The Fan / Museum District

whw53

10 minutes ago, Hike said:

Totally different problem there it sounds like where knowing is great but still no help, plus about 7.5 million more people in the way. I do have to say, the visit I had to Chicago was excellent, everyone was nice,  helpful, city was clean, really enjoyed it, didn’t drive though, brother in law did all that. 

Yep - exactly. Knowing where to go is great but only marginally helpful here.  Very true - the entire Chicagoland area here is between 9 million and 10 million population - with somewhere north of 2.6 million in the city itself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Aside from what you mentioned, a big takeaway is that a serious player with no ties to the area thinks that Richmond is a good place in which to develop and invest.  

Exactly!!!  The very same can be said of Avery Hall with their potentially epic development planned for Manchester, which is part of why I am SO infuriated with the NIMBYs who are squawking so much about that development.

Serious players like ASH NYC, Avery Hall, etc., taking stock of Richmond as a good and ripe place in which to develop and invest - and coming here and sinking their money into the city - this is precisely, 100%, absolutely the very thing we need to happen a LOT more. It's been happening in our "peer" cities for quite some time now (and continues to do so) - it's definitely Richmond's time now. The city must - MUST - embrace these major out-of-town investors and encourage them and other out-of-market developers to come here to plant their seeds and grow them into amazing developments that will benefit Richmond.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, whw53 said:

8 unit infill project slated for the vacant 2818 Monument Ave. per SUP filing earlier this month.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/125af205-fb2b-4687-9776-e990e7d0f1f2?tab=contacts

2818.JPG

LOVE IT!! A narrow, deep lot - VERY New York. What's the over/under - four stories? If it's eight apartments, two per floor? Given how narrow the lot is, I can't envision anything more than two units per floor.

18 hours ago, whw53 said:

8 unit infill project slated for the vacant 2818 Monument Ave. per SUP filing earlier this month.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/125af205-fb2b-4687-9776-e990e7d0f1f2?tab=contacts

2818.JPG

Absolutely love this. It's on Monument so I hope they create something beautiful and fitting architecturally. I imagine these will be priced around $800k-1.2m just like the units near this development that sold rather "quickly" for their pricepoint. I wonder if developer will be reaching for something less expensive, therefore more units, since the market has slowed down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Absolutely love this. It's on Monument so I hope they create something beautiful and fitting architecturally. I imagine these will be priced around $800k-1.2m just like the units near this development that sold rather "quickly" for their pricepoint. I wonder if developer will be reaching for something less expensive, therefore more units, since the market has slowed down.

According to the filing, it's for apartments -- so I don't think there are any condos in the mix.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Better than empty lot...but I would love to see more home/apt/condo ownership being built in the city.

If -- and when -- Tom Papa moves on his Manchester projects, South Falls III is supposed to be a condominium tower. He has said publicly that he's a tad hesitant to develop for-sale properties rather than for-rent properties for a number of reasons that impact construction costs, maintenance, etc. I honestly hope he goes forward with both South Falls II and III - because it would be awesome to get that mix of owner-occupied residential development introduced into the mix. I particularly like that he's proposing an 11-story building in which to put condos on the Manchester riverfront. I get the impression that folks who advocate for more home ownership in the city tend to push for townhomes, rowhouses or projects like 2 over 2's -- all of which are nice, but are only marginally impactful from the standpoint of density and "best and highest use" of a give parcel. There's no reason (aside from development costs - and our CRE gurus could educate us more about the differences between developing mid-and-high-rise condos vs apartments) we can't have a nice mix of verticality and home ownership.

My best guess is that if we can land some significant business recruitment wins and bring in more companies and jobs that will help drive population growth in both the city and the metro, we'll start to see more condominium development in the city.

23 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Tom Papa moves on his Manchester projects, South Falls III is supposed to be a condominium tower. He has said publicly that he's a tad hesitant to develop for-sale properties rather than for-rent properties for a number of reasons that impact construction costs, maintenance, etc.

If I recall, I think the biggest reason he gave was simply his inexperience with For-Sale properties.  Time to gain some!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

If I recall, I think the biggest reason he gave was simply his inexperience with For-Sale properties.  Time to gain some!

Thanks, Ice. I put more stock in your memory than I do mine (I've always said my memory is -- at best -- swiss cheese -- and at most -- a colander :tw_joy:)  Now that you mention it, I believe you are 100% correct - and YES!!! I AGREE!! It's time for him to gain some experience in condo development!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, whw53 said:

SUP filing indicates first piece of Dominion's facility off Robinson is moving through the entitlement process. 26 multi-family units targeted for lot between Stafford and Addison right up against the Downtown Expressway.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/SelfService/richmondvaprod#/plan/616bffdd-e7a3-4ed1-9568-7c949ad222cc?tab=contacts

infill_stafford.JPG

WOW! Really great wedge of infill there. I wonder if the corresponding wedge shaped surface lot south of Grayland/next to the expressway off-ramp will eventually get developed in a similar fashion as well?

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:36 PM, I miss RVA said:

WOW! Really great wedge of infill there. I wonder if the corresponding wedge shaped surface lot south of Grayland/next to the expressway off-ramp will eventually get developed in a similar fashion as well?

26 multi-family units on that tiny sliver of land??? Can we assume multi-floor as well?!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

We have BizSense confirmation (and visuals) on this.

It's 26 townhomes. It fills out the plot quite nicely, I find. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/19/two-dozen-townhomes-planned-for-dominion-owned-site-near-the-fan/

dominion-energy-fan-audeo-partners-townhomes-renderings.jpeg

Oh good golly Miss Molly -- this is GORGEOUS!!! HOLY WOW!!!

Now, can we get another one of these on the vacant almost carbon-copy shape/size plot one block southwest of this site - immediate south of the former GRTC bus barns (south side of Grayland Avenue)? I believe that parcel is also owned by Dominion.

WOW - I'm very impressed!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

We have BizSense confirmation (and visuals) on this.

It's 26 townhomes. It fills out the plot quite nicely, I find. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/12/19/two-dozen-townhomes-planned-for-dominion-owned-site-near-the-fan/

dominion-energy-fan-audeo-partners-townhomes-renderings.jpeg

They look nice and like they will fit the neighborhood well. But a bunch are basically facing the expressway, and another group are in an alley. 🙃

• Like 1