blames increasing construction costs.  Smells like bull but perhaps he just could not secure the financing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Icetera said:

In the article, the developer blames increasing construction costs.  Smells like bull but perhaps he just could not secure the financing.

I guarantee you that's the case.

Nine times out of ten, it is. So he 'saves face' by blaming construction costs. It's a shame - because that area could do with some four-story residential-over-retail type buildings.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

It’s also his property and he can do what he wants by right. Perhaps did not want to do something bigger?  :tw_smiley: we all want density but it’s not as if it’s being turned into a parking lot. 
PS - I don’t have any skin in this, but it’s always fun spending other people’s money without spending all of their effort. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It’s also his property and he can do what he wants by right. Perhaps did not want to do something bigger?  :tw_smiley: we all want density but it’s not as if it’s being turned into a parking lot. 
PS - I don’t have any skin in this, but it’s always fun spending other people’s money without spending all of their effort. 

It really is fun, isn't it? :tw_smiley:

6 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Baja Bean parking lot proposal back in front of CAR this month after a design change.  Looks like board wanted some separation between the buildings so applicant added in a small plaza and modernized the design around it. Pretty neat.

Love the updates.

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, Icetera said:

Land Disturbance plans filed this week for this project. 

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/bd598c3c-07ae-44fa-8268-26342e31e18f

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Update on this one - project was formally introduced to city council monday evening. SUP intended to facilitate site layout options and setbacks that would otherwise not b allowed in zoning district.

Full application materials here - https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4950063&GUID=1B576E6F-0AF0-4CC5-95A2-3ED1D9FA8753&Options=&Search=

From the applicant's report - "The proposal consists of a high-quality multifamily residential development and associated amenities, accessory uses, and structured parking. The site layout generally consists of two buildings with central courtyard amenity spaces that flank a central garage structure. The proposed complex would contain a total of 263 dwelling units and would be five stories in height"

3700Monument_plani.jpg

3700Monument_render1.jpg

3700map.jpg

Nice.  Looks good and subtracts a surface parking lot.  

• Like 2